Best Helmet for Noise Reduction and Glasses

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is my first bike and have loved it so far, but when I went through my training course I bought a helmet based on price. As it turns out my HJC CL16 combined with a Sena system has been a great purchase, but as I see tons of people out there with other types of helmets I have to wonder what could be better. The main things that I would like to get from a new helmet are greater noise reduction from wind, better ventelation when needed, and ability to use with glasses (currently not a problem in the HJC, but could be in some models). I know there was another thread a year or so ago around this topic, but want to get a fresh idea on this.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i think schuberth make the quietest helmets (assuming they even fit your head shape)

a cheaper option is earplugs (either foam or custom fitted)

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is my first bike and have loved it so far, but when I went through my training course I bought a helmet based on price. As it turns out my HJC CL16 combined with a Sena system has been a great purchase, but as I see tons of people out there with other types of helmets I have to wonder what could be better. The main things that I would like to get from a new helmet are greater noise reduction from wind, better ventelation when needed, and ability to use with glasses (currently not a problem in the HJC, but could be in some models). I know there was another thread a year or so ago around this topic, but want to get a fresh idea on this.

You'll never be able to reduce sound significantly with just a helmet change, unfortunately. I went from a cheap helmet I bought for price to an Arai Vector 2, and there was a definite noise decrease. BUT it wasn't enough, so like these guys have said foam ear plugs are one way to go or the other way (and the way I went) is to get headphones. I bought LG's behind the neck bluetooth, it hangs around your neck and ear buds come up and insert into your ears. Very good at noise cancellation, it's wireless so I dn't have any weird wires flying around, and I can hear my phone anything through bluetooth. Very convenient.

Good luck

Mud

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Sena bluetooth stereo in my helmet - so no need for further audio performance, but I would difentily try out ear plugs. Do you recommend custom fitted or foam ones?

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree the HJC CL-16 isn't the greatest for wind noise or for glasses that have thicker side pieces (though my wire-frame glasses fit in there all right).

How do you guys hear your bikes with the earplugs? I tried the foam ones, and I still had tons of wind noise but could barely hear my bike or my hubby over the intercom. Not being able to hear my bike was so disturbing the one time I tried earplugs, I pulled over and took them out. :(

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Sena bluetooth stereo in my helmet - so no need for further audio performance, but I would difentily try out ear plugs. Do you recommend custom fitted or foam ones?

best bang for buck is probably foam ones

i found my custom fitted ones a little uncomfortable after a while, but they let the "right" frequencies though. Foam ones tend to blanket out the noise. It all depends on brand and fit though.

I'd recommend getting a sample bag from ebay with a variety of foam plugs.

I had a set of silicone ones made last year, I have a little carry bag for them and they are now part of my gearing up routine. The other problem is they fit so well they can be tricky to remove!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you guys hear your bikes with the earplugs? I tried the foam ones, and I still had tons of wind noise but could barely hear my bike or my hubby over the intercom. Not being able to hear my bike was so disturbing the one time I tried earplugs, I pulled over and took them out. :(

i can hear my bike below around 40mph (with lowish revs) revs, after that it's mostly wind noise. I have an after market exhaust.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was in the marine corps they had plugs for us mechanics to wear when we worked with power tools, some guy came and demonstrated how to use them correctly and it's a must with them inserted correctly I could
Hear people talking but not the loud air tools I think you shod research
Into what plugs do what and how to use them right.

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone mentioned them, but just reinforcing. I'm army, and not that I wear ear protection but when I do there's a certain set that drowns out the higher pitches, but still lets lower pitch stuff through so you can hear people talking, but loud equipment and power tools will be deadened down.

I forget what it's called, or who makes it, sorry :(

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Ball star for air flow and it works great. I also have the Sena mounted for phone calls and music, and I don't have any problem hearing either with my foam plugs in. Always wear plugs or you'll regret it later in life.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
since nobody is going to give advice on what you asked, here goes. you need a helmet that fits YOUR head shape. Arai has 3 shapes, but i know people that dont fit Arai well, and they wear a Shoei or Bell. A good snug fitting helmet with a tight chin/neck curtain will block out a lot more noise than you think. also the shield on the FZ6 causes a lot of buffeting around the helmet, so there's that too.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear ear plugs every time I ride, otherwise my ears well scream at me for a month. I do have a history of some hearing damage from guitar amps (tinnitus), but the wind on your helmet at 70 mph is enough to do damage to your ears no doubt.

