Chain and sprocket choice?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to see it. Maybe I've experienced it, just never noticed it or chalked it up to grim or some other foreign object.

Naw, you'd notice it (unfortunatly)..

Less than .25" but you can't miss it when lubing the chain... A big ole "rubber hair" sticking out from a link!!
And to remove it, you have to grab with a pliers.. I'll photograph the next one I find and post..

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
- Scotty, we need more lube to the Final Drive!
- But, Cap'Tn, IDdon't know ifshe can take muchmore!!!

Blah

It hasn't seen much over warp 5. The Warp drive is running at 100% :rockon:

I've used the same lube for other chains for literally decades (it was branded under Honda's name for many years). I used this lube as well on the worn, original O-ring chain, NEVER has any ring separation.. And some Warp 9 runs too!

I'm starting to suspect with the machnined "x" in each in ring, it looses some durability (thickness as well)...

Once I replace this chain, it'll definitly come apart and see what most of the "X"s look like..

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a shred on my current o ring DID. My normal routine through winter is to rinse the bike at the garage after my second day shift, then relube, then scrub the hell out of it after my second night shift, relube and put her to bed.

Unfortunately, before Christmas I finished on a day shift, had to rush home so it didn't get rinsed, then had to chuck it straight in the garage and was planning on scrubbing etc the next day. Unfortunately wifely perogatives got in the way and it sat for three days, soaked in salty road goo. Now I've got a stiff link, that takes extra scrubbing to losen up each week. Next payday is new tyre time, and the one after is now new chain and sprockets. It's only got ~12000 on it, I'm really anoyed.

petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
That makes sense with the salt and all, but being in SoCal I would think it'd have to be pretty dry like Townsend was talking about.

Maybe I've been lucky and/or super anal about chain maintenance. Plus I don't think I let it go 12k. I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks rather than risk something bad happening. Especially since it's my everyday ride.

crazydmc

Reaction score
Visit site
i got 45k miles on my original chain and sprockets, I thought that was pretty good so I replaced with OEM... I have 20k miles on the new set so far... no problems.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like a good set.

As a side note, I put the DID X chain on mine about 6,000 miles ago.. The bike doesn't see the rain (pleasure only) and the chain is always maintained/ lubed.

I found this X-ring chain starting to "shred" the rubber rings with small pieces poking out from inbetween the plates. Again, the chain IS MAINTAINED.

The next chain I put on will be an OEM, DID chain. I don't particularly want to loosen / move the swingarm but I won't buy another "X" chain. The OEM chain is known (with proper maintainance) to last quite awhile.. :thumbup:

Update 4-2-15;

While cleaning and lubing the chain this am, here are some pic's of the "X" rings shredding and coming out. Yes, the chain is dirty in the pic's, it isn't anymore...

Last edited:

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
That makes sense with the salt and all, but being in SoCal I would think it'd have to be pretty dry like Townsend was talking about.

Maybe I've been lucky and/or super anal about chain maintenance. Plus I don't think I let it go 12k. I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks rather than risk something bad happening. Especially since it's my everyday ride.

Dude, how's your bike? it's all fixed now? :) Yes, SoCal our chain is all dry but sometimes I got little excited and rode so fast so the chain gets worn quick too! LOL

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a new one on this week. Thought I'd try something a bit snazzy (forgive the lack of cleaning on the swingarm and hub, it got scrubbed today):

9ac99ccdd35877cafacc9372cc110aa4.jpg

petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, how's your bike? it's all fixed now? :) Yes, SoCal our chain is all dry but sometimes I got little excited and rode so fast so the chain gets worn quick too! LOL

Nah. It's done for. I am going to be parting it out. For a little work and a lot of time I can get a whole lot more money than people were low balling me for.

It'll be on the forums soon. Still healing.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Update 4-2-15;

While cleaning and lubing the chain this am, here are some pic's of the "X" rings shredding and coming out. Yes, the chain is dirty in the pic's, it isn't anymore...
I have exactly the same problem after almost two years and only about 10,000 kilometers. The sprockets look good so I plan on chain change only. Will be taking normal O-ring version.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem after almost two years and only about 10,000 kilometers. The sprockets look good so I plan on chain change only. Will be taking normal O-ring version.

Just to clarify, your chain, is doing the same thing is ALSO an "X" ring type chain (mines a DID?).

My sprockets look fine too, never saw an o-ring come out, seen links bind up, but NEVER the rubber come out...

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
DID 530 VX chain with JT sprockets. I bought a complete DID kit then. They said I needed a stronger chain for the bike's power but now I am not sure if a normal Oring wouldn't be enough.

But now I do not see if a 530 comes in Oring version. All I see are these stupid X...

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
DID 530 VX chain with JT sprockets. I bought a complete DID kit then. They said I needed a stronger chain for the bike's power but now I am not sure if a normal Oring wouldn't be enough.

But now I do not see if a 530 comes in Oring version. All I see are these stupid X...

Thanks, seems to be an issue with these chains...

BTW, I don't think the OEM chain is X-ring BUT is continuous (swing arm has to be loosened up to sneak the chain in-exhaust can stay in place).

I haven't seen / read anything on pre mature wear on the OEM chain with normal maintainance (certainly no shredding)

I suspect I'll go with that one (while my $100 DID chain riviter collects dust)..

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
The continuity is not a problem - the DID Xring in question I had was also connected at purchase and I had to remove the swingarm to put it on :)
I'll try to find the price for OEM chain and will decide on which type of chain do I want to ride.
Or maybe there was a manufacturer error and some chains came out with bad Xrings and we had the luck to buy them?

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
I read,I believe in Cycle World, that an O-ring chain absorbs more power than a X-ring.
Which means you have more power to put down on the pavement with a X-ring!
Greater friction with the O-ring is the cause.
Lube it or lose it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I read,I believe in Cycle World, that an O-ring chain absorbs more power than a X-ring.
Which means you have more power to put down on the pavement with a X-ring!
Greater friction with the O-ring is the cause.
Lube it or lose it.

Well, I've been riding for 41 years (and wrenching) and have never had a "X" or "O" ring chain shred its ring. Especially with only 6,000 miles on the chain..

I am extremly anal about lubing it (probably gets done evry 150 miles MAX (normally). I can easily document 200,000 miles from all my bikes (some shafties included) and have used pretty much the same lube. NONE, prior to this "X" chain have ever spit out an O-ring.. Lack of lube, in my case, was certainly NOT the issue...

I'll take an O-ring over an X ring if it means the chain will last longer than 6,000 miles...

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
So this is Your first time when You have a problem with Xring chain? If so maybe we might reconsider a second chance for this type of chain? Well, in my case this is my first Xring and first fail already ;)