Chain Bouncing after a 850 mile ride.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello guys,
We had a weekend trip to TOD over the weekend, which was 850 miles, before the trip started, I lubed the chain, and didn't lube it in the middle of my trip.

Now, I see the chain is bouncing, a bit. It was a bit bouncy, after lubing it, the bounciness reduced a bit, but it is still there.

1. I'm due rear tire, the PR4 went completely bald in the center.
2. Did it stretch over the ride?

Is that normal or needs to be taken care right away? I'm ordering the and will get it changed by the end of this week, hopefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x805dLT-nNg

Thanks.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would have lubed it at least once in your trip, that's moot now.

The chain and sprocket definitely need some CLEANING besides lube..

There shouldn't be any visible grit after servicing... I don't see any o-rings coming out so that's good...

**There's all kinds of grit stuck to the chain and rear sprocket( the fronts probably much worse)..

I'd clean all sprockets and chain until their spotless, then lube up. Then re-check tension and adjust
if necessary to 2" total at its tightest point.

Look for any kinking as the chain comes off the front sprocket too.

How many miles on the chain BTW?

Is it lubed regularly AND CLEANED when necessary?

Also, with the engine running, in gear in your video, a brand new chain is NOT going to pull nice and smooth..
You'll see some jerking there too.

When I'm done servicing my chain, say in 3rd or 4th gear with a light load on the throttle, the
BOTTOM RUN of the chain WILL "flow" nice and smooth, almost like water. You can peek down while
underway and see.

When I notice its not, time to lube.

*I use a Grunge brush and Motul chain cleaner which works extremely well for cleaning. The bike
rarely see's the rain so I might use the Motul 2-4 times a year. You rinse it all off with water and
everything is literally spotless from grit.. Dry and re-lube..

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I would have lubed it at least once in your trip, that's moot now.

The chain and sprocket definitely need some CLEANING besides lube..

There shouldn't be any visible grit after servicing... I don't see any o-rings coming out so that's good...

**There's all kinds of grit stuck to the chain and rear sprocket( the fronts probably much worse)..

I'd clean all sprockets and chain until their spotless, then lube up. Then re-check tension and adjust
if necessary to 2" total at its tightest point.

Look for any kinking as the chain comes off the front sprocket too.

How many miles on the chain BTW?

Is it lubed regularly AND CLEANED when necessary?

Also, with the engine running, in gear in your video, a brand new chain is NOT going to pull nice and smooth..
You'll see some jerking there too.

When I'm done servicing my chain, say in 3rd or 4th gear with a light load on the throttle, the
BOTTOM RUN of the chain WILL "flow" nice and smooth, almost like water. You can peek down while
underway and see.

When I notice its not, time to lube.

*I use a Grunge brush and Motul chain cleaner which works extremely well for cleaning. The bike
rarely see's the rain so I might use the Motul 2-4 times a year. You rinse it all off with water and
everything is literally spotless from grit.. Dry and re-lube..

Thanks Scott,
1. I hadn't washed the bike in over 1000 miles (3 weekends by today).
2. I usually wash every weekend, or every other, and warm the chain by going for a ride and lube the chain after each wash and even if I don't wash, I lube it every ~400 miles, definitely.
3. I got the bike at 3200 miles, in March 2015, today it is 16602 on the clock.

I will get the chain adjusted when I have the tire change in the coming week, but tomorrow evening, I'll remove the sprocket cover and clean all the dirt from the front socket, lube it, same with the chain and the rear sprocket.

BTW, the lube I use is Dupont Chain Saver, it is Teflon style and doesn't attract dirt.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3G6FD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used 2X11OZ cans for the previous 12k miles. So, I ordered the bigger can this time.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, all that grit on the chain is like sand paper, it just causes extra wear.

With the low mileage on the chain and with you keeping it lubed it should be ok,

Just a super good cleaning and re-lube real well..

And double check the chain tension AFTER it leaves the shop.

You probably already know, the chain on the FZ is set pretty loose compared to other bikes.

If you need the owners manual to check how to adjust, PM me and I'll send you a PDF of it..

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, all that grit on the chain is like sand paper, it just causes extra wear.

With the low mileage on the chain and with you keeping it lubed it should be ok,

Just a super good cleaning and re-lube real well..

And double check the chain tension AFTER it leaves the shop.

You probably already know, the chain on the FZ is set pretty loose compared to other bikes.

If you need the owners manual to check how to adjust, PM me and I'll send you a PDF of it..

Thanks Scott, you already emailed me the manual earlier.
Yes, I'll check it once they mount the new tire.
Tomorrow evening I'll do the 'good clean' and lube..!

linus

Reaction score
Visit site
Since you discussing chains...

I noticed a fine grit after replacing tires and adjusting chain tension on my 07 FZ6 (this weekend too). We were wondering what it could be. First thoughts were to check tire rub, nope. Could not figure it out. Obviously something was been ground down to produce the fine grit.

Came home after a 800 mile ride and started to troubleshoot. I think the chain maybe too tight and is rubbing against the rubber rest. At rest the chain sits on the rubber piece and there seems to be very little play. I will have to find the correct way to adjust the chain tension next as the shop had adjusted it after chaging out the tires.

Any other thoughts.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since you discussing chains...

I noticed a fine grit after replacing tires and adjusting chain tension on my 07 FZ6 (this weekend too). We were wondering what it could be. First thoughts were to check tire rub, nope. Could not figure it out. Obviously something was been ground down to produce the fine grit.

Came home after a 800 mile ride and started to troubleshoot. I think the chain maybe too tight and is rubbing against the rubber rest. At rest the chain sits on the rubber piece and there seems to be very little play. I will have to find the correct way to adjust the chain tension next as the shop had adjusted it after chaging out the tires.

