Buying my boy a bike! What to get? Help!

I started out on a yz80j flog it, then put a race hit through it
rode it and caned it,

I'm sure Wolfmans son has been exposed to the rights and wrongs of bikes
and has got a better education than most Beginner riders have. but if its tame you need i have a honda ct200 in the shed needs tread and the starter looked at oh and a battery but you can have it wolfman

what year is that....and if it is the bike i think it is, the ag bike, it might be a bit tall at this point....

very generous offer, and i am sure if i did take it off your hands, i would have it all blinged up, and running real good, real quick...would just let the angry biker loose on it for a few days...

interested!

:thumbup:

no worries mate PM you with my details and as i said if you want it it's your has been in my shed for atlest 5 years and hasnt been used

Maybe a CRF150? I think they are the 4 stroke equivalent of the 2 stroke 80cc class (correct me if i'm wrong) As a bonus, he can then race it later on down the track if he's interested?

Maybe a CRF150? I think they are the 4 stroke equivalent of the 2 stroke 80cc class (correct me if i'm wrong) As a bonus, he can then race it later on down the track if he's interested?

this is true, however you can't race them with the 80cc class.... at least in the amateur ranks. They have more power than the yz80 etc... trail bike is best bet for first bike! Plus when he out grows it he can sell it for almost what he paid for it no so true for race bikes......

mmmmmm................................

What to do hey Wolfman.

You are probably leaning toward a 150/200cc 4 stroke which is sensible & no doubt your boy will love it. He is gonna love what ever you park in the garage really.

I wouldn't write off a 125cc 2 stroke. It might freak him out a little the first half a dozen times he rides it but once he gets used to taking off & clicking thru the gear box he will probably be fine.

I was tossed onto a CR250 when I was 12 for the simple reason it was my uncles bike. My folks couldn't afford to buy me a bike so I could ride my uncles bike or nothing.

That bike scared the crap outta me! It was a beast! Giving it too much throttle taking off & the bike would launch forward. Not enough throttle & it would stall. Once I learned to take off I was snapping through the gears cos the bike wanted to wheel stand in 1st, 2nd & 3rd if I gave it too much too soon.

My point is, a 125 stroker might put the fear of god into the kid for the 1st month but it will teach him so much about throttle control & what your brakes are for from the start.

Deck him out in all the gear you can find, body armour, boots, gloves, knee guards, elbow guards etc. Throw the kitchen sink at him. Kids already believe they are indestructible & when they are dressed to take on a freight train even more so.

I believe that it will teach him good habits & to respect the throttle from the beginning. Not only that it will save you $$$ in the future. Buy him a farm bike now & he will be jack of it in 6 months.

One more thing................. before im banned from all further discussions. Naturally the idea is to find an area the size of a footy field to start. Maybe ask an auto electrician if they can hook up a remote ignition switch? Something like the immobiliser on your car key? If he takes off & you think he is out of control you simply hit the button & cut the engine.

Good luck with it. He is gonna love it :thumbup:

Back