beginners bike?

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I learned to ride on my EX-500 (ninja 500), and it was a blast. It's light enough to toss around, if a little small (I'm 6'2" 190lbs). I think it's around 410# wet, and it's usually described as 'flickable.' they are nimble little things, and people make careers out of racing them. Oh and reliable. Verrry reliable. Mine's a 99 and is running strong.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is not a real post. :BLAA:

I think this is just to get people to fight over bikes.:spank:

4ft 10in and 95lbs Yea right......:disapprove:

Lock this post down.

Even if you're right, we don't really fight on this forum :D
It's all good advice :thumbup:

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
95 pounds 4'10"

Wow.. don't mean to upset you, but there's just about NO chance for you to get started on this bike without running into issues.

As a 5'4" woman, I beg you not to start on a bike suited to taller people than we are. After you learn to ride well, it might be a whole other story.

Even though I rode dirt bikes all my life (not racing or anything, just bumbling around mostly), when I moved up to a street bike that was very forgiving and had a fairly low center of gravity, I had a difficult time getting a feel for keeping such a heavy piece of machinery upright.

Please, please, look for a low, light bike recommended for beginners. It will be safer for you, and it will make it easier for you to gain the skills and confidence you'll need.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
You would have to be very brave at that size (male, or female) to sit on a FZ, and say I want this as my first bike.:rockon: If you can do that, then, You Go Girl.:thumbup:

Ride safe.

FZ6PURPLE

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not trying to start any arguments that is my real weight and height. I am just trying to learn and I was hoping that there was a bike for me but I guess I will call the instructor (since the MSF course starts until mid November) and see if he think I will be ok riding the motorcycles they provide. I am a person that her height doesn't interfere to accomplish something if I really want to do it!!! and riding a bike is something I would love to do!!!:D

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not trying to start any arguments that is my real weight and height. I am just trying to learn and I was hoping that there was a bike for me but I guess I will call the instructor (since the MSF course starts until mid November) and see if he think I will be ok riding the motorcycles they provide. I am a person that her height doesn't interfere to accomplish something if I really want to do it!!! and riding a bike is something I would love to do!!!:D

No arguments will start. I think you're very brave to start on a FZ, if that's your real size. If you're up for the challenge then go for it. Just ride smart, and safe.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, Purple?

:cheer: to you. I know what it's like to be a girl who does whatever she wants, no matter how hard it is.

And it's partly the grandmotherly side of me giving all this advice to be safe. I've lived long enough to become one, so I figure some of my theories on being safe are pretty valid. :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Definitely do that. You should not need to call. You can just show up at training site (when they are running range exercises) and tell them you're scheduled for BRC, but you want to see if you can be comfortable on one of their bikes.

You also shouldn't need to wait to Nov. If you have time and really want to do this, start going early as a stand-by. If someone doesn't show up for the class, you get to take their place!

FZ6PURPLE

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I will definitely go as stand-by pretty soon as Erci suggested and I will be glad to keep you updated. :Sport:

FZ6PURPLE

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone! I went yesterday as stand-by and they told me I cannot train with the motorcycles they provide on the course because I can not stand with flat feet on the bike. They suggested for me to find a bike that feats me and they will allow me to use it on the course :(

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone! I went yesterday as stand-by and they told me I cannot train with the motorcycles they provide on the course because I can not stand with flat feet on the bike. They suggested for me to find a bike that feats me and they will allow me to use it on the course :(

Just get your FZ and have it lowered.:thumbup: It might take a little cash for the mod, but don't let that stop you from your dream.:rockon:

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Just get your FZ and have it lowered.:thumbup: It might take a little cash for the mod, but don't let that stop you from your dream.:rockon:

Can an FZ6 be lowered as much as she'd need? You can get a special lowering link made that'll take it down two inches (if you send yours away), and then maybe get an inch by shaving the seat and maybe another inch with different springs. It sounds like an awful lot of trouble and expense for a first bike.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

MSF lowered bikes have ~ 27" seat height. The only option that comes to mind is a small cruiser. Virago 250 has a 26" seat height. There is no way you can drop the FZ6 to below 27".

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can an FZ6 be lowered as much as she'd need? You can get a special lowering link made that'll take it down two inches (if you send yours away), and then maybe get an inch by shaving the seat and maybe another inch with different springs. It sounds like an awful lot of trouble and expense for a first bike.

Yup.. and that still gets you to ~ 28" seat height which is an inch taller than the bike she was not able to flat-foot :(

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Geez! Tthats going to be tough, seriously, I am out of options, ohohoh, what foot wear did you take up there? Maybe you need the right pair.of shoes or boots to get you a couple of inches. Please don't think I am making fun of you just kinda lame to be put out of riding because of your height slight disadvantage.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Geez! Tthats going to be tough, seriously, I am out of options, ohohoh, what foot wear did you take up there? Maybe you need the right pair.of shoes or boots to get you a couple of inches. Please don't think I am making fun of you just kinda lame to be put out of riding because of your height slight disadvantage.

To give you a reference point, Purple: My inseam is 31" without boots, and I can flat foot my un-lowered FZ6 when I'm wearing boots with 2" heels.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you post photos of you next to any bike, so that we can see what we're working with?:needpics: