Chillin' at the USO

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well my flight is delayed by 4 hours and I've got time to kill at the San Jose airport. Foretunately there is a USO (United Services Organization) here. They have a nice double wide trailer (no it's not bad) with TV, free sodas, coffee, snacks, books, magazines and free WiFi.

The USO is a not for profit private organization that is staffed by volunteers, most are Vets and their wives. They have been in existance for about 67 years and do all kinds of great things for US Service Members including; celebrity entertainment tours, calling cards, sundry packages for deploying troops, care packages, welcome home receptions and USO centers in the US and overseas.

In Iraq I saw Toby Keith, the WWF and several smaller but very good bands. One group was playing when a huge sand storm hit and they didn't miss a beat. That is hard corps!

Now the WWF got mortored and the big wrestlers looked like crying babies after the attack, the GIs busted up laughing!

They are not in all airports have a USO, most large one do, or those near military bases. They are a great place to get away from the open airport, get a snack and chill.

The USO relies on donations. If you like to do something for the US Service Member a donation to the USO really helps out.

https://www.uso.org/donate/custom.aspx?id=641&CMP=KNC-WS8Yuso&HBX_OU=51&HBX_PK=uso

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah - I remember the USO's in Turkey & Japan when I was in the A.F.
Didn't have any name draws in Turkey tho'!:(
But it was somewhere to go.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
The best USO I've been to was Ontario airport. My deployments are to ****hole places in Africa and once to Antarctica, so we're kinda off the radar when it comes to USO shows. You're a hero if you perform for troops in Iraq, but you're an idiot if you waste your time going to Somalia.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The best USO I've been to was Ontario airport. My deployments are to ****hole places in Africa and once to Antarctica, so we're kinda off the radar when it comes to USO shows. You're a hero if you perform for troops in Iraq, but you're an idiot if you waste your time going to Somalia.

I wonder if they chose where they go or if its like the military, you sign up and they tell you where to go?

The penguins may have liked the show.

Africa is the *ss, well at least where we go, Kenya, South Africa and other places are beautiful.

A friend of mine is the BATT and HIDE guru and he's been ALL over teaching TTPs for the decives. Iraq, then the Stan, next Africa. He seems to love crappy places however.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if they chose where they go or if its like the military, you sign up and they tell you where to go?

The penguins may have liked the show.

Africa is the *ss, well at least where we go, Kenya, South Africa and other places are beautiful.

A friend of mine is the BATT and HIDE guru and he's been ALL over teaching TTPs for the decives. Iraq, then the Stan, next Africa. He seems to love crappy places however.

I dunno how they work it. I know that a lot of places in Africa are just little dirt strips where they fly in and fly out again. The base we stay at is small, less than 3000 permanent personnel I believe, so they probably get more of an impact on moral by going to bigger bases up in the sandbox.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dunno how they work it. I know that a lot of places in Africa are just little dirt strips where they fly in and fly out again. The base we stay at is small, less than 3000 permanent personnel I believe, so they probably get more of an impact on moral by going to bigger bases up in the sandbox.

That is for sure. The kids in the COPS and the JSS' would get buggy from being the same small place all the time.

Another friend of mine was with 10th MTN in Somolia way back and hated it. I asked him to go with me to Iraq and he said, "Nope, been to one *ss place not going back to another." He didn't miss anything.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
That is for sure. The kids in the COPS and the JSS' would get buggy from being the same small place all the time.

Another friend of mine was with 10th MTN in Somolia way back and hated it. I asked him to go with me to Iraq and he said, "Nope, been to one *ss place not going back to another." He didn't miss anything.

Some may disagree, but I'd rather go to Iraq or the 'stan over Africa. Of course I'm Air Force and you're Army so I'm sure what we see and do are completely different. Africa is boring for us whereas I'm sure you were kept pretty busy over there.

Welcome to California, BTW :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some may disagree, but I'd rather go to Iraq or the 'stan over Africa. Of course I'm Air Force and you're Army so I'm sure what we see and do are completely different. Africa is boring for us whereas I'm sure you were kept pretty busy over there.

Welcome to California, BTW :)

Thanks man. I've been traveling to CA since I was a kid. I'm usually in San Jose once a month when business is good. Now its once a quarter. I've been flying the "Nerd Bird" (Austin to San Jose American Airlines flight) for the past 13 years.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
So you realize that I'm sitting about 6 miles from you right up highway 101?

The theme song "It's a Small World" just started playing in my head. Why weren't you thrown on a C-17 or something for the ride home?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So you realize that I'm sitting about 6 miles from you right up highway 101?

The theme song "It's a Small World" just started playing in my head. Why weren't you thrown on a C-17 or something for the ride home?

Too funny! It is indeed a small world. I'm traveling for my civilian job today.

Next time in town we'll have to get together with CHEMIKER. I think I'll be back in late SEP or OCT. Depends on how our quarter goes.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
Too funny! It is indeed a small world. I'm traveling for my civilian job today.

Next time in town we'll have to get together with CHEMIKER. I think I'll be back in late SEP or OCT. Depends on how our quarter goes.

Definitely. I see FZ's around all the time, but usually only in passing on the freeway. Too bad you won't have your bike though.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely. I see FZ's around all the time, but usually only in passing on the freeway. Too bad you won't have your bike though.

Maybe if gas is a $1.00 a gallon I'll haul it out next time! It's only 1,700 miles or so!

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wasn't Bob Hope and a few other croonies big supporters of the USO, I believe Miss Monroe also donated some time to cheer up the boys during the war. Do current celebs and such still participate??

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The USO has kept me from going crazy at very long layovers quite a few times. :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wasn't Bob Hope and a few other croonies big supporters of the USO, I believe Miss Monroe also donated some time to cheer up the boys during the war. Do current celebs and such still participate??

That's right. There are a lot of celebs who participate. I think Robin Williams did a tour this last year.

I finally got home a 3:15...