chain timing ticking

Thanks for a quick answer, the chain slack is 5cm which is about 2inch, I will have a look at the front sprocket tomorrow and I'll try to take some pictures of front and rear sprocket,so maybe you or anyone could tell me if it's the time for a change,as it looks good for me but I don't know how should the new one look or the worn one,so I may be completely wrong!

Put it on the center stand and rotate the rear wheel. I had a clicking/clacking noise from the rear wheel last summer. Turned out to be a bad bearing plus a chain which needed lubing. The bearing was the one inside the rear sprocket hub. I removed the rear wheel and then took the sprocket off the wheel. Rotating it with my fingers thru the bearing and then rotating it I could hear the clicking noise. Replaced the bearing and all is well.

So driven it today again. The sound only comes when accelerating and increases with the speed going up,looks like something rotating as the speed comes up the sound comes more often if you know what I mean. If accelerating very soft there's no sound,also when keeping the same speed high or low it doesn't sound.
ezy8apab.jpg

u2e2evep.jpg

e9y8yheg.jpg

That's the rear sprocket if you can see anything :) and I know the bike needs cleaning services badly :) the chain itself is gold in colour.

Between the dirt on the bike and the shiney speckles on the chain, I can't give you a good answer. The shiny speckles look like metal particles from something (metal against metal) rubbing.

Your further description re-inforces the chain/sprockets as being the culprit. From what I can see (the pictures aren't clear), the rear sprocket teeth look pretty thin (worn out). The front sprocket will be worse.

Can you please clean the chain and sprockets with WD 40, chain cleaner specific spray/kerosene.

The chain should be lubed, (per the owners manual) after riding in the rain and from what I can see, it hasn't seen much, if any maintainance lately.

Did you look for any kinks in the chain while rotating on the centerstand

Please post some cleared pictures after the chains been cleaned and note any kinks found in the chain. That will answer your question rear quick...

Also, as posted above, the sprocket hub bearing can fail and make noise however, I'd address that chain ASAP before you throw it thru the engine cases....

Below are pictures of my stock rear sprocket and chain:

Last edited:
I think the previous owner wasn't doing any maintenance works on it at all,as I have it for only month and a half and didn't had a chance to do a lot on it as I don't have a garage and it's raining almost everyday in UK as it is winter now..the first thing I did was flushed the cooling system and changed to the new cooling liquid as the one was all ready like a jelly, and cleaned the chain and adjusted it to specs as it was 3inch slack. The guy had done the service in a garage before selling it so I wasn't expecting anything bad about it as most thing should be looked at,but it wasn't. I have seen some metal bits on the frame this morning before leaving to work, I will clean it after work today and retake the pictures,as well as order a new kit and get to to the garage to change it when I will receive it.

Hope you can see it better now, it was so much dirt behind the front sprocket cover that I couldn't believe it. I couldn't see anything touching the the chain or anything damaged, also I couldn't get that notice wile doing everything I could with my hands..as I don't have a chance to take the rear wheel at the moment so couldn't take the rear sprocket out, I did order chain and sprocket kit 99£ , and I may as well get the bearing replaced at the same time,and the nut holding the front sprocket seems a bit damage from something if you can see it,may order that one new as well then.
View attachment 46219View attachment 46220View attachment 46221View attachment 46222

Put it on the center stand and rotate the rear wheel. I had a clicking/clacking noise from the rear wheel last summer. Turned out to be a bad bearing plus a chain which needed lubing. The bearing was the one inside the rear sprocket hub. I removed the rear wheel and then took the sprocket off the wheel. Rotating it with my fingers thru the bearing and then rotating it I could hear the clicking noise. Replaced the bearing and all is well.

As well is it called Sprocket Carrier bearing? I will order one just to change anyways with new sprockets and chain

They do go bad but would not replace without checking to verify it is bad. The bearing is sealed so should last a long time. When you take the wheel off there is a needle bearing in the wheel, clean and re-pack with good grease. There are three bearings in the rear wheel, the Sprocket Carrier Bearing, the needle bearing and a sealed bearing on the other side of the wheel (rider's right). That bearing is the same part number as the Sprocket Carrier Bearing if my memory is correct.

Thanks for the better pictures.

I suspect with 3" of play in the chain initially, the metal is from the chain slapping against the aluminum frame (above and below the swingarm). You can look at that and see if it looks hacked up.

There should also be a plastic piece that goes over the front end of the swingarm that protects it from the chain. Make sure its there.. It protects the top and bottom of the swingarm.

That is a Yamaha front sprocket but the teeth on both sprockets look very worn.

If you have a chain/sprocket kit coming, that'll take care of the issue. The Yamaha manual calls for a NEW RETAINING PLATE that goes under the sprocket nut, I would replace it as yours as seen better days and obviously has already been re-used.

The sprocket bearing PhotoAl speakes about is inside the rear sprocket carrier. The carrier has to come off when you do the sprocket change anyways. It just pushes outward. There is a seal, outside of that.

*Just a side note, when I changed out my front sprocket, I'd suggest (for both on and off) have the wheel/chain/spockets assembled. Keep the transmission in neutral. Get a piece of steel pipe and lock up the rear wheel running the pipe thru the wheel either above or below the swingarm (you can pad wherever it touches so you don't damage the paint). That will lock up the front sprocket when you torque it down without putting any undue stress on the transmission... An air gun for REMOVING the front nut (in neutral) won't hurt anything either..

:thumbup:

Thanks for the better pictures.

I suspect with 3" of play in the chain initially, the metal is from the chain slapping against the aluminum frame (above and below the swingarm). You can look at that and see if it looks hacked up.

There should also be a plastic piece that goes over the front end of the swingarm that protects it from the chain. Make sure its there.. It protects the top and bottom of the swingarm.

That is a Yamaha front sprocket but the teeth on both sprockets look very worn.

If you have a chain/sprocket kit coming, that'll take care of the issue. The Yamaha manual calls for a NEW RETAINING PLATE that goes under the sprocket nut, I would replace it as yours as seen better days and obviously has already been re-used.

The sprocket bearing PhotoAl speakes about is inside the rear sprocket carrier. The carrier has to come off when you do the sprocket change anyways. It just pushes outward. There is a seal, outside of that.

*Just a side note, when I changed out my front sprocket, I'd suggest (for both on and off) have the wheel/chain/spockets assembled. Keep the transmission in neutral. Get a piece of steel pipe and lock up the rear wheel running the pipe thru the wheel either above or below the swingarm (you can pad wherever it touches so you don't damage the paint). That will lock up the front sprocket when you torque it down without putting any undue stress on the transmission... An air gun for REMOVING the front nut (in neutral) won't hurt anything either..

:thumbup:

Thanks for all the help, I do have the kit coming in by 11th,also I ordered a new retaining plate as well as new sprocket carrier bearing, I do have a feeling that it is the bearing that failed. I have searched the net and found that with them failing people having very similar problems as I did. Because yesterday I had even worse noises coming out,I thought I had a puncture in my tyre as it sounded very similar.For a couple of times I even got a sound like you drive on a rock and its shoots out,and then it came back to the same taping sound, I will try to take the wheel off later today and see is there any damage in bearings as I'm scared to drive now:)

So I have taken the wheel off today, everything looks perfect,doesn't make any noises while rotating bearings around the fingers,no metal bits or anything as well,everything moves very freely with no problems. After I put the bike back together,popped in to the garage to see what they think,the guy said as it is most likely the wear of chain and sprockets,also said that I shouldn't be worried of driving it for some time till the new set will come in (should get them tomorrow or Friday).

He also checked the rear wheel if its wheel bearing making the noise which was not and is all good.

At the same time while I was taking the wheel off I did installed new hid bixenon light,which is great but very tricky to hide the parts as my bike is naked :) at least something good!

Back