Bought an '05: second thoughts about it's condition

Rev-A

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I am a bit stressed about my first bike deal :(, and although I am getting it to a dealer in a few weeks to get it serviced and checked out, I was hoping I could get your thoughts about it! I took some pics, maybe some of you guys can take a look and give me your opinion and ease my mind???

The bike is from 2005 (november) and has 5500 miles on it. I bought it 2 weeks ago from the first owner, all seemed really reliable, test drive was great (it's only the second bike I have ridden, just got my license) and he has full service history.

When I got home and checked the bike out more closely (and with more sunlight) I got a bit worried about the amount of rust on engine parts, some scratches on the mirrors, front blinkers and some silver engine covers on both sides that were worse than my first impression. Because of the scratches, I was beginning to think the bike has been dropped, but the owner really confirmed that it was not the case. I guess it must have by scratching a wall or something? The rust can probably be explained because the bike was stored outside under a bike cover. But it is a bit much. Can it be cleaned??

I think it also has some corrosion on some engine covers. All the blue body work is in good condition, no scratches, also no dents in the tank, so that's a good thing. I have driven about 50 miles with it so far, the ride is great! (as far a my experience goes).

This is my story, thanks for the input you can give me ;) You can check out my bike here by clicking here (in 2592×1944 pixel)

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well after looking at those pics I would say........No worries ;)

All you need is some WD40, Scotch Bright, and a wire brush and she'll be as good as new. It's all just a little surface rust. As far as the scratches, meh, maybe it did get dropped but as long as nothing is bent or broken and from the looks of it, it all seems cosmetic. Once the mechanics (good move) check it out, wrap your legs around and ride the hell out her.

You and the bike will be fine and you'll be like "where have you been all my life"

OH and welcome to the FZ6! :welcome:

Be Safe!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I am a bit stressed about my first bike deal :(, and although I am getting it to a dealer in a few weeks to get it serviced and checked out, I was hoping I could get your thoughts about it! I took some pics, maybe some of you guys can take a look and give me your opinion and ease my mind???

The bike is from 2005 (november) and has 5500 miles on it. I bought it 2 weeks ago from the first owner, all seemed really reliable, test drive was great (it's only the second bike I have ridden, just got my license) and he has full service history.

When I got home and checked the bike out more closely (and with more sunlight) I got a bit worried about the amount of rust on engine parts, some scratches on the mirrors, front blinkers and some silver engine covers on both sides that were worse than my first impression. Because of the scratches, I was beginning to think the bike has been dropped, but the owner really confirmed that it was not the case. I guess it must have by scratching a wall or something? The rust can probably be explained because the bike was stored outside under a bike cover. But it is a bit much. Can it be cleaned??

I think it also has some corrosion on some engine covers. All the blue body work is in good condition, no scratches, also no dents in the tank, so that's a good thing. I have driven about 50 miles with it so far, the ride is great! (as far a my experience goes).

This is my story, thanks for the input you can give me ;) You can check out my bike here by clicking here (in 2592×1944 pixel)
I think that your bike is fine, just needs a bit of elbow grease as BranNwebster has said.
I also think your bike has been dropped at very slow speed. The clutch cover has all the signs of this. The scratches on the mirror appear to be on the underside which also fits with a flop and drop. Still is is nothing major.

Good luck

Nelly

Rev-A

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for your thoughts guys! made me feel better :). I shall be getting it to the shop soon to get serviced, and probably order two new mirrors and maybe a clutch cover dependable on the cost. after that, cleaning with a rust remover should do the trick?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Nelly, definatley the bike has been dropped. I recognize from the turn signals because mine looks exactly the same:(

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
You're stressed about that???

It only has 5500 miles on it???

Uhhh, how much did you get that FZ6 for? I bet you found the deal of your life and you don't even know it!!!

Tell you what: Get out there and drive that thing up to FULL SPEED!! That will stress you out.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 05 with the exact same marks on the indicator and left engine cover.
Mine fell over in the previous owners garage as he was getting it out one morning and he lost his balance(70 years old).I didn't worry about the indicator and the dealer I bought it through had the cover filled and sanded and looks brand new now.You got nothing to worry about mate.

I did talk to the original owner to see if the story was true and yes it is , he traded the bike on an ER500N and I have bought bikes of these guys before and they are reliable.

MIFZ600

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't worry to much about nothing. The rust you'll never get away from unless your a neat freak and wipe down your bike every ride and store it out of weather always. Rust can be easly removed with WD-40 and some scotch brite pads or steel wool.

It's possible it has atleast been laid over from a still postion but doesn't look harmful to me. Yeah it's possible it was drug against the wall but I find that unlikely.

If the bike runs good and the checkout is all good from the shop..Enjoy it and don't worry so much about minor deals.

