Can't find the problem.

Meshuggah

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone and thank you for having me in the forum.

I hope before I'll take my bike to the local stealer to find a solution. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
I've got a FZ6 2005. Lately the bike wouldn't start randomly. Sometimes error 12 would pop up on the screen. Until last week when it didn't start at all. In all of this I've been always able to bump start it. even now that looks completely dead. so I:
Replaced the oil, cleaned the spark plugs, recharged the battery (now showing around 12.77 13+ if I turn the engine on (when I was able to. now it's totally dead)), checked the Crank position sensor with a multimeter (error 12 that's what the manual says) and it shows me 309 (should be between 248 372), I found the crank shaft breather tube detached from the air filter so I cleaned it up (there was a white foam in it). I removed my power commander but the bike still not starting.
When i start the bike from the starter button I can hear the click but then the engine light comes on and that's it. nothing else happens. In the diagnostic mode I get dg02 16 and 03 101. I know it should be 100 but does that only means that the bike is running a bit richer then it should?
I can't picture out what the hell is it wrong with it. Especially cause it did start again for 2 days and it died again today.
Two days later:
ok this is what happened today. I've run more checks while I wait for a new battery.
I charged the battery overnight.
the bike started. So I decide to see if there was a leak in the system and if something was draining power from it.
When I attached the multimeter (negative to negative and positive to negative lead) at first I got random reading until it stabilizes around 2.3 2.6. So I started taking out the fuses one by one until I found the culprit ( or I thought I did) : the back up fuse.
Problem is the back up fuse is supposed to connect only the odometer and the clock but if I remove and turn on the ignition key nothing happens. not injection, no screen, nothing except the neutral gear light on.
I tried to disconnect every cable I could see and take new readings but was the same (multimeter showing 2.3 2.6).
So I reconnected it and tried to start the bike. Nothing. Fuel pump works, everything works, click from the start button but the engine won't start. red light on dashboard.
So I did something I read somewhere, time ago. I put it in first gear, then release the clutch, move it back and forth and try a couple of times. Clutch on and bang... the Bike starts.
WTF is going on? I read this in a forum about the crank position system. But as I said before I've checked the sensor and is ok. Also there is no error 12 now.
In all this to recap: the battery shows 12.79 ignition off. 12.45 ignition on. 13.85 or a bit more (don't remember exactly right now) at 5000 rev. I'm lost.

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am sure you will get some good advice but if my bike was doing this it would be on the trailer on the way to the dealer :spank:

oh, and welcome to the forum!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Per the information you've given I would first try to establish whether the battery functions with a good depth of charge. You can find this out by having the battery charged and then load tested.

The leak test you're talking about sounds as if you're using the multimeter in the DC volts mode. You'll want to leak test with the meter in milliamps mode.

As always make sure you're battery contacts are good mechanically and electrically. Wear safety eye wear when working and please let us know if the new battery helps.

Last edited: