Battery charge help ..!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Guys,
I left my battery plugged, before my 3 week trip and no trickle charger (didn't receive the expected mail, BT JR).
Now the battery is down, and left it on BT JR from Tuesday morning 8am EDT, and I still see the solid red on the charger, but I don't see the ignition turning on.
Can I jump start using a car battery and let it sit for a few mins, until it picks up some voltage and then leave it to the Jr. (I can call AAA, roadside assistance) or a bump start?

Jump start like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCtZebOkXR4
OR
Bump start like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jh2wIGTFLA

Either way, the display won't come up, (please see the below video at 00:13 seconds) should I jump start it with the same battery?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZdo2RYPUc

Note: I removed the alarm system, before leaving it on two day charge.

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
update:
AAA guy came and jump started,
After 10 mins on charge, I turned on highbeams and the bike stalled. He used the external battery and we started again and he left.
It has, more than quarter tank gas, and after 10 more mins, the bike stalled again (the tank is still vertical, with the help of bungee cord, I should've put it down??).
The BT JR still shows solid red, when put in charge.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The fact that it's running and you turn the lights on and it dies is a bad sign.
As is red light, and no dash lights.
Sounds like your battery is done and needs replaced...

If you must ride it some where; disconnect the headlights jump it and get to a safe place. Get a new battery!

If it cant power the gauge and ecu, its a done deal.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
The fact that it's running and you turn the lights on and it dies is a bad sign.
As is red light, and no dash lights.
Sounds like your battery is done and needs replaced...

If you must ride it some where; disconnect the headlights jump it and get to a safe place. Get a new battery!

If it cant power the gauge and ecu, its a done deal.

Thanks FI,
I see the batteries are expensive nearby and not available in the first place.

Currently, I a have GS battery.

I'm ordering this one from revzilla(pricematch):

https://www.batterysharks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=YT12B-BS_M12-10-125-K&CartID=1

Yuasa YT12B-BS AGM Battery - RevZilla

I understand, if I don't have a charger, at the time of winterizing the bike, at least remove the terminals/disconnect the battery :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your bike is draining the battery, yes. Remove connection.

Thats said, a fully charged battery should be fine in the cold. If when you let it sit for 4 hrs (off and cold) and the voltage is 12.95 or higher, the battery is nearly fully charged and should be fine for months just left alone.

If you check it again in say 24hrs and lets say it was 12.99 and it dropped to 12.97, the bike may be killing it. Disconnect a terminal and or below 12.85vDC bring the battery inside for the winter. Do charge it if possible...

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
If your bike is draining the battery, yes. Remove connection.

Thats said, a fully charged battery should be fine in the cold. If when you let it sit for 4 hrs (off and cold) and the voltage is 12.95 or higher, the battery is nearly fully charged and should be fine for months just left alone.

If you check it again in say 24hrs and lets say it was 12.99 and it dropped to 12.97, the bike may be killing it. Disconnect a terminal and or below 12.85vDC bring the battery inside for the winter. Do charge it if possible...

I had my Scorpio i900 hooked up and I neglected to disconnect everything :(

With my new battery, what are the precautions?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My OEM battery lasted 8 years and has never been on charger once. It sits for 3 - 4 mo a year in the cold and I don't touch it or start it unless its going for a least a 20+ min ride.

If the battery is above 12.95v at 70°F, just leave it be. Ideal full charge is 12.99 to 13.00 when checked after 4 hours of sitting.

As for reclaiming batteries. I've done it several times (your PM), but they have to be functional batteries that don't drop to half voltage from turning the key to the run position.

In short you drain them with a constant load like a 35watt bulb down to BUT NO LOWER THAN 1.75 volts per cell (10.5v) and cut the load letting the battery recover for an hour or so, repeat one more time (drain to 10.5) and then charge w/a charger capable of 2.0Amps until it gets near float voltage (90% of charge) and trickle over night. This action desulfates the plates. But some batteries will open up and die.

REPEAT EVERYTHING - at least once. 3 Times will either give you a working battery with restored cranking amps or brick if you let drop under 10.5V and forget about it.

I'm not a fan of trickle charging when the bike will maintain the battery if driven at moderate speeds. You DO need to trickle when its not being used in manor that leaves the battery fully charged when parked. Once in a while is fine. But not all the time.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your new battery, once filled, will be approx 80% charged.

Its standard operating procedure to use a 1.25 amp charger (AUTOMATIC) BEFORE PUTTING the battery to use.

This is to bring it up to 100%. Will it work at 80%, yes, but you won't get quite the longevity overall
of the battery...

With a 1.25 amp charger, it'll take roughly 6-8 hours to get the "green light", Then your good to go..

Page 18 from Yuasa addresses activation, installing acid, etc (besides other great tips):

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/TechManual_2014.pdf

7. Newly activated AGM batteries require an initial
charge. After adding electrolyte, a new battery is
approximately 75-80% charged. After the “stand” period
(step 6), charge the battery to bring it to a full state-of charge.
The battery charger used for initial charging should
be able to charge at 12.8+-volts for an AGM battery. All Yuasa
battery chargers are capable of reaching this minimum
voltage and initializing/activating an AGM battery.

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
The battery, out of the box, started working fine, it fired up the engine.

But for some reason, until I connected it to the bike, battery tender jr. did not charge the battery..!

Last edited: