California Move

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
I am wondering what I should do here. I am about to move to California and I will be working in the Southern LA area and my new wife!:Flash: will be going to USC. Can anyone please help me on what areas to look at and possibly a place to live. We are hoping to find a 1+ bedroom apartment or house for in the range of $1000 in a nice neighborhood.
Thanks for any help
Aaron

jsalman93

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't live near USC, it's a pretty sketchy neighborhood.
I'm pretty sure you can find some nice places in the valley, like West hills, Topanga, Reseda, Balboa, and probably some parts of LA.) Those are a few places that I know of, but ull probably end up driving about 15-20 mins to USC.

Congrats on the move by the way, where are you moving from?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay well I don't know that area your moving to so hopefully you'll get good info and help from other members in that area but you are officially invited on a ride when you get settled in!:D

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I will be working on a job in Compton and will probably live near long beach. And moto, I will look you up when I get out there!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh boy....Compton:eek:

I grew up near Glendale, Ca which is about 20 min. from there. It's a well known gang area. Granted this was 18 years ago when I worked security at a coed apt. for USC students, but I did hear gun shots most nights. I'm not sure how it is now, might be better or worse.

Here's a short story...
My buddy and I run out of gas in my tacoma(compton) and coast down the off ramp right into a gas station(truck has 2 dirtbikes):rolleyes:

4x4 truck + 2 white guys + dirtbikes = SORE THUMB:eek:

Jim V

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in the area, where you want to live depends an awful lot on your budget. I assume you are interested in riding when you get here. Many good roads but my suggestion is that you try Angeles Crest Highway, it's 66 miles of motorcycling nirvana

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Find a place with a garage so your bike doesnt get messed with :). I used to live in long beach. Lot of bad areas but nice ones can be found :rockon:

jsalman93

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, long beach isn't the best area but it isn't as bad as compton. Depending on your budget, im sure you can find a decent area near LA that would be a lot safer without being as much. You said that your budget was 1000 for a 1 bedroom, you could absolutely find something in that price ranger closer to LAX or Hollywood, which would be by where you'd work and still be a much safer area. If you still live by there, i'd get a safe place to store your bike.

Angeles Crest is awesome, also be sure to check out mullholland and route 23 by malibu. If you want a riding buddy or need help with familiarizing yourself with the LA area you can always PM me.

jsalman93

Reaction score
Visit site
There are some decent areas in Long beach by the Racetrack and Metro Station, which are also near the beach, not sure on prices for apts over there though, but u can find one for a decent price

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the help! I actually ended up in South Pasadena! It's really nice and just over my price range, but for an extra bedroom (2) I can handle that. Now time for some Cali riding!