Cam Chain tensioning

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quickie, Is the cam chain tensioner automatic? or do you need to tension it yourself? My tapping noise is back with a vengence.

Last edited:
How do you know it's the cam chain ? I have a noise in my motor that suonds similar to what I think might be that. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't figure it out. It only rattles on the lower RPM wind down wether it is parked or moving. It sounds like marbles or a couple of nuts in a plastic jar rattling around. Sound similar to your noise ?

How do you know it's the cam chain ? I have a noise in my motor that suonds similar to what I think might be that. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't figure it out. It only rattles on the lower RPM wind down wether it is parked or moving. It sounds like marbles or a couple of nuts in a plastic jar rattling around. Sound similar to your noise ?
totally similar. I describe mine as a ticking. Dunno also has a similar problem. mine comes in at 2500rpm till 4700rpm.

Is your noise when you are reving the bike or after you let go of the throttle ? The noise i'm hearing is only audible when I let go of the throttle on the wind down.

Yes mate now you mention it it is more audible when im slowing down. WTF can that be?

I bought the bike at 3300 miles and it took about a hundred miles or so to tune my ears to the bikes sounds. I just turned over 5000mi and that is the only mechanically un-natural sound i hear. The bike came with a 90 day warranty so I brought it back to them a week after I heard that(could definetly be described as ticking). They had it for a couple of days, acknowleged the noise, couldn't figure out what it is and basically told me that until it causes performance problems, They won't do anything more.
Think I should buck up and get a loud aftermarket exhaust so I can't hear it anymore ? :rockon:

Same as mate, My noise comes and go. I reckon I will go up to jonacs house with a spanner one night. He has got great cans (pipes) lol. I saw a full lazer system for £299.00. Seems a good deal. Do you know if anyone actually males a slip on end can?

Last edited:
Thanks for the liks my friend. Unfortunately I wil be a way off of fitting another can. Our third bundle of joy is comming in 5 weeks. We got 3 under 3......:eek: So funds will be going to suport our local land fill site with organic matter and non biogradable nappies. I may just do what ausie jules did and drill the ends out.

Thanks for the liks my friend. Unfortunately I wil be a way off of fitting another can. Our third bundle of joy is comming in 5 weeks. We got 3 under 3......:eek: So funds will be going to suport our local land fill site with organic matter and non biogradable nappies. I may just do what ausie jules did and drill the ends out.
Cam tensioner runs off of oil pressure. Are you sure its not your clutch? When you pull the c lever in does it go away?

Cam tensioner runs off of oil pressure. Are you sure its not your clutch? When you pull the c lever in does it go away?
No mate defo not the clutch, I had a mechanic try to tell me this. Until I reproduced the noise at 2700 rpm. I hear where your coming from though.

Just found the cam chain (timing chain) tensioner. For my 2005 it's on the right side of the motor behind the frame and above the oil filler. Have to take it off the bike to test it. From what the book reads in a nutshell, if the rod inside dosen't move smoothly, it's defective. If anyone needs the details on exactly what to do P.M. me. I'll foward you the how-to. Just ordered the gasket and aluminum washer. The manual says to replace those two with new parts whenever you take it off.

I'll post another thread when the dealership comes up with my parts and I test the thing. Still waiting. . . .

Last edited:
I have a similiar sound, when the clutch is out (while I'm either riding or at a stop) I hear this "ticking sound." At a stop if I'm in neutral, have the clutch out, you can hear it get louder when you rev it. I asked a shop about it, and they said, "ah sounds like the cam tensioner" and said they'd have to take a look at the valves. I thought this was BS since I bought the bike brandnew (2006) and it only has 10,000. Long story short, I think it was just cheap gas, just like when you get that "pinging" in a car when you fuel up right after they top of the main storage tank (they use water to flush out the lines) you get cheap diluted gas. I fueled up at another station with some supreme, and no more problem. At least once a month it comes back, so I just run a tank of supreme through my bike and I'm good to go again.

Just found the cam chain (timing chain) tensioner. For my 2005 it's on the right side of the motor behind the frame and above the oil filler. Have to take it off the bike to test it. From what the book reads in a nutshell, if the rod inside dosen't move smoothly, it's defective. If anyone needs the details on exactly what to do P.M. me. I'll foward you the how-to. Just ordered the gasket and aluminum washer. The manual says to replace those two with new parts whenever you take it off.

I'll post another thread when the dealership comes up with my parts and I test the thing. Still waiting. . . .
Could you place a thread in the tech section as this could benifit others?

Cheers mate.

Same as mate, My noise comes and go. I reckon I will go up to jonacs house with a spanner one night. He has got great cans (pipes) lol. I saw a full lazer system for £299.00. Seems a good deal. Do you know if anyone actually males a slip on end can?

Beware I have a very scarey c o c ker spaniel that would lick you to death if you touched my Leo's ;)

edit... can't believe it wouldn't let me type c o c k lol :)

Timing chain tensioner check from Yamaha service manual

Order the new gasket and washer from your local dealer before you start. Tensioner case gasket for 2005 FZ6 #4FM-12213-00. Tensioner washer #5sL-12214-00-00. Click on pix at bottom to enlarge.

CHECKING THE TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER
1. Check:
timing chain tensioner
Cracks/damage Replace.
2. Check:
one-way cam operation
Rough movement then REPLACE the TIMING
CHAIN TENSIONER ASSEMBLY.
a. Lightly press the timing chain tensioner rod
into the timing chain tensioner housing by
hand.
NOTE:While pressing the timing chain tensioner rod,
wind it clockwise with a thin screwdriver 1 until
it stops.
b. Remove the screwdriver and slowly release
the timing chain tensioner rod.
c. Make sure that the timing chain tensioner rod
comes out of the timing chain tensioner
housing smoothly. If there is rough movement,
replace the timing chain tensioner.
3. Check:
cap bolt
aluminum washer (install with New)
gasket (install with New)
Damage/wear Replace the defective
part(s).

Install:
timing chain tensioner
a. While lightly pressing the timing chain tensioner
rod by hand, turn the tensioner rod fully
clockwise with a thin screwdriver 1 .
b. With the timing chain tensioner rod turned all
the way into the timing chain tensioner housing
(with the thin screwdriver still installed),
install the gasket and the timing chain tensioner
2 onto the cylinder block.
Always use a new gasket.
c. Tighten the timing chain tensioner bolts 3 to
the specified torque.
Timing chain tensioner bolt
12 Nm (1.2 mkg, 8.7 ftlb)
d. Remove the screwdriver, make sure that the
timing chain tensioner rod releases, and then
tighten the cap bolt to the specified torque.
Cap bolt
7 Nm (0.7 mkg, 5.1 ftlb)
------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
If I get a chance to pick up the new washer on tuesday, i'll try to git-R-done on wednesday. If not then definetly thurs (American Thanksgiving holiday so I have the day off). Doing a Complete front lighting mod too. (headlight, pod mod and LED flushies all at once. Gonna look nice.

Finally got a chance to pull the tensioner off to test it. It's working fine. Not the source of the tapping. Now i'm back to scratching my head.

Finally got a chance to pull the tensioner off to test it. It's working fine. Not the source of the tapping. Now i'm back to scratching my head.
Mate, I am gutted for us both, well for you mostly as you did all the work and had to cough up your hard earned dollars to replace a working part. Another frien of mine thinks it may be the noise of the fuel intectors. My noise is certainly louder when the tank is empty. I dont know if this is down to it just being able to resonate better?

Back