Back to stock exhaust from Leo Vince

D

Dave.TX

When I purchased my bike a month ago it came with Leo Vince SBK exhaust, no DB killers included. I didn't like the loud sound in the beginning and after a few long rides I still didn't like it. I contacted Leo Vince USA which gave me the part number (307037801R) for the inserts and they only had one in stock. They're $43 retail from them, each. I'm not about to spend $100 or more to somewhat quiet down the exhaust until I know I'll like it. If I can find someone local that's willing to let me borrow the inserts for me to test I'll do that first.

So the stock exhaust went on today. I had to buy that used from a forum member (thanks Alan!). It was in good shape, only had to order the bottom gasket which no one had in stock. Rode it around the neighborhood today and so far I like it better than the Leo's. With the airbox mod that was done by the previous owner I'm getting that noise up front but that doesn't really bother me any.

Next on the to-do list is a throttle body sync and I'll make my own manometer tomorrow to do that with. I adjusted the idle from about 900 to about 1350 or so. It was low with the Leo's and didn't change with the stock exhaust.

2011-09-29_12-32-40_389.jpg

You should know what the stock exhaust looks like by now:
2011-09-29_12-30-46_791-1.jpg

By the way, the person I emailed at Leo Vince USA was extremely polite and helpful, her name is Josie Gomez. I told her that I'd taken off the Leo's and put the stock back on and she suggested I look online to see if anyone was getting rid of theirs, then wished me a good weekend.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
You should know what the stock exhaust looks like by now:
2011-09-29_12-30-46_791-1.jpg

You know you're missing a part of the rear? (the lip in between the 2 exhaust holes, that go down to where the original rear fender used to be??)

Grtz,

Degake

Last edited:
D

Dave.TX

You know you're missing a part of the rear? (the lip in between the 2 exhaust holes, that go down to the rear fender??)

The bike has SW Motech mounts for the Givi hard bags. I suppose when the previous owner did the upgrades they cut the black plastic piece. I'm not too worried about it. The fender was removed before I bought the bike.

I may get creative and paint some of the exhaust shroud black. Not all of it, just some, including that section between the two outlets. That might help its appearance.

D

Dave.TX

yeah how much for the leos

In my best Dr. Evil voice, "One million dollars." Not for sale yet. If I do I'll post 'em in the for sale section. Buncha vultures on this forum... :BLAA:

I'm gonna go on a weekend ride, hopefully Sunday. Gotta see how she runs with stock exhaust and sync'd throttle bodies. :thumbup:

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
i got 2 leo silencers will send em to you for free , do you have a picture of the ones you need

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put some Leo's on one of my FZ6's at one point....sounded awful, sold them, and put OEM pipes back on!

:D

D

Dave.TX

I put some Leo's on one of my FZ6's at one point....sounded awful, sold them, and put OEM pipes back on!

:D

They're definitely not for everyone. I had a Honda 250R fourtrax for the desert with a loud pipe, that was no problem. For the street, I don't want my exhaust to drown out every other noise out there. Loud, droning noises actually add stress. I've been riding long days (last Sunday left the house at 8:45am, returned about 10pm) and to listen to the exhaust all day wasn't fun.

I might try the inserts. I have the part number but no picture of what they look like. Just EVO II inserts but they're not universal. Maybe I can email LV USA again and see if they can email me a pic of them.

Changing exhaust isn't that hard but don't want to keep doing it. If the next couple of weeks go well I'll prolly stick with the stock exhaust and sell the Leo's but until then they're going to hang around.

My last truck had loud exhaust, Flowmasters. After a few years I got tired of it and put quieter exhaust. My newest truck I had the stock muffler hacked off and a Magnaflow welded in it's place. It's louder than stock but quiet enough to not annoy.

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
In my best Dr. Evil voice, "One million dollars." Not for sale yet. If I do I'll post 'em in the for sale section. Buncha vultures on this forum... :BLAA:

I'm gonna go on a weekend ride, hopefully Sunday. Gotta see how she runs with stock exhaust and sync'd throttle bodies. :thumbup:

You need to go to the track and really have fun with it. :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They're definitely not for everyone. I had a Honda 250R fourtrax for the desert with a loud pipe, that was no problem. For the street, I don't want my exhaust to drown out every other noise out there. Loud, droning noises actually add stress. I've been riding long days (last Sunday left the house at 8:45am, returned about 10pm) and to listen to the exhaust all day wasn't fun.

I might try the inserts. I have the part number but no picture of what they look like. Just EVO II inserts but they're not universal. Maybe I can email LV USA again and see if they can email me a pic of them.