I wear these every time I ride,
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/EAR-Ultra-Plugs-Pair-Corded/dp/B0001AGMU6]Amazon.com: EAR Ultra Fit Ear Plugs 1 Pair Corded: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

ear ultrafit corded plugs

MMM3404004_1_1.JPG

These are great because of the cord, they just hang around your neck when you hop off your bike, and the cord keeps them from getting separated, I always managed to loose one plug when I didn't use the corded kind.

As for options, I have tried a bunch. I have custom plugs made by the VA, I have used Etymotic Research's ER20 ETY-Plugs
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEESS/?tag=hyprod-20&hvadid=15473413779&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=696653397882059634&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B0044DEESS"]Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER20 ETY-Plugs Hearing Protection Earplugs, Standard Fit, Clear Stem with Blue Tip (Blue): Electronics[/ame]

and the foam kind you find at any hardware store. The Etymotic's are nice for lower volumes, they cut about 20 db of sound, I use these for music in a small club. I don't think they would be good under a helmet however, the stem is very hard plastic and over all the plugs are big in the ear, a bit uncomfortable.

The custom plugs are nice but I like the corded ones better because of the cord, they both block around 30 db of noise, so there is no loss in performance with the ultra fit corded plugs and they cost a fraction of the price of customs.

Something I did that changed dramatically the wind nosie at my helmet was to get a new wind screen. I bought a Madstad windscreen but they are pricey (about the same cost as a nice helmet). There are handful of good options out there though, and for me this just about eliminated the wind noise on my helmet, even still I wear plugs. (Just as a side note, the new screen eliminated all buffeting at highway speeds.)

I hear my engine well with plugs. I think it is an adjustment in listening with plugs, you listen vs being exposed if that makes sense. Maybe one relies more on feeling the bike too, the revs are there, it's just that the volume has been turned down a good bit. I figure this is something one would get used to pretty quick.

Anyway, this is what works for me.

Last edited:

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As a glasses wearer I like my Shoei Multitec. I tried several helmets on and it fit my head well. Not sure how well it reduces noise compared to other helmets (being my first and only helmet). But the flip-up face shield makes it easy for glasses on/off action.

As to ear plugs, I have and LOVE these:

Comply Foam Plugs

They are designed for noise reduction so you don't lose all hearing, its just attenuated to safer levels. Once you get them in, they warm up and expand to fill your ear canal and you can hardly feel them. The little curb-feelers make them easy to get out, and they're snug enough to stay put when my helmet goes on and comes off. They come with a little bag for storage that I keep in my jacket at all times. I use their foam tips on my headphones, too. I find them much more comfortable than the silicon that comes with most noise-cancelling headphones.

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
Great information guys. I definetly agree that my Madstad shield blocks more wind and reduces noise. I have had it off while I ride back and forth to work and use it on longer trips. I am going to go around this weekend and try a few other helmets to see what ends up fitting a little better and will report back. I never really considered the need to wear earplugs, but after looking at all the data it really does seem to make more sense to have them and will start testing out some that you have mentioned.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I had "Schuberth S1 Pro" for 5 years (my only helmet) and now bought a Schuberth S2 instead. I was first dissapointet that one of the quietest helmets of all wasn't more quiet than that, so I can only imagine how insane it could be traveling at high speed with a more noisy helmet...
If I know I have to do drive for more than half an hour on the highway I always try to remember some foam earplugs. I just buy a couple of cases of these...
Alpine Plug & Go® Gehörstöpsel - Ohrenstöpsel - Zubehör - Helme
Wear them a until you think they are too nasty and replace. They work great (really value for money) and if you accidently throw one or 2 away there is nothing to cry about because they are cheap.
Exactly because they are cheap I also use them for dirty work (cutting metal etc.)

My girlfriend has a Schuberth C3 Lady (db-specs are same for the regular C3). She had a Shoei Raid II before and now noise has been lowered significantly.
C3 is a "flip up" helmet so it's ideal for people wearing glasses aswell. If the glasses you wear has a tight fit around your face aswell might even be able to use the internal sunvisor aswell which can be flipped up/down with a slider-switch in the edge of the helmet.

Last edited:

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I've got the HJC, too. I use Howard Leight foam earplugs. I bought a big box of them. They block almost all wind noise, but allow me to hear traffic, the bike, the whole shebang. Don't forget to pinch the foam earplugs before inserting them! ;)

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a modular (Nolan N90) around town, and a full face (HJC IS-16) on longer trips. Reason being, I stop less on long trips, so the light weight and lower noise of the full face outweighs the convenience of the modular.

The HJC is almost due for replacement and I will likely get the Shoei Quest, which is supposedly the only full-face on the market which did its wind-tunnel testing upright rather than in a racing crouch. Haven't ridden with one, but apparently they are very quiet.