Check engine light, diagnostic code 46

turbodan

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought this bike yesterday to replace one I parted ways with several years ago. While riding it home I had the CEL flashing while riding over rough pavement. Engine would cut out briefly and pick back up. I figured this was a wiring issue so I started looking around. The code stored was #46, irregular voltage supply or something along those lines.

While troubleshooting this at one point the bike shut down and would not restart, then while trying to restart the starter relay stuck and despite hitting the kill switch and removing the ignition key it continued to crank. I had some tools nearby so I was able to lift the tank and remove a cable from the battery before the starter burned up. No harm done I hope, though I do have a spare starter still from the last time I owned one of these.

As it turns out the problem was a loose fit in the four pin connector that plugs into the starter relay. I think the previous owner installed a piece of garbage aftermarket relay, perhaps a $7 ebay item, and the spade pins on it are thinner than the original part. Either that or somebody stuck a screwdriver in there and sabotaged it for me. For now I was able to pinch the female terminals in the connector down to get a better bite and the bike is running properly again. I have a new Yamaha relay on the way, especially in light of the starter getting stuck on the way it did. If I didn't have tools on hand that would have been much worse.

That whole thing was strange enough I had to post it. From what research I did it seems that code 46 is usually caused by a weak battery. The service manual recommends to also check the pins at the EFI/ignition module. It also says this code can be caused by an open in the wiring and that's pretty much what I had. Thanks to the previous owner for being a cheap hack.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that's a first for the starter relay sticking like that (posted here).
Great/ good thinking on your part!

Might want to do a good all day, close up inspection of the entire bike.
I bought mine used but I knew the owner and history..

Congrates on the new ride, maybe post a pic or two once assembled/ cleaned up too.

turbodan

Reaction score
Visit site
I was surprised when the starter took off like that. This is the first electric start bike I've had in years and look what happens.

I went through it pretty well as soon as I got it home, the seller said it had been sitting quite a while. Last registered in 09. It got fresh oil and coolant and a good examination under the tank. The more I looked the more hackery I found. Airbox was just sitting on the throttle bodies, battery cables were improperly installed. I even had to repair the threads where the tank bolts to the frame. Would have preferred he just leave the bolts out rather than cross thread one in like that. Fortunately it's only got 5000 miles on it so it hasn't been too thoroughly molested.

On the to do list are fork seals, brake fluid front and rear and new tires. Still has the original Dunlop 252's. They probably weren't that good a tire when they were brand new. 16 years later, yikes.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you have a great plan going forward. S1 or S2 model?

Might wanna peek in the fuel tank for rust. If it sat for awhile, W/O a full tank, it may be rusty inside and the fuel pump filter can clog up.

Also a throttle body sync will likely be in order. Helps with the performance and lessens the vib's to the seat/handlebars.

turbodan

Reaction score
Visit site
This is an 06, digital tach. S1 I presume. The tank looks good through the filler flap. With the relatively dry climate out here we get away with stuff we probably shouldn't sometimes.

I will probably sync the throttle bodies one of these days. All my other bikes are two stroke singles. Not a balancer in the bunch. Compared to what I'm used to this thing is a sewing machine. My last FZ6 was also a CA version, this one is the 49 state model. Seems to run better right off the bat. Smoother throttle response, less surging and snatching at low throttle. The computer is a different part number between them and I wonder if the mapping is different.