Chain tension

ride_free_or_die

Reaction score
www.greenenergymech.com
I just bought my FZ6 about a week ago and Im having a blast!

When I was leaving from the seller's house, he told me that I may need to adjust the tension of the chain. How do you know if it is too loose? Also, is it something that I can do myself or should I just take it to the shop?

Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought my FZ6 about a week ago and Im having a blast!

When I was leaving from the seller's house, he told me that I may need to adjust the tension of the chain. How do you know if it is too loose? Also, is it something that I can do myself or should I just take it to the shop?

Thanks

Read the below thread (posts 5 and 8 specifically):

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/48570-rear-brake-rub-question.html

It explains it pretty much in detail. Search is your friend!:thumbup:

You can do it yourself with basic tools. Most shops tend to tighten the chain on the FZ6 too tight. I would strongly recommend you clean and lube the chain, then adjust it yourself. Its also in your owners manual.

And welcome! :welcome:

Last edited:

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to TownsendsFJR1300. Remember to follow factory specs. The idea is that the chain should have a little bit of free play when it is tightest -- when the swingarm is fully extended (roughly). On the center stand you may have 2", but when the swingarm is inline with the sprocket and axle, the chain will have very little.

Some bikes have a lot of suspension travel and will often have "loose" chains when they are not weighted. Take a look at a dirt bike next time you see it (well, a dirt bike with the chain adjusted correctly :))

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:
+1 on the above two replies. Welcome to the best forum on the planet for owners of the best all-around bike on the planet. Happy trails!