Black Stripe on Silver Rims

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Someone asked about striping silver rims but I can't find the thread. I just applied stripes to mine a couple days ago so I thought I'd post the pics.

blackstripe-apple-1.jpg

blackstripe-flash-1.jpg

It was done with the same tape I used to stripe my helmet. 1/4" 3m Reflective Tape, Black. I used an applicator that I bought from another member to help me follow the rim. The whole job took me @ 20 minutes, Including cleaning the rim w/ windex to remove oil/dirt.

Bike was put on the center stand and I just sat down and spun the wheel as needed. It would have been a good idea to lock the front end. I had to fight the turning of the steering column while doing the left side, locked it up when doing the right.

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
Those do look nice. I just ordered some silver stripes for my black rims, and it comes with an applicator. The first time I tried doing it by hand, it came out terrible. My wheel looked like an egg when it was spinning. Guess I was a little jittery not having my morning drink :Flash:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
This looks nicer than I imagined when I read your thread title.
Thanks Elizabeth. I had the same apprehension but I had the tape and figured 'what the heck?' I wanted a reflective strip there so it was worth a shot. I would much rather have black rims/frame but I got what I got. :)

Those do look nice. I just ordered some silver stripes for my black rims, and it comes with an applicator. The first time I tried doing it by hand, it came out terrible. My wheel looked like an egg when it was spinning. Guess I was a little jittery not having my morning drink :Flash:
The applicator really helps a lot. I had to keep a finger behind it to press the tape to the rim as I turned the wheel. First try it 'sort of' stuck but started to pull of after @ 8 inches or so. The applicator I have doesn't quite contact the rim.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
hey there yea it wasme who asked about the silver wheels :) it does look very nice and i have same colour bike so i think when i next get a few pound spare i will be getting some. thanks for the pictures helped alot

Dan :thumbup:

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I have the exact same magnetic tank bag........but I put it backwards. (180° turned)

It seems logical that the zipper for the biggest compartiment is facing the rider, so it can be openen easilly? Also when naked, it's more aerodynamical when put on 180° turned.

Or am I totally wrong? :spank:
:D

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
KingY, Glad to find the guy that was asking... Black was the only choice really, unless I went with silver. I'm still jealous of black rims w/ red or blue tape but I like the way this looks and really like the reflective wheel look at night.

Or am I totally wrong? :spank:
:D

If it works for you, how can it be wrong? :) One of the things I love about the bag is it seems made for this tank. Never put her on backwards though, I'll have to take a look. I haven't had problems putting things in the main pocket while riding. Mainly sunglasses. I keep them in the top pocket but it is a lot easier to get them in the main pocket if I'm riding.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
KingY, Glad to find the guy that was asking... Black was the only choice really, unless I went with silver. I'm still jealous of black rims w/ red or blue tape but I like the way this looks and really like the reflective wheel look at night.

If it works for you, how can it be wrong? :) One of the things I love about the bag is it seems made for this tank. Never put her on backwards though, I'll have to take a look. I haven't had problems putting things in the main pocket while riding. Mainly sunglasses. I keep them in the top pocket but it is a lot easier to get them in the main pocket if I'm riding.

you are right. the bag seems to blend in with the bike.:thumbup:
I usually keep it for a photocamera, cellphone, wallet, earplugs...

I'll give the right position also a try :)

Nice rim stripes by the way. they look really centered, and a nice install.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice rim stripes by the way. they look really centered, and a nice install.

Thanks, the blame for that entirely lies on the use of an applicator. I would have had to pull the wheels to get it that clean with out it.

I use it to carry a soda and a sub/sandwich. That was my main reason for getting it. I carry a microfiber cloth in the main pocket and the rear pocket holds my wallet/phone/camera/house keys. I hate having stuff in my pockets when I ride :)

Last edited:

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Grats, nice to see it worked out for you. I had the same issue where it wouldn't quite "squeegee" the tape down, so I had to run a finger along it too.

Now all you need to do is find some other member who wants the applicator and we can have our own FZ6 "Brotherhood of the traveling Wheel Stripe Applicator" club.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Grats, nice to see it worked out for you. I had the same issue where it wouldn't quite "squeegee" the tape down, so I had to run a finger along it too.

Now all you need to do is find some other member who wants the applicator and we can have our own FZ6 "Brotherhood of the traveling Wheel Stripe Applicator" club.

LOL, I have to get red tape and do the Red FZ first. then it is free to the next dude/dudette.