Shenandoah Valley Backroads & BRP: May 14-15

Judd

Reaction score
Visit site
Spring Two-Day Ride

Leaving from the DC Metro on Thursday and coming back on Friday. Took this ride in late September and it was awesome. Using the same ride plan again but going to run it in reverse this time.

Two full days of riding, ~680 miles with minimal slab except for the ride out to Front Royal and back on 66. Overnight at a HoJo's in Daleville, VA.

Day one to include Rt 678 (south of Front Royal), Rt 33 from Harrisonburg to Franklin WV, then south through Monterey, Minnehaha Springs, Warm Springs, and Eagle Rock.

Day two is a 120 miles on the Blue Ridge Pkwy then continue north on Skyline Dr and take it end-to-end back into Front Royal.

There was virtually no traffic in the fall, so should have the backroads to ourselves on a Thurs/Fri. Riding season is here...time to put down some miles. Let me know if you want to roll.

Keep the shiny side up,

Judd

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a lot of fun and work! Did some of these roads in a VW camper Lol! Camped in Shenandoa Valley at Bird's Nest Shelter. I don't like slabbing either!
Take some pictures for us! :D

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
BRP is great. Skyline less so, but still much better than 81!

I'll be at Superbike school @ VIR on the 11th and 12th so I'll be pretty wiped, but you should have a good time out there. I've been on the BRP countless times in my Miata. The miles just seem to disappear when you're the only one on the road.

Judd

Reaction score
Visit site
BRP is great. Skyline less so, but still much better than 81!

I'll be at Superbike school @ VIR on the 11th and 12th so I'll be pretty wiped, but you should have a good time out there. I've been on the BRP countless times in my Miata. The miles just seem to disappear when you're the only one on the road.

Nice! Heard track school at VIR was awesome. Have a great time, Beatle. If you get back and are itching to get out and practice your new throttle control skills let me know - you could just make it a sick week of riding and would love to have a wing man.

My only issue on Skyline is the slower speed limit. But 100+ miles of winding road without cross streets, traffic lights, or stop signs is pretty zen.

If not this trip let's get up for a ride sometime soon.

Judd

Reaction score
Visit site
This ride was awesome. 675 miles over two days and pretty much ideal conditions.

Thurs was low 70's and nothing but blue sky and lots of great back roads. I saw at least 3 dozen of those highway signs with the curvy arrow going up on the yellow diamond - always good to see. My $65 room at the Super 8 was surprisingly large, clean, and comfortable. (Was expecting worse.) And the ride home on the BRP and Skyline was great too. Had the BRP to myself - went 110 miles at a brisk pace and never came up behind a single car! There were a few more people on Skyline but mostly other bikes and was able to get around the few cagers at the next passing zone.

Will definitely take this ride again. Just a sweet mix of mountains, rivers, and farms with endless curves and tons of long sweepers. I know it's not for everyone but this ride reminded me why I fell in love with motorcycling - just an amazing feeling rolling down the road.

Oh, and the FZ6 did not disappoint. Love the motorcycle. But now I'm just preachin' to the choir.

Here's to adventures!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for sharing! Beautiful country just like I remember it!