Battery Tender Oops

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I've been quiet on the site for awhile now due to my life being tugged in many different directions. But I've been lurking and enjoying all the great sharing and help we've provided for each other. So here's my story:

Got a new battery as the OEM quit holding a charge the beginning of the 2015 season. Everything was fine for the short Chicago riding season. No flaming, I enjoy my pleasant weather rides! Did the mandatory winterizing and put the Fizzer on a battery tender for the winter. This spring (2016), got the bike out and tried to start her up and I just got the clicking noise that there's not enough juice to fire. No biggie, I'll just pull the battery and charge it up. Problem solved. Fully charged battery started the bike right up. Wasn't going to ride for awhile so I put the bike back on the battery tender. Did not pay attention to the lights on the tender.

Come back after a few weeks and decide to go for a ride. I get the same clicking noise when trying to start the bike. Put the battery on the charger again and once charged, no issues. Put the battery back on the tender and go out of town for a few weeks, due a bathroom remodel at the house and finally decide to take a spin on the Fizzer. This time the fuel pump barely gets going. What is going on??? Finally look at the battery tender and see the red light is flashing, it is not charging!! Solid red is charging the battery. Green is storage mode of charge.

Moral of the story number one: Check the lights! They'll tell you what's going on!

So why was the dang thing flashing a red light and not charging the battery??? There's a 7.5 amp fuse on my battery tender. It was blown. DUH!!!

Moral of the story number two: Check the fuse!!

This is pretty basic stuff and I should know better. Sometimes the obvious fix is staring us right in the face. I hope this helps one of you out there!

Cheers!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On most Battery Tenders, the SAE connector (that attaches either to the battery directly, or battery clamps), HAVE the fuse attached.

Not the charger and line themselves.. Is your different? Maybe different style?

And as a side note, I'd be checking all lines going to the battery(the charger line). It should NOT
have blown that fuse...

Here's BMW one I have for sale, but the 110 line and to the battery are exactly the same:

No fuse plugs with the unit itself:

Last edited:

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On most Battery Tenders, the SAE connector (that attaches either to the battery directly, or battery clamps), HAVE the fuse attached.

Not the charger and line themselves.. Is your different? Maybe different style?

And as a side note, I'd be checking all lines going to the battery(the charger line). It should NOT
have blown that fuse...

Here's BMW one I have for sale, but the 110 line and to the battery are exactly the same:

No fuse plugs with the unit itself:

Apologies, I did not describe the SAE connector properly! Thanks for pointing out it's the connector that has the fuse attached, I was treating the connector, charger and line as the whole unit. IMG_1170.jpg