Bought a kit to convert to naked: Fz6 '2005 - Failed

Steinrawr

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking forward to converting my Fz6 to naked after completely wasting my fairings on some low speed tarmac jumping up on me...

I bought this:For Yamaha FZ6N 2004-2006 2005 FZ6S Fazer Headlight Set Head Light Assembly New | eBay
After starting to put it all together I met a few bumps on the road, covers not fitting nicely, not nearly enough screws or anything to put it together or rubber possible to make use of: hard as ****. Worst part is the frame for the lamp doesn't even fit with the parts that followed.

I'm in despair. What the hell do I do? I could go back to original setup, where my fairing-lamp would have to be taped on again, or make use of the kit somehow. Budget: £ -25.

I don't even know if I'm really asking for anything. Needed to air out.

I hate my life right now, this should've been the last 3 weeks riding before winter is here...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks...

Seems to me (although on-line the kit looks nice!), you should send it back as it isn't cheap and you shouldn't have to mod, buy parts etc for it..

At least your at the end of summer and only out 3 weeks.

There's several members on your side of the world with some very nice naked set ups.,

Someone will chime in and you can get some good, reliable recommendations...

Be patient, it'll work out for you...;)

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking forward to converting my Fz6 to naked after completely wasting my fairings on some low speed tarmac jumping up on me...

I bought this:For Yamaha FZ6N 2004-2006 2005 FZ6S Fazer Headlight Set Head Light Assembly New | eBay
After starting to put it all together I met a few bumps on the road, covers not fitting nicely, not nearly enough screws or anything to put it together or rubber possible to make use of: hard as ****. Worst part is the frame for the lamp doesn't even fit with the parts that followed.

I'm in despair. What the hell do I do? I could go back to original setup, where my fairing-lamp would have to be taped on again, or make use of the kit somehow. Budget: £ -25.

I don't even know if I'm really asking for anything. Needed to air out.

I hate my life right now, this should've been the last 3 weeks riding before winter is here...

The eBay naked kit takes quite a bit of fine tuning to get the desired results from it. I realize this is disappointing considering how much a kit costs. In its defense from what I have heard it is on par quality and price wise with the VS1 & VS2 kit. If you want post pictures of the problems you are having with the kit and I can try to assist you. I pieced together a kit for my FZ6 S2 from individual parts purchased from eBay, and hardware that I acquired for the job so I think I have a pretty good understanding of what is needed.

They may have skimped you on some hardware is sounds like, some of what you need you may be able to salvage from the busted fairing you have. The rest can be picked up pretty easily from the hardware store. The reason that the headlight housing won't fit on(in) the main mount is because the main mount is usually ****. I've only heard of one person on the forum being able to just slide on the headlight after receiving the kit, the rest of us had a to take pliers to it and bend the hell out of the mounts. I am referring to the little arms that have two bolt holes, one on each side of the bike (Left and Right).

If you want to wash your hands of it (nobody would blame you) somebody on the forum might be interested in picking it up and giving it a go. I have never tried to ship anything BACK to China before so i'm not sure how that would go...

ANOTHER option that I did that results in endless possibilities is to take the main mount, CUT the metal bars that go down to hold the headlight housing, GRIND, FILE, and SAND that contact point, and finally REPAINT it. That will leave you with a nice speedometer mount and then all you need to come up with is a headlight mount, cheap bunny ears from Amazon will work and any ol' headlight and turn signals(if you fancy) and you've got a custom looking bike. THose are just suggestions, you can do anything really once you get the speedometer taken care of. Dominator headlights, big round headlights, led auxiliary lights, whatever you want. Let me know if you are curious about that, I have pictures on the chopping of the speedo mount and my current setup.

Hope I provided some help!

Cheers!

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this conversion with the eBay kit (s2 version) a few weeks ago and it worked perfectly. It's a good quality kit, nothing compared to the VS kit. Mind you that this is my 3rd headlight change and I have gotten pretty good at this by now.

Yes, the kit is missing most of the bolts and nuts but you can buy them out separately or you can repurpose a lot from your previous fairings. Yes the rubbers that came with it seems useless but you can cut them out to use them as spacers for the mini fairings of the headlight (do not use them as the speedo gromets). Do not modify the mount/stay, it fits perfectly straight for me and if you have the same kit then it will fit perfectly for you too. Also there is very little space behind the headlight and oyu will need to pull most of your cables inside the frame under the tank if you want to make it fit, unless you want to hack your main harness. This will take some time if you want to get it done properly.

Gotta go to work but if you want to send questions then I will gladly help you.

Steinrawr

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It seems like the frame was bent a few places, making it seem not to fit (did not look unnatural). I had to do some modifications around the speedo, but visually that is not possible to see now with the end result. I'm working on the wiring harness now, and I'm not really sure whether to pull it back into the frame, or modify it. It's a tight fit, but if I remove the dimmer relay, It works with room to spare.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Not trying to harass or degrade anyone, this is MY opinion. That kit sucks! The VS01/VS02 is a more complete, "bolt on" setup. I bought the Chinese kit spent a few days trying to figure out just how much modding I'd have to do to make it work and in the end paid $80 to return it and then get the VS01. With It are you get everything you need. Even plainly written instructions for S1 & S2 models. Even a diagram that shows how to route your extra work harness to avoid cutting it.

But it looks like you're gonna stick with it so.... Post pics!!!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk