Can you carry a guitar on your FZ6?

FZ-Dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

I'm looking for some advice... Has anyone every carried a guitar on their bike please? How did you do it?

I need to take one with me on a road trip, but I still need to have room for a weeks worth of clothes too.

Any ideas?

Dave

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

I'm looking for some advice... Has anyone every carried a guitar on their bike please? How did you do it?

I need to take one with me on a road trip, but I still need to have room for a weeks worth of clothes too.

Any ideas?

Dave

Electric or acoustic? I have only carried my electric on my bike so far.

I put mine in a softcase and across my back like a messenger bag with the neck up, but that's for short trips around town. I don't know if I'd do that for longer trips or when I might have to ride in the rain, but if I was really in a bind I suppose I would try to carry it the same way. I can't think of another good way to carry a guitar on a bike.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take the strings off and stuff your clothes into the guitar. Providing it is an acustic.

Strap in on, preferrably in a cover.

When you get where you are going get the clothes out and re-string it.

Easy as pie.

Steve

moo cow

Reaction score
Visit site
i carry acoustics and electrics on my bike all the time (not at the same time). i use a soft gig bag with backpack straps. works great but b/c the neck sticks up over your helmet, the wind is constantly pulling you back. wouldn't want to go 300 miles with it on my back but short trips it's great. i once even used bicycle inner tubes to strap a strat in a hard case to my back (not advisable)!!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually carried my keyboard to a blues jam last summer. It was a Hammond organ simulator (Nord Electro) that comes with a cloth case with integral "backpack" straps (very convenient) but I had to use a table as a keyboard stand once I got there.
I will not attempt to carry a real Hammond. They weigh over 430 lbs! :rolleyes:

FZ-Dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone, am going to pop to the guitar shop tomorrow and pick up a soft case with straps... seems to be the best way.

I play an acoustic so putting some clothes in the guitar is a great idea!

Will be going about 150 miles on the first leg, 150 back home for a day for a proper nights sleep and to wash clothes, then 100 for the second leg.

Think a few practice runs around town to get a feel for wind pull from the neck will be a good idea.

Thanks again.

Dave

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks from here as well for this advice. I went searching for an answer to this dilemma and was immediately pointed to my home moto forum!

I have a nylon string I need to be carrying. It's small, but fairly fat. Currently have a (semi) hard case, which is bulky. I think I need to get a soft case for it. Also, I have a tail bag on the bike which I think has to come off so the guitar sits lower. For capacity, I would strap on the saddlebags instead.

p.

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
No problem as long as your keep it on a soft case and sling across your chest. I carry my tour tennis bag on the FZ6 all the time…. Probably not as wide but just as long as a guitar. I found out carrying a bag behind the back is pretty stable, not affected by wind at all. My guess it's because a bit of vacuum effect.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. The case is pretty small, it would project upward about a foot over my head. But a good two feet of it would be cantilevered above the shoulder strap, and therein lies the problem. I wish there was some way to strap it on horizontally alongside the bike. That would solve a multitude of problems.