Beware of Falling Parts

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Two nights ago I removed my rear wheel to inspect the wheel bearings. While the wheel was off I did all kinds of great maintenance, degreasing and lubing the chain, greasing the axle, removed both chain adjusters for cleaning.
My chain adjusters have always been missing the second nut since purchase 1.5 years ago ("lock nut", or "buddy nut" it's called at times), and I've been meaning to replace them. But I never had a problem with anything coming loose, so it wasn't urgent. I torqued the single nut to spec.
Well apparently the dirt and grime in the threads of those chain adjusters were the only thing keeping the nut on each side. After a 35 mile highway ride to work, I look down and see this:
5amy8e8a.jpg

y6umuras.jpg

Whoops! New parts on order. Hope I didn't damage anyone's cage on my ride as parts were flying off the bike at 80 MPH.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on how much you need your bike you could make a couple of plates and get the proper nuts and secure the axle from walking while you're waiting for OEM parts toarrive. :)

The first nut is for pulling the axle rearward the second 'Pal Nut' has the locking function because the first nut can not be torqued to tighten against the plate. You should have the cast plate a washer and the 2 nuts per side.

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Cliff, I'm actually fully aware of the ins and outs of these adjusters...which makes me a bigger dumba$$ for not having purchased the buddy nuts.
With the axle nut torqued, I don't see it walking without the chain adjusters, but the bike will sit until the parts arrive Saturday or Tuesday latest. I had considered a solution like you offered, but no rush.

On the way home today (in my cage) I get the tire low pressure warning, pull off at the next exit and find this:

7u7ame3y.jpg

Picked up an eight penny nail in the road. Karma anyone? Lol.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the guy who got your parts stuck in his windshield and the guy who chased me down after getting a pebble kicked into his windshield by my rear tire can get together and start a group to get over it.

He was quite upset as he rode my fender for a few miles and exited his car with his chest puffed out at a red light. He was probably still upset when his chest deflated after seeing me with my duty belt on and a concerned co-worker exit his vehicle next to me. I'm sure he got over it during the quick walk back to his car. I still felt bad, but what can you do?

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the guy who got your parts stuck in his windshield and the guy who chased me down after getting a pebble kicked into his windshield by my rear tire can get together and start a group to get over it.

He was quite upset as he rode my fender for a few miles and exited his car with his chest puffed out at a red light. He was probably still upset when his chest deflated after seeing me with my duty belt on and a concerned co-worker exit his vehicle next to me. I'm sure he got over it during the quick walk back to his car. I still felt bad, but what can you do?

I wouldn't feel bad. That's what can happen to your vehicle when you tailgate! I was once turning onto a secondary highway from a two track with my truck and shortly after that a Mustang GT started to tailgate me. Apparently I wasn't going fast enough for him. He fell back real quick when he started to pick up mud chunks that were flung off of my tires!

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I can understand his anger if your pebble cracked or damaged his windshield, but you're right, he needed to get over it sooner. Getting out of his car at a red light to confront you is troubling. Lucky it didn't escalate.

I've had my windshield cracked by a dump truck losing stones from his load; that was easy. Just called the company while still following the truck. They apparently called the driver and told him to get off the highway. Later I received a check from them that covered my deductible. Not sure how you handle flying pebbles and parts from a private vehicle though.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at the picture I think you were extremely lucky. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the left chain adjuster got beat silly by the sprocket nuts which could have gotten very ugly had the adjuster not moved to the left about 15mm. You must be living clean. Unlike me who had a rear brake shoe lining come apart and lock up the rear wheel last Saturday on my old Honda. It was somewhat exciting!

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at the picture I think you were extremely lucky. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the left chain adjuster got beat silly by the sprocket nuts which could have gotten very ugly had the adjuster not moved to the left about 15mm. You must be living clean. Unlike me who had a rear brake shoe lining come apart and lock up the rear wheel last Saturday on my old Honda. It was somewhat exciting!

Agreed, I realized that I got lucky right away. The back end of the swing arm is all dinged up, along with the sprocket nuts. Can't imagine how bad it would have been to lock up the rear at highway speeds.