MIFZ600

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased my 06 FZ6 for $4300.00 and it had 2149 miles on it. Still looked cherry off the floor well until I cornered it at 51 MPH in a left bank turn and rode it off into the sunset down the hill and flipped twice before I played superman for 20 yards and in flight for about 30 seconds........but all is good i'm still walking and talking just need all my front plastic replaced and some minor engine work...........god i hope it's minor engine work.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate,

Its your first big bike, don't fix it up good until you are happy with the weight and handling. Put some crash bobbins on and take Elm's advice. "Get out and ride".
Both Vegas and I are experienced in the subtle and embarrassing art of the flop and drop:spank:

Nelly

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate,

Its your first big bike, don't fix it up good until you are happy with the weight and handling. Put some crash bobbins on and take Elm's advice. "Get out and ride".
Both Vegas and I are experienced in the subtle and embarrassing art of the flop and drop:spank:

Nelly
OK I have had a Brain fart. I will try to post photographic evidence, so that my peers may judge me with all of the facts. I have just been to Ireland for two weeks holiday. Prior to going I was just making sure that my garage was secure ect. I was just walking my bike out of the garage and I caught the hem of my trousers on the pedal of my cycle. I had that awful moment when you over balance and for a brief moment you still think you got it. I didn’t still got it and I dropped my bike. Now this in itself is not such a big thing however, only a few weeks previously I was joking at the expense of some of the other rider’s misfortunes, and posted a reply stating that my bike was still a “minter”. I also manage to land the bike on a set of dumbbells that I cant be arsed to use so I now have a nice dent in the petrol tank.

Nelly's bike.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/hall-shame/909-post-your-hall-shame-moments-here.html

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Aw well.....ya see I can explain every thing..Bollocks you got me:spank::spank:.
Thanks for dragging that painfull memory back up mate lol:ban::ban:.

FZ-Dave

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the '05' bike too... I've not dropped mine yet, but I have managed to put some similar marks on my rear indicators.

Every night I wheel my bike backwards into a (push)bike shed outside my flat. The bike shed has big curved metal rails bolted to the floor, so I tend to lock my bike up inside there. There is a combination lock of the door so its safe from strangers and it keeps it out of the weather.

Occasionally when taking it off the stand and wheeling it out, I catch the indicator on the metal rails... I guess if I caught the clutch or the pegs at the right angle they could mark in this way too, so maybe the chap you bought it from is telling the truth?

Anyway, looks like you picked up a nice enough machine, new indicators will be cheap and you might find some you prefer to the original ones anyway.

Dave

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased my 06 FZ6 for $4300.00 and it had 2149 miles on it. Still looked cherry off the floor well until I cornered it at 51 MPH in a left bank turn and rode it off into the sunset down the hill and flipped twice before I played superman for 20 yards and in flight for about 30 seconds........but all is good i'm still walking and talking just need all my front plastic replaced and some minor engine work...........god i hope it's minor engine work.

You got a deal! Wow. Glad you are okay, and you walked away from that. ;)

Take care

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate,

Nelly

I agree with the boyz.. and Elm.. clean up the rust, could be from condensation and if you have the service records you know the internals are good.. I would ride for a while and not replace the other little scratched items they are hardly noticable.. if it isn't eroding I would let it be for a bit.

Congratulations on your BIKE :thumbup: and :welcome:

Deb

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with the barely clean and ride the heck out of it. Once you've put a bunch of miles on it you can sell it and get a new one. At least this way, if you have a get-off, then there's not a lot of pain with a few more scratches.

Given the condition of it though, I would SERIOUSLY recommend getting the steering head bearings checked. It seems that these are the very first things to go in adverse conditions and being outside under a cover (Looks like a non-breathable TARP to me!) it has gathered moisture in all the tight places. If you cannot do it yourself, have the dealer inspect and repack the bearings in the steering head or replace if needed. A failure of these could cost you your life in the wrong corner.

Most of that is cosmetic... If it bothers you, pick a spot every few nights and work on it. In a few weeks, it'll look as good as new. Fine sandpaper and paint can go a long way!

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Bad news: the bike has definitely been dropped (been there - done that)

Good news: the drop was low speed (0 mph?) and (at least from the pics) doesn't seem to have caused anything really bad.

I'd add my voice to the chorus that says "ride first, fix later" for the cosmetics. Save the money for any engine work that might crop up in the next month or so. If nothing comes up then I'd pop for a few new bolts and maybe some covers - try ebay etc before putting down $$$ at the dealer. Be careful removing the old bolts as it's easy to strip em out. Use the right tools of course ...

I didn't see anything that a bit of sandpaper, elbow-grease and some careful spray painting couldn't cure. Enjoy!!! :Sport:

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the majority that it probably has had a low speed (0 KM/H) drop but nothing dramatic, I've got a couple of similar scratches on my indicators and mirrors from the narrow alley behind the house.

If you're still unsure you could always use the promotor adviser (adviseur) who will check the bike and tell you what (if anything) is wrong with it, this costs €135 (€120 if you are subscribed to the magazine) plus €0,19 per kilometer for travel expenses (that's return journey costs, so simply the cost to the location where it's at). They also do a compression test for an extra €15.

Promotor is a motorbike magazine published by the ANWB, the Dutch equivelent of the AAA and the AA etc.

In the August edition of the magazine they published the findings of an inspection on a FZ1, I know it's a different bike but it gives an idea what to look for.

Rev-A

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks all for your opinions so far :) really great! i'll get some better sleep tonight :)

I'm sad that it's probably been laid down on the ground, opposite to what I was told by the seller. I should have checked more and asked more about it. normally I am quite picky on these kind of things :p

The good news is that it's probably nothing abnormal and that it can be fixed fairly easily :). I will try to arrange an appointment at the dealer asap for a checkup, find some new mirrors and try to clean the rust off. the promotor advisor is a good idea, will keep that in mind for later!

Keeping you all posted!

Last edited: