Blue Ridge and the Alleghenies: Sept 26-28

Judd

Reaction score
Visit site
3 Day Ride. DC to Southern VA. Down through the Blue Ridge Mtns and back north through the Allegheny Mtns.

Planning to spend day one on Skyline and the BRP to Roanoke. Day two, loop down around Woolwine/Hillsville/Wytheville and back up to Lexington through the Jefferson Nat Forest. Day three, Warm Springs then north through Monongahela Nat Forest and back via Harrisonburg/Edinburg.

The good riding starts and ends in Front Royal. Will run out 66 on Friday and take 66 back on Sunday but otherwise keep highways to a minimum.

Current ride plans is ~300 miles each day with overnights in Roanoke and Lexington. If you are interested let me know and we can work together to finalize details.

Happy to ride solo but would be great touring with other riders.

Keep the shiny side up.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Dang, sounds like fun. I wish my schedule were more predictable to commit to it. If I were to do it, I'd take time off during the week to do this during peak season as I know there can be a lot of traffic on those "back" roads on the weekend days.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't commit at the moment, but if I were to jump on this, I could join you at the top of the Parkway, near Afton, VA.

Judd

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds good guys.

@ Beatle: I can't take too many days off so need to do a weekender. Spending Friday on Skyline and BRP so should be a little better than Sat/Sun (hopefully).

@ Rumblestrip: glad to meet you on Friday near Afton if it works out on your end.

nsiderbam

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm definitely interested in going! Would we be camping? I have saddlebags and gear! This poor grad student would like to not pay for hotels haha.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be at the Maggie Valley that weekend. If you see an Hondapotamas with California plate give me a wave. I'll be the old guy with sparks coming off the peg feelers.

Judd

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! Glad to hear, George! I booked a couple nights in cheap hotels (less than $100 a night) but can cancel anytime, just wanted to get something reserved. Think it might be nice to not have to camp since we are going to try to cover ~900 miles in three days, but i do have a tent/gear and could be up for it.

I remember those starving-student days. You can just throw in whatever you can on the motels and I am happy to cover the rest. Not a big deal.

Give me a call in the next few days and we can talk about the ride plan, lodging, etc.

Judd

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be at the Maggie Valley that weekend. If you see an Hondapotamas with California plate give me a wave. I'll be the old guy with sparks coming off the peg feelers.

Hell yeah. I'm jealous. Got down there last year and it was a few days of epic riding. Wish it were closer.

Have a blast. That's one way to remove the peg feelers - grind'em down!

Judd

Reaction score
Visit site
Great ride. Two days, 680 miles, with nice weather and no traffic.

Rode Skyline Drive end-to-end and then 120 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway. These are popular motorcycling roads for a reason. Winding along the top of a mountain ridge hour after hour, countless scenic overlooks with valley views, and went ~225 miles without a traffic light.

Day two was in the Allegheny Mountains along the VA/WV border. Highlights included Rt 42, Rt 39, Rt 92, Rt 250, Rt 220, Rt 33, and then VA Rt 678 south of Front Royal.

I enjoyed this trip a lot and plan to do the same route again in the spring. Maybe do it in reverse to change it up but either way it's just an awesome ride.

Last edited:

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad it went well, man! I passed near Skyline on rte 33 today and thought about it. Couldn't do it this time, but I hope I can join up some day down the road for another one.