Bags/luggage recommendations???

adinges87

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all. Just got my first bike this summer (Red '06 FZ6) and absolutely love everything about it. I'll be a student for the next year and I'm looking for a better way to lug around 2-4 books plus a pretty bulky laptop. I've used a backpack for the last few months but I'd like to find something a little easier. I carry about 15 lbs and my computer is about 14" long and 10" wide. The books will be smaller than this.

Any recommendations???

The two I found are below. Any good?

Fieldsheer Eiffel 2 Tank Bag - Street Bike - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore

Fieldsheer Contour Tank Bag - Street Bike - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore

Thanks!

fergie.g

Lives for the ride!
Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO you are better off with a bag pack to lug around campus. Having a tank bag or side cases is going to make it difficult to carry around unless the tank bag you found have shoulder straps or something. I would rule out side cases for you situation. I have a Ogio Less Drag bag and it works great for my 15" MacBook pro. For books however I'm not sure these would work since space is limited. I work so I don't carry books for the most part.

Try looking at this website to see what kind of other bags might fit you. You may need to shell out a bugger budget.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com

Hope this helps.

adinges87

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Fergie. Good point with lugging it around campus, but I'm actually just an online student so I'll just need to carry some books into work/borders. I'm thinking I might give the Fieldsheer Eiffel II Tank a try. Seems big enough. Just looks kinda ugly haha.. It sounds like it has shoulder straps for portability also.

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you guys have givi or Kappa luggage out there in the Wild West? Put a rack and top box on it (or whatever you call them, maybe a hard case), then when you get to college take your bag out of the box, put your helmet and gloves in for the day and away you go.
I'm just about to put one on my FZ6, gives the wife a bit more security when we're pushing on a bit. When I jump it off a bridge crest she's less likely to part company too, added bonus.

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1

Top box is super practical. Had a Givi E52 on mine. Easy and convenient to use as the trunk of an automobile.

John

Do you guys have givi or Kappa luggage out there in the Wild West? Put a rack and top box on it (or whatever you call them, maybe a hard case), then when you get to college take your bag out of the box, put your helmet and gloves in for the day and away you go.
I'm just about to put one on my FZ6, gives the wife a bit more security when we're pushing on a bit. When I jump it off a bridge crest she's less likely to part company too, added bonus.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on this. If you want to go cheaper (spam alert), I have a Nelson Rigg tail bag for sale. The ad is listed somewhere down the For Sale section.

Joe

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Gday Mate, I bought a set of sports panniers from VENTURA and planned on using them for touring only. I am a Barrister but also teach some units of law at a local university. My bike parking is undercover and close to the faculty. I generally carry a laptop and some books and papers.
Do yourself a favour, get a set of these panniers and cable tie them to the bike, mine are on for good now. They hold everything I need, keep most water out and are very practical.
Rumps

Redback

Reaction score
Visit site
interested in this looking around myself sort of after something that straps under the seat
has no occy straps

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a JoeRocket helmet backpack. This thing is awesome. Plenty of pouches, water resistant and storage for a few days of clothes or what have you.
images

and a Bungee net I got from the dealer.

The net is really useful and has served me well when taking grocery bags, cases of pop and even my laptop. Holds up just fine and I even trust it to hold my laptop on the highway. (It's big and has a school issue carrying bag)
100010.jpg

EDIT: The pics aren't mine. MY bed doesnt look nearly that ugly lol.

adinges87

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a JoeRocket helmet backpack. This thing is awesome. Plenty of pouches, water resistant and storage for a few days of clothes or what have you.
images

and a Bungee net I got from the dealer.

The net is really useful and has served me well when taking grocery bags, cases of pop and even my laptop. Holds up just fine and I even trust it to hold my laptop on the highway. (It's big and has a school issue carrying bag)
100010.jpg

EDIT: The pics aren't mine. MY bed doesnt look nearly that ugly lol.

Do you think this bungee could hold a backpack weighing about 15-20lbs in place?? I bought the Eiffel II tank bag (haven't received it yet) but I didn't think about a bungee. Seems like a much cheaper alternative as long as it'll hold that much weight.

Also, I'm a new rider (about 4 months). Does anybody have a preference about where they would rather have the extra load? Tank, on their back, on the tail, etc(?)? I don't know how much an extra 20lbs would effect riding, but I'm still curious.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The net can handle a 24 pack cube of Pepsi so I'd imagine a backpack would work as long as it fits under it.

The hooks work really well with the passanger grab handles but may leave scuffs or scratches if you're not careful.

Redback

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Luggage Locker tail bag, if it's the specific type of bag you're interested in. I've had an Elite for some time now. It fits well and is well-constructed. The item can take 3-4 weeks to arrive, but if that's not an issue, it's a nice piece.

i live in W.A mate also known as wait awhile :D

yeah this bag looks the go just want to leave it on the bike for normal stuff clothes short stops at the shop bread milk 3 weeks of grocery's
beer haha ( how many 375ml cans of coke do you think it would carry just trying to get an idea of how big it is )

do you have the normal Cordura one or the waterproof one

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i live in W.A mate also known as wait awhile :D

yeah this bag looks the go just want to leave it on the bike for normal stuff clothes short stops at the shop bread milk 3 weeks of grocery's
beer haha ( how many 375ml cans of coke do you think it would carry just trying to get an idea of how big it is )

do you have the normal Cordura one or the waterproof one
Redback, you can fit a carton of beer in my Yamaha Topbox V46, apparently......... ;)

Redback

Reaction score
Visit site
Redback, you can fit a carton of beer in my Yamaha Topbox V46, apparently......... ;)

haha good stuff just not my style i don't know they are practical do the job

but when i look at them on a bike they just look so wrong to me anyway