Bike hiccuping!!! Help!!!

[email protected]

Reaction score
Visit site
I was coming back from a trip and my bike started hiccupping. Not frequent. Its like a very quick slip like a hiccup. Is it bad gas? Low on Gas? It seems to happen more when im low but I think it happened when it wasn't low too. I just don't want to harm my bike by riding it like that. Everything on the surface checks out ...

Hopefully it's just bad gas, but if it continues to happen with continued fill ups at different stations, maybe the fuel pump is going? how many miles do you have on the 05? Any accidents/drops? It also will help to tell us more about the symptoms when it hiccups.

I'm not an authority in these matters, but my first thought is bad gas or the fuel pump, and next would be a bad plug or plug connection that is causing misfires.

Another thing that you might consider is an intermittent run/kill switch. You might play with the kill switch while it's running and see if you can make it hiccup. :)

The bike died in the middle of the street today too. Its been to different stations, its probably the fuel pump. It does it during a full tank, it doesn't show that its overheating. It seems to do it less when I keep the throttle even but I don't know. Fuel pump makes sense though.

Also if it's an 05 have a dealer run the serial number to see if the TPS has been replaced. There was a recall for that on the 05...:)

The TPS generally acts up at slow speeds, stalls, etc. If its hiccupping at speed, probably not. There's a section for how to check the TPS at the top of the Tech section: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ou-experiencing-poor-idle-mileage-stalls.html

Its likely NOT the fuel pump.

The red safety, kill switch on the right handlebar, as noted above by Cliff, is a known weak point. If you use it often, its more likely to be the culprit.

Below is a link on how to by pass it (its not difficult). You can't buy just that switch but have to purchase the entire switch assembly if it is the issue and you want a working kill switch.

Post #22: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/48311-run-switch-faulty.html

You can also just jump the wires outside the harness (by the handlebar) if you don't want to unsoldier/cut at the switch just yet.

Last edited:
Is that what that red switch by the throttle is? I've never used it, but my jerk friend tested its operation for me at a stoplight once.

On a serious note, if the switch was faulty, wouldn't it cause the engine to completely stop or not start at all instead of just running sloppy?

Is that what that red switch by the throttle is? I've never used it, but my jerk friend tested its operation for me at a stoplight once.

On a serious note, if the switch was faulty, wouldn't it cause the engine to completely stop or not start at all instead of just running sloppy?

At the early stages of failure it doen't make a good connection and begins to shut off the igntion, alot of times depending on vibration too. Just gently rocking it (not fully) while running the engine while stationary will make the engine run rough/die.

As a side note re your buddy, my buddy, years ago, while on duty on pollice motorcycles, was kind enough to hit my kill switch while riding about 40 down a 2 lane road with traffic. That's fine, after I turned his fuel lever off while at lunch, it made it a couple of blocks before his Harley died while underway! Ah, the good ole days...

Back to the thread:)

i would also check for air in the fuel system. while this is highly unlikely, because normally the bike would stall when in uphill on downhill. air could be entering if you find rubbed down pipes, the continiuos friction when pipes rub with each other or another hard object will thin the rubber walls creating a tiny hole where air enters.

but as i said this is rather unlikely so i would check the killswitch first.

Back