Anyone know where I can get just the Y-pipe for exhaust?

KB2WYL

CQ CQ, DE KB2WYL
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking to find just the Y-pipe for an aftermarket exhaust system. Any kind would do, just easier for me than getting the stainless, welding the Y, and figuring out the bend. I see the "De-Cat" mid pipes everywhere, but I'm trying to find the Y that comes after so that I can play around with a few ideas for slip ons. Thanks everyone :D,

Loren

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might try contacting Scorpion or some other company.

As you noted, the bends, flared fitting, etc could keep you busy...

**You could also hack the pipe off the stock muffler, you'd be half ways there at that point.

"Y" off that pipe (while bolted up), bringing the other side equally to the port side...That'd be a good starting point..

KB2WYL

CQ CQ, DE KB2WYL
Reaction score
Visit site
That was my thought as well...but...the stock exhaust is only stainless headers as I recall. When I cut open the muffler itself to gut it, I know that it is just plain steel, and I'm pretty sure the pipe after the midpipe, leading up to the mufffler, is just steel as well. One of the things I'd like to try is making my own cans. I think I'd have to make them out of stainless if I want to do the tail tidy and have them hanging out in the open for all to see. So I'd want that "y" to be stainless as well.

Although I could paint it I suppose, in any case I'd be better than stock....

Thanks!

Loren

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that the header, mid-pipe and the pipe to the muffler are not SS rather nickle plated or something to that effect. The reason being if you break through the surface, it quickly rusts. That said, not all SS is rust free.

Also, I've welded the header and mid-pipes with SS rod and they are not rusting after being subjected to the elements on thise rain soaked rides. So there is that.

Yes, the oem muffler is steel and coated with ?????

Do a search on here.... I have a thread full of links to places outside motorcycle realm for Y pipes and such. Small displacement turbo projects have a need in this arena.... the materials are out there.

Some will charge an arm and leg tho so avoid seamless mandrel bent and you might be ok.

KB2WYL

CQ CQ, DE KB2WYL
Reaction score
Visit site
True and true...I'm just happy that they at least used a coating that doesn't rust. As you know, steel in general has become less pure, rather has more impurities, as manufacturers move to cheaper sources/methods. It's a PIA with a lot of the work I do when I need a nut or bolt right now, and locally the only things I can get are weak, have impure coatings, etc. Either way, from the midpipe back I should be able to weld with SS 308 rod and be ok. Nothing is under any appreciable stress.

I'll check out your links and see what I can come up with, thanks. One of the tools for my little fab shop that I am yet to come up with is a pipe notcher, as I don't want to waste $ on a cheapo. Suppose I could build one easily enough though. This is one of the times where I think about tubing benders (I have a roller, but not a bender), but I've been reluctant to buy one of those as well since most of them under $1k will bend this sort of stuff fine, but not the heavier walled tubing I often work with. Luckily I have a steel shop close by, so getting my hands on tubing/pipe stock is easy enough. Like I said, I would like to give a shot at building some cans, but I'm not opposed to ordering these either. There are plenty out there that look great, for 50$ each brand new, if one had the Y pipe ending at whatever distance was needed from the tail for whichever cans one picked up. There's also the other bike option, not because I want "R1 cans" or whatever on my bike, but because they are cheap and can be made like new with elbow grease and a new packing.

Whatever I do, I'll be sure to take pics. and post them up. I thought I was done for at least a little while after the last round of mods/rebuilds, but with the weather here and another 10 days of rain forecast.....

Thanks again guys, I need to get the tail tidy cut out too so maybe today I'll start ripping back in to the rear end :rolleyes:

Loren

KB2WYL

CQ CQ, DE KB2WYL
Reaction score
Visit site
Little break....Phew....First time I've ever put together an exhaust system from scratch. Taking tons of pictures...If this works, it's going to be pretty neat!

Loren

KB2WYL

CQ CQ, DE KB2WYL
Reaction score
Visit site
WEll I am up way too late. Have school early in morning. But I had to send this. If I get up early enough I'll post a little more, for now just going to put up the first pic I took, and the last, nothing in-between he he he.

Question...when you guys have done the tail tidy...you know that piece under the tail, kind of an "A" shape, that the wires for back lights are tied to. Seems like it's only purpose is to hold the front of the fender, that we're now taking off. I'm playing around with removing it altogether and just tying the wires up a little higher right under the seat. I'm also playing around with leaving it on there, and making a thin piece of metal that screws to it and goes all the way from the tail to the front of it, that way when you looked up from under the tail, you would just see a long flat triangle, like they do the plastics on some bikes. What do you guys think? I searched for pics, but most of the tail tidy jobs are with everything else stock, or maybe aftermarket cans, but still not much in the way of mods back there except fender gone and tail tidy in.

Anyhow....this is going to be neat. There's a muffler shop here, guys been doing it for 40 years, these were his idea. With all I'm taking off, and then adding, I gain about 2 lbs. Guess I'll have to skip breakfast next time I ride to even it out Blah

IMG_2623.JPGIMG_2644.JPG

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Those look pretty long! Hope they fit!
As for the bracket; cut off the bottom of the " A " saving the 90° bends that secure the tail section to the pods. It has nuts welded into it. Otherwise the pods flop as they have nothing solid to mount to.

Some thread somewhere has or had pictures of what I kept. You'll figure it out the moment you press on the side pods to install them!

Good job! Now gow ride!

KB2WYL

CQ CQ, DE KB2WYL
Reaction score
Visit site
Wish I could have rode today...It ended up not raining all day while I was at school. But with no plate, signals, or muffler, I think I may have stuck out a bit ha ha. And yeah, they fit all right. Of course, I'm going to saw off the last 2" or so. Not going for the buzz lightyear look here ha ha. The guy at the muffler shop and I had a talk about sound and velocity and torque curves....these aren't like the normal glass packs that are 2" at least on the inside, these are 1.75" just like the rest of our exhaust. Instead of the normal perforated surface, these have these little ripples that are supposed to create low pressure and help with scavenging. Even he admitted he wasn't sure about all that, but he said this was the way to go for keeping velocity up, torque curve from raising even higher than it already is, and sound that's, well, not quite straight pipes ;-)

More pics tonight

Loren