Biker hits highest speed, gets biggest fine

Mr T

Reaction score
Visit site
It was a quiet Saturday for two traffic officers who were speed trapping along the N2 near Port Shepstone, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, until they nearly fell off their beach chairs. One of three motorcyclists riding past was clocked at 295km/h, the highest recorded speed yet.

And this week magistrate Mahendra Daya handed down the highest fine yet recorded - R100 000 or three years' jail; half suspended for five years.

"I'll never do it again," said a very relieved speedster Jan Hendrik de Vos while shaking hands with officer Aboo Aboobaker.

De Vos was found guilty in the Scottburgh District Court on Thursday for travelling at 295km/h on his Suzuki GSX-R 1100, a motorcycle he no longer owns.

The record-breaker also has to pay a further R2 000 for riding an unlicensed vehicle and for not displaying his number plate or face six months in jail.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how much is R 100,000 in a currency i can relate to?

but ya, wow, thats wild. he doesnt own it anymore cuz they took it from him? or his parents made him sell it? haha

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
R 100,000 is about 12 500 USD

wow that is like half a year's salary for your run of the mill nothing-special full time job. insane. that guys gonna be feeling that for ages. unless he's loaded. which he's probably not.

towa

Papa Smurf
Reaction score
Visit site
He..

How did they catch him???

With no licenseplate - they would never had a chance

:rockon:

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, a group of us where just talking about our local speed busts records.

I guess on a stretch of I5 (interstate 5) here (a bad spot to speed most of the time) A guy hit 160mph or more on his bike and got jailed.

here is the stretch:
i5 oregon - Google Maps

But the funny part was when the local news ran the story on TV a ton of "hooligans" called in yelling that the speed was not a record because they have done way faster.. some even claimed to be drunk when doing it.

Just thought that was funny

I think this is the story...

YouTube Video Shows Oregon Man Going 164 MPH on Motorcycle (VIDEO) - Salem-News.Com

Last edited:

Noober

Reaction score
Visit site
My friend went alittle north of 200 on his R1 a few years back, not sure what mods he had done though.

yamahamahafz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea me and my brother were racing like idiots one day of course he was toying with me because he had an 06 R1 but he took off and waved behind himself at me as he tore away. When we finally met up again he said he had hit 180 and it was insane. Shorty after he sold his bike...me thinks he knew it was nothing but trouble to be able to reach those speeds.