Broken seat cowl clips

RobotGabe

Reaction score
Visit site
Have a rear seat cowl that came with my bike. Three of the four metal clips have broken off. Any thoughts on how to fix?

It appears to be an official Yamaha seat cowl but I can seem to find any info on it.

Is it just as simple as me JB WELDING new tabs on it?
ny6ysaja.jpg
e5a9usus.jpg

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't mind the look of rivets, you could drill and rivet the brackets back on. If you do it cleanly, it could look really nice. And it would be much more permanent than glue. JB weld is pretty strong, but a solid rivet would be tough to beat.

RobotGabe

Reaction score
Visit site
I would do that but the problem is I don't have the tabs anymore. They fell off while I was on the bike. I was lucky to grab it as it fell off.

RobotGabe

Reaction score
Visit site
I would do that but the problem is I don't have the tabs anymore. They fell off while I was on the bike. I was lucky to grab it as it fell off.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Hm. That does present a hiccup to the plan. Is it possible for you to head to a place like ace hardware or home depot and pickup a similar gauge of aluminum to bend and mount?

RobotGabe

Reaction score
Visit site
That was my original idea...to just cut and bend some aluminum.
I'm just shocked that there aren't more people having this problem followed by solutions. All three broke the first week I had the bike.

Thanks again for the help.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know of many people who have seat cowls. I think they look cool, but I don't have one. It's more common for the streetfighter guys to have seat cowls. Maybe one of them will offer some input. :)

But if you can find some similar gauge aluminum and just bend it to match the current tab you have left, I would do that, then rivet all four of the clips to the seat cowl. That should be pretty damn near permanent. :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: Take a close look at the inside. If you see "mat material" like actual fiberglass, I would roughen the interior with 40 grit, drill a hole in your aluminum bracket and lay fiberglass cloth over the bracket and a small surrounding area.

However, most of the bike is ABS resin. If that is the case, Fiberglass Mat and ABS resin and hardener would be best for bonding.

ABS has minimal Mat grain compared to fiberglass. You can also tell by the smell and look when you sand it. Lastly - sand your new tabs and make them rough to ensure a good bond to the cowl material.

RobotGabe

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome suggestion! Thank you.
I do enjoy the look of a seat cowl. It cleans up the bike, especially with a naked look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk