Cleaning the rear wheel

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I use WD40 on my wheel, but only sparingly on my chain, prefer kero for that.
If your getting a lot of fling the best advice I can give is be a bit more careful lubing your chain, your obviously putting too much on, or the lube you are using isn't good. Cheaper lubes tend to fling far more easily.
Should be going for a ride so the chain is warm, cleaning it, then relubing it so it soaks in. I normally let it sit for a while unless I've really overdone it, in which case I clean off the excess.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You forgot to mention the GYTR +2 520 rear sprocket, which i just loooove in gold!! :D:D

And as for the polished rims...love em, but by god, they are a lot of work to maintain to a decent standard!

:thumbup:

Oh yeah! I wouldn't know where to start and stop as far as the work you've put into that beauty!
Other than that guy that did that whole turbo deal on the FZ yours is the most modded I can think off! Crikey! :rockon:

clrd_2_lnd

Reaction score
Visit site
Fine rubbing compound the green one of you use turtle wax takes everything off and a coat of pollish after to protect easy to clean wheels when I wash the bike after doing this to the wheels and shine up so nice!

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I use kerosene to clean my wheels. I use it to do the chain and use some of the left over to get the wheels while i'm at it.

Exactly. Yamaha recommended, and FizzySix approved. ;)

WD-40 is a great product for so many things (except chain lube), and contains solvents similar to kero. However, it is designed to leave behind a light coating of mineral oil. This protects against corrosion, but I have to imagine (pure speculation here) that dirt/grime will stick to it. And who wants to be spraying something containing oil so close to the tire?

The car-wax idea is an interesting one. Makes sense, in that the same principle applies to re-waxing antique furniture: the solvents in the new wax help dissolve the old.

+1 to the comments regarding considering a new chain lube. I know you love the one you use, but: your time is too valuable to spend cleaning wax the chain apparently didn't need from parts where you didn't intend it to go.

You could have spent the time riding! :thumbup:

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didnt read this entire thread, but this is one reason why I love the FZ6, pop the bike on the center stand if your like me and its cake.

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
about the chain lube

For those who suggested changing the chain lube, I just want to clarify that what I’ve been using is PJ Blue Label Chain Lube that I mostly apply when I get home after the ride & the chain is warm (as recommended), after I wash the bike, or after I clean the chain.

I also wipe out the excess from the chain when is still wet (the product is hardening after a while, I guess that has something with the “memory”)

The think is not flying excessively to the rear wheel, but since it took me an hour to clean the rear wheel I don’t do it very often, but now I learned that I can do it fast with WD-40 or Auto Polish, so it should get much easier – that was the purpose of this post.

Check this out for more details about cleaning the chain with kerosene & about the PJ1 Blue Label:

How to Lube Your Motorcycle Chain

Last edited:

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didnt read this entire thread, but this is one reason why I love the FZ6, pop the bike on the center stand if your like me and its cake.

yea but the fz6 looks MUCH better without the centerstand, besides, pop it up on the paddock stand and its just as easy.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
yea but the fz6 looks MUCH better without the centerstand, besides, pop it up on the paddock stand and its just as easy.

Yeah it might look just a little better without but I wouldn't give up the convenience of it for just a little looks I love it! Its like the Mach 5 with its built in jack .. :D

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Buy a galon of Kerosene, I have mine since almost 3 years ago and is only half way down, I kean my chain with a tooth brush, and the spills on the wheel are good enough to remove the dirt acomulated on the wheel, then I just rinse it with water and dry it with a 15 minutes ride, then just make sure you lub your chain.

Cheapest and easyest way

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I just wipe it down after every ride or so with Armor All premoistened wipes. Cleans off the rim and keeps them shiney clean!

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
WD40, Goo-Gone, hot soapy water, whatever works for everyone,
just please DO NOT have the bike running, I am sick of seeing
mangled fingers on these sites. I know most FZ forum riders are probably
familiar with this but if you are saying to yourself (huh?) Then please think about it, search it, look at you fingers and ask yourself if you need them all, or do you have too many?:D

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. I thought so too, until I then thought that I actually use WD-40 as Traction Compound for my Remote Control racing cars. Hmmmm:confused:

I know. That sounds crazy but I've had two buddies that use WD-40 on V-Belts too!
(I wouldn't and too - I know that the carrying agent in it seems to "digest" silicon plastic products)