Any other thoughts.

A new chain has a heavy grease on it that WILL collect road dust. It'll go away eventually with cleaning and re-lubing.

To check the tension, put the bike on the center stand. Watch the bottom run with a ruler behind it (at about where the
lower black chain guard ends under the swing arm). Find the tightest spot on the chain..

Now, focus on a chain pin and push it down, with some force,(not alot) and center your ruler on the pin.

Next, push that pin upwards (same force) and measure how far it goes. 2" or 50mm's UP and down TOTAL, is what your looking for.

The chain should be clean and lubed for an accurate reading..

Adjust as need be.

Note, most new chains (adjusted initially correctly) WILL stretch as it breaks in requiring
usually one adjustment, maybe two tops. After that, if maintained, you likely won't be adjusting it
anymore unless its a cheap chain/abused, etc..

And check your chain adjustment AFTER it leaves the shop. Print out the adjustment spec's
for the mechanic if you won't adjust it as the FZ's chain is MUCH looser than most bikes...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Chain bounce.... can you video it in use?
Without a load it can and does go through some motion as the wheel assembly is like a flywheel and the engine all geared down, any variations in rpm will load and unload the chain making it hop.

If you don't hear it make noise it is likely fine although I wouldnt run 8xx miles w/out lube if you can help it!

Grit:
What color was it? Was it a rust colored red?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Chain bounce.... can you video it in use?
Without a load it can and does go through some motion as the wheel assembly is like a flywheel and the engine all geared down, any variations in rpm will load and unload the chain making it hop.

If you don't hear it make noise it is likely fine although I wouldnt run 8xx miles w/out lube if you can help it!

Grit:
What color was it? Was it a rust colored red?

Raja's first post has a link / video of the chain,(Raja's) engine in gear, on the CC, idling in gear...

Linus's thread is a different issue (grit) on the same thread which will get mixed up, no doubt..

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Intent is the correct. Show a video of it in use on the bike moving down the road vs unloaded (video above).

Grit - red rust could be "grit"... if it red, its more like something is loose or the chain is neglicted!

But we need to hear from 2nd OP.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Linus's thread is a different issue (grit) on the same thread which will get mixed up, no doubt..

Yes, Linus's grit color is red. I observed after his new tire change. He did not change his chain.

I just read the manual and it says 8k miles for spark plugs and I'm on 16k, with the stock ones.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Apologies for hijacking some of this thread.

Yes the grit was red. Damn yall are good! :rockon:

Either your chain is super dry or remove the front cover and make sure the nut securing the sprocket is tight... post a pic if possible...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The chain slack was set at 1". I reset it to 2".

The bolt was tight.

Pics included.
View attachment 66801
View attachment 66802

Good thing you loosened it up, but,
that chain needs some cleaning and BUNCH OF LUBE!.

Has it ever been lubricated???

All the red dust is the internals of your chain going away.

Wouldn't surprise me if you need a new chain, I've NEVER SEEN one that DRY..

Those pic's are that of chain ready to let loose and go thru the engine case, seriously...

linus

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh boy! :(

Do you think this could have been caused by the tight 1" chain tension?

I lube the chain once every 1000 miles or sooner if I see the chain requiring it. I purchased the bike with 2500 miles in Jan 2016. The bike probably sat for a long while between rides. I now have 8500 miles on the bike.

Any recommendations on chains please. I see a bunch on Amazon but not sure which one to choose. Good Better Best, I tend to choose from the better Best category.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh boy! :(

Do you think this could have been caused by the tight 1" chain tension?

I lube the chain once every 1000 miles or sooner if I see the chain requiring it. I purchased the bike with 2500 miles in Jan 2016. The bike probably sat for a long while between rides. I now have 8500 miles on the bike.

The owners manual calls for every 500 miles or when run in the rain to re-lube.

The 1" adjustment on the chain, even if lubed, will cause much un-due wear by itself.
This causes more wear and tear on the chain, engine output bearings, chain, etc. The
chain is literally binding up hampering full movement of the rear suspension.

Lack of lube / servicing is a big chain killer.

Besides now having a worn out chain, the condition of that chain is, IMO, dangerous.
If it lets go, (as posted earlier), it can go thru the engine, lock up your back wheel, etc...

Please read the owners manual, for keeping an eye on the BASIC stuff.

I have the manual if you need one. The adjustment / maintenance, etc is all in there..

Note: I lube mine no less than every 200 miles.

The PO lubed the original chain ONCE in 4,000 miles.
Once I got it, it got serviced but was toast at 12,000 miles and got replaced..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch!!!! Dry dry dry is the theme there. Cut back to 400miles max. I have yet to find a product that really lasts 500 mi let alone 1000!!!!

Your chain condition is robbing you of 10hp!!!! The tell tale sign is the red haze on everything!!!!

For now soak that thing with real petroleum lubricants!!!! Go for a short ride and soak it again!!!! Do it till it flies off making huge mess and you curse us for asking you to post that picture!!! Blah

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch!!!! Dry dry dry is the theme there. Cut back to 400miles max. I have yet to find a product that really lasts 500 mi let alone 1000!!!!

Your chain condition is robbing you of 10hp!!!! The tell tale sign is the red haze on everything!!!!

For now soak that thing with real petroleum lubricants!!!! Go for a short ride and soak it again!!!! Do it till it flies off making huge mess and you curse us for asking you to post that picture!!! Blah

One pic is worth a thousand words!!!

linus

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for requesting that pic :bow: Might could have saved my life.

So when you mention real petroleum ??? Sorry real newb here, but catching on fast. :eek:

I'm thinking replace the chain just to be safe. Don't want to save a few bucks and have a bigger issue down the road.

I'll be in Fort Meyers next week. Wanna grab a brew?