Collar-fork spacing on front wheel

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, all --

I just replaced the front wheel on my 2007 FZ6 and was putting things back together. I put the wheel on with the spacers in the appropriate places (one on each side, even put the spacer for each side back on the side it came), put the axle and brakes on hand-tight, compressed the forks a few times to seat everything, and then torqued the axle down to 52 ft-lb.

There is a slight gap now between the collar ridge and the edge of the fork. If I squeeze the forks together, I can close the gap. From reading other forums, it seems like this gap is normal and not a big issue, and that i should tighten the pinch bolt at wherever everything sits when just resting naturally.

So, what would you do? Is this gap normal? Do I just tighten it?

Also, should I take the bike off the center stand before tightening the pinch bolt?

Thanks!
Andy

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, all --

I just replaced the front wheel on my 2007 FZ6 and was putting things back together. I put the wheel on with the spacers in the appropriate places (one on each side, even put the spacer for each side back on the side it came), put the axle and brakes on hand-tight, compressed the forks a few times to seat everything, and then torqued the axle down to 52 ft-lb.

There is a slight gap now between the collar ridge and the edge of the fork. If I squeeze the forks together, I can close the gap. From reading other forums, it seems like this gap is normal and not a big issue, and that i should tighten the pinch bolt at wherever everything sits when just resting naturally.

So, what would you do? Is this gap normal? Do I just tighten it?

Also, should I take the bike off the center stand before tightening the pinch bolt?

Thanks!
Andy

Your pretty much correct. Push up and down hard on the front forks and then tighten the axle fully. Then the pinch nut where the fork is resting on its own. The manual (page 4-9, Yamaha shop manual) doesn't mention taking it off the centerstand, I would just tighten the pinch bolt once the forks find their sweet spot.

PM sent

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you! Followed your advice and it seems to run great.

I love the new tires - as others have said, its amazing how bad your tires get without noticing, and the installment of new rubber makes a world of difference.

(I mounted PR2s, but my comment was just the difference between *old* and *new*, so hopefully we don't start a tire thread! :))

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you! Followed your advice and it seems to run great.

I love the new tires - as others have said, its amazing how bad your tires get without noticing, and the installment of new rubber makes a world of difference.

(I mounted PR2s, but my comment was just the difference between *old* and *new*, so hopefully we don't start a tire thread! :))

Excellent!!!

I think I prefer PR2's over the III's as well.

Let the tire thread battle begin!!!!! :D