Changing exhaust isn't that hard but don't want to keep doing it. If the next couple of weeks go well I'll prolly stick with the stock exhaust and sell the Leo's but until then they're going to hang around.

My last truck had loud exhaust, Flowmasters. After a few years I got tired of it and put quieter exhaust. My newest truck I had the stock muffler hacked off and a Magnaflow welded in it's place. It's louder than stock but quiet enough to not annoy.

I have really loud Two Brothers pipes on my remaining FZ6, but they are a nice loud, not droning, like the Leo's were at Highway Speeds....

If you plan to ride your bike lots, for long rides, i reckon, quiet pipes are the go, but if you just use the bike for track work, or short blats, loud pipes are fun.

:thumbup:

D

Dave.TX

Went on a 233 mile round trip ride last weekend with the stock exhaust. The guys I rode with had 750-1000cc supersport bikes, a 1000cc Aprilia Tuono and a Concours 1400. Those guys ran fast, which I'm not used to. With my stock exhaust I couldn't tell a difference between that and the Leo's I'd run before except that I could hear more around me. I had a blast! Got the speedo up to 140 indicated (131 on the GPS) while the other guys were hitting upwards of 170 on some straights. I'm perfectly happy with the stock exhaust. Yes, I may gain 3hp with the Leo's on there but that's just a drop in the bucket. For the most part I'm cruising at 60-70mph on local rides. It's nice riding through neighborhoods and not feeling like I'm waking the dead.

BTW, after I got home I balanced (synchronized) the throttle bodies with a home made manometer. It was pretty far off and now runs a little smoother. Except for the suspension (it's under sprung for someone like me, just over 200lbs) I'm pretty happy with the bike stock. It's funny how the supersports had aftermarket cans on their bikes and all of them were quieter than mine when the Leo's were on there.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Went on a 233 mile round trip ride last weekend with the stock exhaust. The guys I rode with had 750-1000cc supersport bikes, a 1000cc Aprilia Tuono and a Concours 1400. Those guys ran fast, which I'm not used to. With my stock exhaust I couldn't tell a difference between that and the Leo's I'd run before except that I could hear more around me. I had a blast! Got the speedo up to 140 indicated (131 on the GPS) while the other guys were hitting upwards of 170 on some straights. I'm perfectly happy with the stock exhaust. Yes, I may gain 3hp with the Leo's on there but that's just a drop in the bucket. For the most part I'm cruising at 60-70mph on local rides. It's nice riding through neighborhoods and not feeling like I'm waking the dead.

BTW, after I got home I balanced (synchronized) the throttle bodies with a home made manometer. It was pretty far off and now runs a little smoother. Except for the suspension (it's under sprung for someone like me, just over 200lbs) I'm pretty happy with the bike stock. It's funny how the supersports had aftermarket cans on their bikes and all of them were quieter than mine when the Leo's were on there.

My old zx6r had a micron exhaist on it that had a perfect tone. Not crazy loud but much better then stock. Maybe because we have two cans its much louder. I had my stock exhaust cut open and modified and it has a nice tone to it with no rasp and i can still hear perfectly around me :)

djstrong

Reaction score
Visit site
Check if you have the EVOII restrictor.

If the Leo's are too loud, you probably also dont have the EVOII restrictor and/or no DB killers.

With the DB killers and EvoII restrictor, the sound is great. I was not looking for loud, just better than stock, and I think the throttle responce is improved with the LEOs. It is definatly not "loud".

Without the DB killers, they were WAY too loud for me.

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
LEOS have the link pipe that eliminates the Cat correct>? cause i would be interested in this link pipe if so

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
the leo link pipe is a slightly different size to the stock one, so that you can only fit leo exhausts using the link pipe, and you can't use the link pipe with standard ones. at least that's what mine is like

D

Dave.TX

You know you're missing a part of the rear? (the lip in between the 2 exhaust holes, that go down to where the original rear fender used to be??)

Grtz,

Degake

Since that was done before I got the bike I decided to at least paint the background black so it's not so noticeable.

2011-10-07_19-28-49_646.jpg

the leo link pipe is a slightly different size to the stock one, so that you can only fit leo exhausts using the link pipe, and you can't use the link pipe with standard ones. at least that's what mine is like

I tried it on mine, using the Leo mid-pipe with the stock muffler. Same result, they're different sized pipes and angled a bit different so it didn't work. I believe Arrow makes a mid-pipe cat eliminator, also Laser.

Look at this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: