Bike for a BIG friend

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Additionally, learning on a less powerful bike also teaches the handling and working the clutch rather than simply relying on "power reserve" - that's why you see those "grandmas" on liter bikes left behind in curves by a guy on a "small" 600 cc.

There are plenty of riders out there riding liter bikes and not using full power available, but it takes skill to recognize the situation and unleash only the correct amount of power and I doubt that those guy learned on those liter bikes.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

I agree with much of what you say. But it's all in the attitude in how a person wants to learn. I started on the Fz6, totaled it. Jumped up to the Fz1 and crashed that the first day. Since then I'm getting close to 5000 miles without a problem on the Fz1 with a whole new respect for what the machine can deliver. I would say that I've learned more on controlling power and that "power reserve" on the Fz1 than on the Fz6. The Fz6 has power but you have to work the gears a lot more than the Fz1. A 600 cc will still lose me in the corners because I am still not comfortable really throwing the Fz1 around and the traction seems to be less reliable than the Fz6. I feel sometimes that if I were to come on the throttle too hard out of a corner there is a chance to break loose the rear and go down.

The Fz1's power is amazing, you could stay in first gear all through town and even on to the freeway. I've always drove manual transmissions cars for that same feeling of keeping the RPM's in the middle of the Peak Torque curve of the power band.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Test him out on the VStrom 650, I think it'd be good for him!

My dad is 6'4" and he sat on plenty of bikes before finding a good fit in the vstrom. He looks a bit out of place on my fz6.

The new 2012 and up Vstrom 650 is really nice and it has been upgraded in many areas. Suspension, motor, instrument,seat and looks. It's the prettiest Vstrom ever. Also better fuel economy and power. They don't use the SV 650 engine anymore. They use the Gladius engine. If I had the bucks and could keep my SV I would be on one right now. I would have to lower it but it might be just what the doctor ordered for your friend. You can also save a few bucks by getting the Adventure ABS model instead of buying bags and engine guards later at a much higher price.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'7 and started on 600s when I was 19.
I had ridden dirt bikes as a kid but this was my first real motorcycle,
it was a '93 katana. My second bike was the FZ6. I've liked both bikes a lot, and fit on
both just fine. It's totally worth a motorcycle safety course,
there is a lot to learn about riding a bike well.

542561_10151011622940488_1114213253_n.jpg

I think what it amounts to is that the riding position is more like it would be for a person of shorter height on a froward sitting crotch rocket. Something that is more of a cafe style bike (up right seating posture) suits a taller rider pretty well.

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'5", the FZ-6 was my first bike (I was 47) and after owning the BMW 1200 GS for two weeks now I realize it would have been a safer bike for me to learn on, even with twice the displacement. It still wouldn't be a good first bike, its heavy (and expen$ive).
I would almost recommend a dual-sport, 250 to 450 cc, for a tall beginner. When I did the MSF course I selected a tall 250 dualsport Kawasaki, and really enjoyed the leg room and the easy clutch (didn't stall the engine once, something I'd been having trouble with on the fizzer). The only problem I had was the figure-8 test; on the tight left-hand turn the horn button pressed into my knee, so I was blaring the horn through half the test. It rattled me a bit, but the other students and the instructors were rolling on the ground laughing. :rolleyes:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The GSX650F is a bit elongated.

Bandits also tend to be a bit longer for legspace.

Older sport-tourers/standards also tend to be more spacious.

KLR650 is another good first bike. He will still enjoy himself immensely if not more so on something like that....even if he never goes off-road.

You don't need to go to a big power machine to get extra space.

FZ1 is pretty tight...I found it pretty close to the FZ6.