Anybody heard of this?

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
So I keep getting this big slice in my boot from where the shifter lever over 3 months time rips a big whole in my left boot. I've gone through 2 or 3 pairs now. I've heard of this little gizmo that helps prevent that but I can't find it anywhere or even what its called.

Its basically a boot strap that goes over your toe with a little plate or hard plastic where the shifter would make contact with your boot. The little hard plastic would take the damage of the shifter over time, and not my boot. I know they're definitely not just called Boot Straps because those only hold your pantlegs down to your boot. I'm referring to a "shifter boot strap" or something but haven't been able to track one down yet. Have any of you ever heard of this strap i talk of?

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to sound too crass, but if you've gone through 2-3 pairs of regular boots already, why not just invest in some decent motorcycle boots that are designed for this? I've had my current boots for 6 years and the toe still looks new. I'm only replacing them because the insides have worn out a bit too much to be comfortable.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are these little shift lever covers that I think I saw at the Cycle Gear web site or store.

Found them at another site: http://www.ryderclips.com/buy_shiftsocks.php

sockproducts.jpg

Last edited:

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
From his avatar pic you can see what looks like a pair of runners (excuse me if I'm wrong). A good pair of motorcycle boots will have shifter protectection and many other types of protection. Time for some riding pants as well. ATGATT! :thumbup:

george0029

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with everyone else on recommending that you get real riding boots. They are made with protection for this and will likely SAVE YOUR FOOT if you lay the bike down on top of it. However if that's totally out of the question, I've seen these before at Motorcycle Superstore. They're called "shift boot protectors".

Nelson-Rigg Shift Boot Protector - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Personally I think they look terrible so I looked around a bit and I found these from some company making bootleg alpinestars, they definitely look a lot better and they're cheap too. However, good luck finding them anywhere else. I wasn't able to.

Motorcycle Shoe Gear Shifter Boot Cover Guard Shoe Guard - Red - Free Shipping

iw1324630032_image.jpg

galen

Reaction score
Visit site

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
It's like $200 for a decent pair of racing-style motorcycle boots (probably less for the non-racing look) that have a "shifter plate" built in.

I've had my SIDI strada evo air boots for about a year now, and there are seriously no scratches on the shifter plate at all. I've been extremely pleasantly surprised by them.

Best $200 I've ever spent on my feet. :)

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the riding boots idea. Even if they're not high boots...they'll at least have a harder area where the shifter hits and won't wear down. Generally a great investment for riding.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site

That's it, sweet man I'm gonna scoop one of those.

And I would use riding boots, and they're probably the best idea. But two reasons that at the moment I won't be buying riding boots:

1. Budgeting while going to school doesn't really allot me an extra 200$ to spend on a good pair of riding boots.

2. I don't like carrying 2 pairs of shoes everywhere I go. I'm already a pack mule with all of my gear, school books and supplies, and a full set of rain gear. If I can just buy a 5$ shifter boot cover - that would solve my issue temporarily until I graduate

And they're not jogging shoes homie they're caterpillar work boots past the ankle. Better something than nothing - at least I try.

Good looks tho thanks I'll be buying one and hopefully in the future saddle bags :)()and riding boots.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't wear my riding boots to work so I wear my standard boots/shoes. Never had a problem really.

Bigger problem I find is that I wear through the soles much faster than I do the shifter bit. But that's probably because I wrap my toes around the pegs.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
as i do not agree with riding with normal shoes and boots, i do agree with why isn't some manufacture making a halfway decent riding, walking around boot or shoe.. this way we would have the best of both worlds without having to lug extra shoes around...

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
as i do not agree with riding with normal shoes and boots, i do agree with why isn't some manufacture making a halfway decent riding, walking around boot or shoe.. this way we would have the best of both worlds without having to lug extra shoes around...

Plenty make normal shoes - Held comes to mind (much less then 200), BMW makes all kind of nice boots and they are not pricey too, Dainese (if your budget all0ws), etc

I have pair of BMW sneakers for really hot weather, perforated Held high boots for most of the riding and BMW wateproof high boots for rain/toruing/etc. I did not pay more then 200 for any of them and I can walk around all day in them no problem. And as a bonus - they look like normal boots.

BMW sneakers:
shsh.jpg

Held perforated:
bottes-moto-ete-summer-breeze-held.jpg

BMW toruing boot:
72607691278_bmw_allroundboots.jpg

BMW city boot:
city_boots_s.jpg

I would not rely much on work boots - several years ago guy in my MSF course broke his ankle in front of me. He was wearing work boots

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
No offense to OP, but I find it funny when people are riding $5000+ motorcycles while spending hundreds for insurance, but "can't afford" a $200 pair of proper riding boots (or any good riding gear in general)

I never ride without my riding boots. I use my feet often enough I want to protect them best in a crash. For riding to/from work, I just leave a pair of shoes at my desk and change into them when I get to work.