Clutch cable stuck engaged?

grunt720

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

So yesterday I had a bit of an embarrassing episode. I figured I would brave the new ice on the roads on my bike to get to class however I ended up going down at aprox 6mph on a icy patch. Mostly just lost pride, however in the process my clutch handle broke off so I had to get it home in my friends truck. Once I got it home and started looking at it I realized the cable was super tight, to the point I could not disengage the clutch to shift. After some messing with it, looking for kinks and pulling it seemed to be working again. However when i pull the cable out it does not seem to snap back into place when I release it, it seems sticky. I am able to shift, where I couldn't before, but at the same time is doesn't seem to matter if the clutch is engaged or not. Furthermore when I go to shift into first with the clutch pulled out the bike jumps and stalls out. Any thoughts? If i had to guess it seems to be stuck partway, if thats a thing. also I fell on the left side of my bike.:confused:

Best,

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you replace the lever with another? Or just working with a "stub"?
IF working with a stub, get a full lever first, so you have correct leverage, then follow the below suggestions.

Being you fell on the lever/perch you possibly damaged one or the other. You may have PHYSICALLY KINKED the internal, working cable with the tip over as well.

You going to have to disconnect the cable at the lever and check the lever/perch movement.

If that's ok, disconnect the other end (by the engine) of the cable so its totally free and pull back and forth. I'd lube while that's apart.

There's not much else to check/fix.

Please post back what you find...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, a tip / trick from my MX racing days;

When you tighten the clutch perch to the handle bars, DO NOT TIGHTEN the clamp fully down .(this can apply to your front brake as well)

You want it tight enough that it won't move under normal operation BUT loose enough it'll ROTATE with the lever should you drop the bike.

You may bust the ball off the end, but most times, your lever will be there. Just smack it back in line with the palm of your hand..

An easy and effective way to keep from being stranded from a tip over..

Last edited:

grunt720

Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished attaching the clutch lever, it feels like the clutch cable is tight still, it hardly re engages when I release the level. I am able to role the bike in first with the clutch pulled in, however it feels like the clutch may be still engaged, the bike rolls with a large amount of effort, like the wheels don't want to turn. I'm going to take a look at the cable tonight

grunt720

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I was checking that. It appears to be functioning, however its sluggish snapping back in place, due to the cable resistance it seems. Maybe I'll pick up a new cable? What I cant understand is if the cable is moving the arm down on the clutch cover, what the issue could be.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the cable is damaged internally.

You can disconnect the cable at both ends (perch and engine-don't remove yet) and see how easily it moves.

Your tip over wouldn't have hurt the clutch internally at all, so its an easy fix.

I would strongly recommend a GENUINE Yamaha cable. Most of the knock off's don't fit right and stretch excessively.

BTW, the manual calls for pulling the tank , air box, etc (generally a PIA) for cable replacement.

There's ONE zip tie keeper inside the left frame rail that secures the cable to the frame. Its NOT needed and can be (very tight) cut off. You can now remove that cable W/O removing ANYTHING.. .Simply snaking the new cable back thru the same openings.

And no, that zip tie removal won't hurt anything. Mine's been gone about 4 years, the cable isn't going anywhere.

grunt720

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for all the help. I just ordered a new cable, I'll update when I've installed it. the only thing I'm confused about is even when I manually turn the lever down on the clutch cover and go into 1st the bike still stalls. Does this mean it may be an issue with the clutch?

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for all the help. I just ordered a new cable, I'll update when I've installed it. the only thing I'm confused about is even when I manually turn the lever down on the clutch cover and go into 1st the bike still stalls. Does this mean it may be an issue with the clutch?

There's a clutch lever safety switch under the perch. Without that lever pulled IN, it'll STALL. I suspect it was extended at the time.

BTW, unless you put a pliers on the engine clutch lever, you won't have enough leverage at the engine.

I doubt its an issue but inspect the switch under the clutch perch. Make sure the two wires are connected, the switch pin goes in and out and the plastic isn't broke.

As noted earlier, you could have destroyed the lever and cable with the tip over, it won't affect the engine clutch lever or the clutch itself

Last edited:

grunt720

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again, but yeah, I have already checked the connection under the clutch perch its in working order. I'll just have to wait for the new cable I guess

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd start looking at removing that cable tie as its very, very tight there. The cable replacement with the tie gone, MUCH EASIER...

That is unless you want to pull the tank, air cleaner assembly, etc.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+ 1 on the above post. Genuine cable is well worth the investment and remove the bloody cable tie. This turns a one and a half hour job into a thirty minute job.
If installing a brand new cable a good pre lube with clean motor oil will pay dividends when carrying out routine follow up maintenance.

Nelly