Beginning the Naked Conversion-Help wanted and needed!

RuskiMotorcycle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Y’all!

It’s time for the naked conversation, and I would love everyone’s insights and help. I’m trying to do this all on my own, so if you have any tips or any solid references, lemme know. The short of why I'm undertaking a naked look (besides the fact that it's awesome!) is because a jay-walker ran me off the road and I dumped it pretty bad.

Front End Issues-
Busted right fork, broken fairings, bent bar, broken right handlebar system (broken break lever, broken starter box)

Replacements-
R6 forks, steering column, and mounting kit. Purchased!

Single headlight, LED and integrated preferr
Amazon.com: Krator® Black Universal Polished Aluminum Headlight Fork Mounting Brackets Fits 35mm, 39mm, and 41mm Forks: Automotive
Amazon.com: Atpmtas® 8 Inch Motorcycle Headlight Project Yellow LED with Turn Signal: Automotive
Amazon.com: GENSSI LED Headlight Fits Chopper Motorcycles (Single 7 Inch Round Projector LED Headlight, Black): Automotive
Amazon.com: 7" Motorcycle Daymaker Projector LED Halo Headlight with Ambler White Angle Eye Turn Lights DRL For Harley Jeep Wrangler: Automotive

Deleted mirrors or handle bar mirrors
(No ideas yet)

More of a café or motorcross style bar
Amazon.com: Black Cafe Racer Ace Clubman Handlebar Bar 7/8" Cb Gs Xs 650 750 850: Automotive
(No idea where to start looking for something good here. Heard great things about clip-ons too!)

Shorty levers
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/crg-rc2-brake-lever-yamaha-fj-09-fz-09-fz-07-fz6-fz6r-fz1-fz8 (BLACK)

OEM right handlebar control switch

Backend Issues-
Busted fairings/handles, scrapped up taillight and blinkers

Replacements-
Integrated taillight, removing the fender and the blinkers.
Removing plastics and handles.

-Taillight (integrated)
http://www.amazon.com/2003-2009-Yam...liid=I1IB6HUJICMKRJ&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

-Fender Eliminator
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/competition-werkes-fender-eliminator-kit-yamaha-fz6-2004-2008

Right-side rear-brake bracket is cracked in half and footpegs are damaged. Probably just need OEM replacement, though going with aftermarket footpegs.

-OEM bracket

-Footpegs (black?)
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/psr-sbk-footpegs-yamaha

Seat is scrapped up a bit. Would consider a different seat altogether for more comfort and less high (I’m slightly short for my fz6).

I also did a really dumb thing and didn't even try to get the bike to start when I got it back from the garage. The right hand controls, where the starter is, were all smashed up, so I wasn't even sure how I'd check it. I would imagine I should try to get it to roll over first before putting all of this work into it. Do I just buy a new set of right side controls, install them, and see if the bike rolls over?

Best,

Denis Z

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Y’all!

It’s time for the naked conversation, and I would love everyone’s insights and help. I’m trying to do this all on my own, so if you have any tips or any solid references, lemme know. The short of why I'm undertaking a naked look (besides the fact that it's awesome!) is because a jay-walker ran me off the road and I dumped it pretty bad.

Front End Issues-
Busted right fork, broken fairings, bent bar, broken right handlebar system (broken break lever, broken starter box)

Replacements-
R6 forks, steering column, and mounting kit. Purchased!

Single headlight, LED and integrated preferr
Amazon.com: Krator® Black Universal Polished Aluminum Headlight Fork Mounting Brackets Fits 35mm, 39mm, and 41mm Forks: Automotive
Amazon.com: Atpmtas® 8 Inch Motorcycle Headlight Project Yellow LED with Turn Signal: Automotive
Amazon.com: GENSSI LED Headlight Fits Chopper Motorcycles (Single 7 Inch Round Projector LED Headlight, Black): Automotive
Amazon.com: 7" Motorcycle Daymaker Projector LED Halo Headlight with Ambler White Angle Eye Turn Lights DRL For Harley Jeep Wrangler: Automotive

Deleted mirrors or handle bar mirrors
(No ideas yet)

More of a café or motorcross style bar
Amazon.com: Black Cafe Racer Ace Clubman Handlebar Bar 7/8" Cb Gs Xs 650 750 850: Automotive
(No idea where to start looking for something good here. Heard great things about clip-ons too!)

Shorty levers
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/crg-rc2-brake-lever-yamaha-fj-09-fz-09-fz-07-fz6-fz6r-fz1-fz8 (BLACK)

OEM right handlebar control switch

Backend Issues-
Busted fairings/handles, scrapped up taillight and blinkers

Replacements-
Integrated taillight, removing the fender and the blinkers.
Removing plastics and handles.

-Taillight (integrated)
http://www.amazon.com/2003-2009-Yam...liid=I1IB6HUJICMKRJ&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

-Fender Eliminator
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/competition-werkes-fender-eliminator-kit-yamaha-fz6-2004-2008

Right-side rear-brake bracket is cracked in half and footpegs are damaged. Probably just need OEM replacement, though going with aftermarket footpegs.

-OEM bracket

-Footpegs (black?)
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/psr-sbk-footpegs-yamaha

Seat is scrapped up a bit. Would consider a different seat altogether for more comfort and less high (I’m slightly short for my fz6).

I also did a really dumb thing and didn't even try to get the bike to start when I got it back from the garage. The right hand controls, where the starter is, were all smashed up, so I wasn't even sure how I'd check it. I would imagine I should try to get it to roll over first before putting all of this work into it. Do I just buy a new set of right side controls, install them, and see if the bike rolls over?

Best,

Denis Z

Hello, sorry to hear you had to went through this.
*. Yours is S1 or S2? If it is S1, someone is selling the complete set of front headlight, mirrors, turn signals, etc., if you still change your mind for S-version.
Naked Style:
1. Mirrors, want to try handlebar mounted mirrors? I got them off of FZ-09 forum. Compared to faired version I saw less vibes (not that matter for your Naked version, just FYI)
2. Headlight Kit, Aptmas didn't look that great, compared the other two halogen lamps.
I like the price point of Genssi, but the quality of the SunPie. Please check warranty and other reviews on Customer Service.
3. Cafe racer handlebar with rest of the body normal? I'm not sure about the aesthetics :)

Just my taste/opinion..! :)

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Check out the2wheels.com for levers. I've also found motorcycle accessories on aliexpress.com. It's direct from China knockoff stuff, but the prices are unbeatable and I've been pleased with what I've gotten.

The Sunpie headlight looks great.

The start/kill switch assembly is only $30 or so on ebay. Or you can jump the kill switch wires closed and then jump the starter wires momentarily to see if the bike runs properly.

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure those bars will hit your tank

Me personally, I would want to know that the bike still cranked before I did anything else.

Last edited:

RuskiMotorcycle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure those bars will hit your tank

Me personally, I would want to know that the bike still cranked before I did anything else.

I actually agree 100%, so aside from swapping the forks (cause I have the equipment already), I'm not ordering anything quite yet.

So seeing if it'll crack actually worried me. My right side controls were smashed, so there was no way to start it (without jumping it, which I was unaware of atm). However, something about it felt off, like that I tried to start it briefly after the accident and it wouldn't. Any thoughts of what the best way to see if it'll turn over is? I have the whole front off, and most of the damage was the the fairings and the fork, so I don't think it's busted, but who knows. Do I need everything plugged and screwed in for it to roll over?