Brake Pads

Topher

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys wanted some opinions. My front brakes needs to be changed but I'm not sure if its something I want to do myself or not. Brakes are not something to mess around with and I've done a lot of mechanical fixes but I've never even changed a brake pad on a car let alone a bike. There are several tutorials on how to do it but I wanted some of your guys opinions. Also are their any points that need to be greased on the 2005 Fz6? An older vehicle of mine had Zert fittings that you had to grease, anything like that on the bike? Thanks for the help.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tough question. As brake jobs go, the bike is easier than most. But if you have never done brakes, it is the hardest one you ever did. No place to experiment. Is it possible to work with someone who HAS done brakes? That is the best way to learn and to be safe

Do you have a factory service manual? It tells you that what to lubricate and gives you the torque specs for the fasteners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Topher

Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly I don't have anyone that I know of around here unless someone else in near Pensacola/Navarre fl. lol but I do have an electronic copy of the manual.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly I don't have anyone that I know of around here unless someone else in near Pensacola/Navarre fl. lol but I do have an electronic copy of the manual.
Ride to Scott's house Lol! [MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION]

Sent from Moto's Motorola

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The S1 front brakes are a bit easier to do as you have half the pistons as the S2 bikes to deal with.

It's really not difficult with the correct tools(air compressor being a big help, Mity vac, etc). Bleeding took longer than the actual dis-assembly / replacement of the seals.

I can knock out an S2 in an hour plus bleeding, yours, even shorter time wise.
(I've had mine apart twice(once cleaning, once re-sealing), my FJR (same caliper) once re-sealing

I'm in SW Florida, probably 6 hours from you. If you pick up the parts, seals, brake fluid, brake cleaner, I have the rest and can knock it out or preferably, show you how to...

If not, I don't know of any tutorials here. I can write up something for you IF you have the proper equipment to tackle it.

Just a side note, I re-sealed my S2 probably 3 years ago. With the front wheel in the air, I can still "hand spin"-(spin as hard as you can by hand) and easily get 4 FULL rotations of the wheel. I have to put masking tape on the side wall or I'll miss the count..

I double check my work by putting a lazer temp gun on the disc's after a hard stop making sure both disc temps are about the same (confirming no air in the system).

Lemme know. If you prefer to call, PM me..

If their dragging bad, IE disc's are hot to the touch when NO BRAKING IS APPLIED, I wouldn't ride it as your going to warp the disc's and cause more issues. Trailering down here would be best.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Surely if it's just replacing the pads that's very simple and good instructions exist.

It is, BUT, the S1 ft vs the S2 bikes are different, S1's needing some grease for the main, mounting, floating caliper bracket.

If we knew the year bike, it's easy to explain here (pad replacement only). The shop manual is also a good place to look and as the pad replacement isn't difficult, it's easy to follow

I just had my front, S2 pads out this am for cleaning... Two clips and one pin..