Any tricks for an easy removal of the center stand

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello. Anyone has any trick to remove the center stand fast?

I changed the rearset on my fizzer last year and since then the center stand has been a bit clunky since it doesn't have a proper resting on the original rearset.

I have hence decided to remove the center stand and just use it by putting the bolt back on for winter storage. I don't use it otherwise. So off I went to unscrew the two very tight bolts on each side. After which, the bolt on the right side slipped off easily but the one on the left side is blocked by the side stand bracket. So it just can't come out unless I remove the side stand as well, which basically means I have to find a way to make the bike stand on its own to be able to do that since both stands are going to be unusable. Since I do not have a garage assistant, I was wondering if anyone had a way around this? From previous posts I read, it seemed to have been an easy job. So is there a better way of doing this?

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
it will definitely come off with the side stand still bolted up,,, I havent done it in quite a while, but I know I didnt have to take the side stand off.
iirc I used a ratcheting wrench and a box wrench to take the center stand off, I think I left the bracket there ( I was planning on putting the center stand back on in a few days anyways)

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get it off with the bike on its side stand. I don't remember where I saw this but this has worked for me a number of times.

First, put the bike on the center stand. Get some spare change and a set if pliers(I like linesman) and shove some coins in between the springs. Try to go from two sides to get them to stretch evenly. Once you've got about eight or so coins in take the bike off the center stand and put it on the side stand. I remember the problem with the bolt , but I believe I was able to get it off with an open end wrench. It's been a while so I could be wrong. If there's no way to get it out, try loosening the side stand bolts a little to give you some room. If it still won't go you might have to spring for a rear stand that has paddles for the swing arm. Don't know if they have harbour freight up there but they sell one for cheap that you'll want anyway once you take off the center stand. On that note, just look around the online classifieds and see if you can find a used pit bull stand. Next time I'm at the bike I'll take a closer look and see if I can remember how I took it off

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a nice trick with the spring and the coins.

I definitely can't remove the bolt with the side stand on. I'm wondering whether the side stand bracket is different for some models/years.

You can get it off with the bike on its side stand. I don't remember where I saw this but this has worked for me a number of times.

First, put the bike on the center stand. Get some spare change and a set if pliers(I like linesman) and shove some coins in between the springs. Try to go from two sides to get them to stretch evenly. Once you've got about eight or so coins in take the bike off the center stand and put it on the side stand. I remember the problem with the bolt , but I believe I was able to get it off with an open end wrench. It's been a while so I could be wrong. If there's no way to get it out, try loosening the side stand bolts a little to give you some room. If it still won't go you might have to spring for a rear stand that has paddles for the swing arm. Don't know if they have harbour freight up there but they sell one for cheap that you'll want anyway once you take off the center stand. On that note, just look around the online classifieds and see if you can find a used pit bull stand. Next time I'm at the bike I'll take a closer look and see if I can remember how I took it off

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a nice trick with the spring and the coins.

I definitely can't remove the bolt with the side stand on. I'm wondering whether the side stand bracket is different for some models/years.

Just pick up a rear stand then. You will like it for oil changes, chain maintenance, etc.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got my hands on a rear stand - $48 for an oxford rear stand. It works with both spool or on the swingarm directly :cheer:

The center stand is now out. For those wondering - you need to remove the side stand before you can remove the center stand. That's from a 2007 model.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ran into the same issue prepping for my last track day. I bought a rear stand from harbor freight for 30 bucks, loosened the side stand bolts half way, and unbolted the center stand.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is more helpful for the install than removal.

Roll the bike up on 2X4's, place it in gear and lean it against a wall. Now the center stand can fold straight down without contacting the ground. It makes it easier to align the bolts giving you more control during install.