Around 900 RPMs

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm hearing a change in the pitch of my engine around 900 rpms. I don't feel any change in power just a change it pitch in pitch. I've only had my bike a little more than a month and didn't notice this sound before. The only thing I have done since I bought it is let yummy dealership look over everything and I cleaned and lubed my chain.

It is a higher pitch not a lower pitch. Could it be the turbo charger kicking in??? LOL

Any ideas what this could be?

You shouldn't hear anything at 900 rpm... idle speed is around 1250 rpm. What is your bike doing running that low or do you mean 9000 rpm?

You shouldn't hear anything at 900 rpm... idle speed is around 1250 rpm. What is your bike doing running that low or do you mean 9000 rpm?

woops, let me add another '0' to that, 9000 RPMs. It just hits a higher pitch around that time other than your normal acceleration sound.

woops, let me add another '0' to that, 9000 RPMs. It just hits a higher pitch around that time other than your normal acceleration sound.

Yep it is the sound of your jaw cracking through smiling too much when you start to tap the powerband.

No, no, it's the VTEC kicking in! ;)

vtec_yo.jpg

Sorry, I had to. Not sure what that sound is other than it's what the engine sounds like at 9000 RPM.

Wish my dealer was yummy.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the wise cracks and the info. I would have teed off on my own question if I was sure of the answer..... :p

:america:

sounds to me like your just hitting the powerband.....try accelerating through till 12,000-14,000 and see if the sound stays smooth. If it does, that's just the sound of hitting the powerband, if not and there is something specific at 9,000 that isn't happening anywhere else in the rpm cycle, then you may want to have it looked at further.

Just turn up the music on the I pod and keep it above 10grand and you will be to busy to worry about a change in engine pitch. It's a Fizzer-don't worry.

sounds to me like your just hitting the powerband.....try accelerating through till 12,000-14,000 and see if the sound stays smooth. If it does, that's just the sound of hitting the powerband, if not and there is something specific at 9,000 that isn't happening anywhere else in the rpm cycle, then you may want to have it looked at further.

I haven't gotten it up to 14,000..maybe 12,000?? However, that pitch in noise continue past 9,000 so must be the powerband like everyone is talking about. Maybe we can put this post in "What I've learned"???

Is there a limiter once it gets up to 14,000?

Thanks for the info.

Mine does the same thing at about 8000 rpm. Mine is the clutch lever vibrating. Reach out with with your left fingers and put pressure on your clutch straight down (towards the ground). That should cause the vibration to stop. It doesn't bother me anymore. I figured it out by searching these forums and found other members with the same problem.

Hope this helps.

No harm intended, but I love how the answer to everything for this AWESOME bike is "WRING ITS NECK AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS"... ;) Seems to be the cure for everything from a vibration in the bars to a bad day... Get to get it out for the first time this year tomorrow! As for the noise, it got to me too at first. (My first bike, so I'm paranoid) Once you get used to the high rpms these bikes love that sound will FORCE you to smile... :)

If it's anything like my yz 125, you're just getting it "up on the pipe" ...The powerband goes from / to |

Seems like it does anyways.

Back