Battery tender question

99vengeur

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read through a bunch of the threads regarding battery tenders and was still unable to find the answer to my question. So I thought I would ask you guys for input.

I'm looking to connect a battery tender lead to the battery that will let me take advantage of the SAE connector for other electronic devices. My question is this, is the 7.5 amp fuse sufficient for most electronic devices out there that would plug into the cigarette-style power outlet or should I go with the 15 amp? Also, will these be waterproof if they don't specifically state them as such? Examples of the leads I am talking about are below.

Deltran Battery Tender SAE 2 Pigtail Plus BB Power Port - eBay (item 220454424158 end time Aug-18-09 04:16:16 PDT)

Heavy Duty SAE Battery Lead 24"

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would put a 15 amp fuse should you need to run a portable air compressor or something larger if need be, the 7.5 might not be enough. I've run a 15 amp fuse in my FJR for heated clothing without a problem for years..

And yes, those connectors are pretty much water tight.

If you buy a battery tender/charger, the leads usually come with the tender....

99vengeur

Reaction score
Visit site
I would put a 15 amp fuse should you need to run a portable air compressor or something larger if need be, the 7.5 might not be enough. I've run a 15 amp fuse in my FJR for heated clothing without a problem for years..

And yes, those connectors are pretty much water tight.

If you buy a battery tender/charger, the leads usually come with the tender....

Thanks, I was thinking about going with the 15 amp just in case. I guess you can't have too much. lol

I'm not sure that I will be getting a tender at this time, since I can pretty much ride year round and won't be worried about the battery in the "winter." I am just wanting the lead for accessories.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm so happy that you asked this question, as I've had the exact same question for the last month or so. I installed the Battery Tender lead and a dual SAE/12v plug on the end of it so I could power my GPS or small air compressor.

I wouldn't have ever questioned the 7.5 amp fuse, except the guy at the shop suggested I put a larger fuse in just in case. Being that I know nothing about fuses, I pulled out the largest one I could find in my spare fuses case...a 30 amp one. I've been running that for the last few weeks with no problems. But...

I asked a guy at work about it the other day, as I feel he's pretty smart about these things. I'm not sure if he's right, but this is what he told me. By running a fuse that large, if something were to go wrong, the 30 amp fuse might allow the wires to get too hot and possibly cause some melting before it blew. So I've been thinking about putting in a smaller fuse, specifically a 15 amp like you guys talked about above. This thread just reinforces that notion.

Thanks for the info, guys!

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the very same think you are talking about. I put in a 15 amp fuse and it works fine I use the cig lighter to charge my phone and run my GPS. I do have a air pump but have yet to use it so I can't speak to the heat tollerance of the wire but I would think it would be OK .

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm so happy that you asked this question, as I've had the exact same question for the last month or so. I installed the Battery Tender lead and a dual SAE/12v plug on the end of it so I could power my GPS or small air compressor.

I wouldn't have ever questioned the 7.5 amp fuse, except the guy at the shop suggested I put a larger fuse in just in case. Being that I know nothing about fuses, I pulled out the largest one I could find in my spare fuses case...a 30 amp one. I've been running that for the last few weeks with no problems. But...

I asked a guy at work about it the other day, as I feel he's pretty smart about these things. I'm not sure if he's right, but this is what he told me. By running a fuse that large, if something were to go wrong, the 30 amp fuse might allow the wires to get too hot and possibly cause some melting before it blew. So I've been thinking about putting in a smaller fuse, specifically a 15 amp like you guys talked about above. This thread just reinforces that notion.

Thanks for the info, guys!

The guy at work is right and 30A is a lot. The main fuse for the entire bike is 30A. You'll definitely get a nice little fire if you had a short. At least upgrade the wiring.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
The guy at work is right and 30A is a lot. The main fuse for the entire bike is 30A. You'll definitely get a nice little fire if you had a short. At least upgrade the wiring.

I'm just going to swap out the 30 amp for a 15 amp and everything should be alright, no? Man, this really puts my mind at ease after that conversation at work...lol.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'm just going to swap out the 30 amp for a 15 amp and everything should be alright, no? Man, this really puts my mind at ease after that conversation at work...lol.

If you can get to the 7.5 amp fuse easily.... run that. IF it blows, then upgrade it to the next size up. That's more than 50 watts of power available as is. If the next size up were a 10 amp, that would give you in excess of 120 watts, the 15 would put you around 180 watts....
You always want the fuse to be the weakest link in the circuit, and you want it to be as weak as possible and still get the job done.....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The 15 amp I run in my 04 FJR (same as the FZ) runs a heated vest and heated gloves all at once. I can also run the air compressor without problem. I used (for the FJR) a Powerlet kit -main site
( Powerlet Products ) with dual BMW style outlets to the left rear attached to a custom helmet lock bracket. The harness is is probably 3' long and wthe wire gauge is heavy enough for the 15amp fuse...

I also put a BMW style outlet attached to the left side of the FZ with approx 2' of line (fuzed 15amp-hooked to the battery) for easier access to the battery (again, air compressor, etc). I made that harness myself (soldered/heat shrunk, etc)

Scott

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Optimate 4 tender came with a 15 amp fuse in the leads already. The Optimate leads are 16 AWG wire, which according to AWG is rated for 22 amps at 12 volts. IIRC the Deltran Battery Tender Plus I had used 18 AWG wire, which is rated for 16 amps @ 12 volts. So either way, a 15 amp fuse should be fine.:thumbup:

Here is my take on chargers I have used/use.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/prod...harger-reviews-multiple-models-long-post.html

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have this set-up.

I've used the compressor twice and haven't had any problems, but a 15amp fuse would be a good idea.

vc128

Reaction score
Visit site
quick question, i just got a tender that came with a lead

since our batteries are under the tank instead of under the seat, where do you guys tuck the lead so that it's safe and away from heat and other stuff that may screw it up and also easy to access when you need it?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Hang it out the front, and drop it down in front of the radiator. It can hang there with out issues..... or at least it has on mine, for the past two years......