Chain jumping when bike on center stand

GraveGrass

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new rider with a 2008 FZ6. Last time I was cleaning my chain, I realized that when I put the bike on its center stand and let it run in any gear except neutral, the chain bounces vertically up and down. Is this normal? I checked the slack specs and they check out as stated per manual.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, normal for it to jump a bit. The slack on the FZ6 when set to spec is fairly large with no weight on the bike. With a rider on some of that slack tightens up and there should be no chain bounce.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A rough or unsteady idle will accentuate the bounce. The wheel is like a flywheel and wants steady input. If the engine wavers at all the chain shows it!

Be careful doing this btw....

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new rider with a 2008 FZ6. Last time I was cleaning my chain, I realized that when I put the bike on its center stand and let it run in any gear except neutral, the chain bounces vertically up and down. Is this normal? I checked the slack specs and they check out as stated per manual.

Please don't run your bike to clean the chain. Missing fingers will make clutching/braking much more difficult.

Spinning the wheel with your hand with the bike in neutral works just fine.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site

Check if your chain has any frozen/tight links.In neutral engine off slowly rotate wheel backwards. A tight link will still be in the arc of the sprocket instead of being straight. Usually this means the chain is damaged due to wear or previous lack of proper lubrication. If lubing doesn't help chain should be replaced and maybe sprockets too

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also some chains will wear unevenly so when you check your slack rotate the chain to different position and check to see that it is in spec at the different positions.
You can make a mistake even rotating the chain by hand and catch a finger. Be conscious!