Comfortable Motorway/Highway cruising speeds

Paulie Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Folks, Jumping from a GSXR 750, to FZ6, it obvious that the fz6 will be more buzzy on motorways than fully faired bike.
On my GSXR 750 I'd glance at the clock and would be doing 80 mph, It felt like 30 mph in real time.

Hopped on fazzy the other day felt like I was going 120 mph, when I was going 80! lol Just something to get used too! Blah
What are you lads and lassies comfortable cruising speeds?

Next mod will be a taller screen, being 6"2 me thinks me need one.

Hope ya'll had a great crimbo!

ps, R.I.P Lemmy.. Legend!

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is naked, 80 is fine. From what I hear most problems guys have with fairings are caused by the fairings. A constant flow of air is much easier to deal with than turbulence.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
I've found 55mph-65mph is a doable cruising speed for a few hours of riding. Any longer/higher speeds than that I'd want weighted bar ends, taller windscreen, beefier foot pegs, the works. The FZ isn't a very good stock tourer. :) My .02 cents. Cheers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried the stock screen, Puig double bubble, and a cut down stock screen. I prefer the cut down stock screen as it allows for less buffeting. I'm only 5'11" I can imagine this effect would be even more pronounced if I were taller.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
80-85mph is comfortable for me, that's right at 5500 revs which is the onset of the 4cyl vibes. Oh, as well I went up one on the CS sprocket so now my speedo is right on. ODO is now off, oh well I guess you cant have it all. I'm 6' 1" and I've spent hundreds on windscreens sadly. What works for me is the PUIG race with about 1" cut off the top. The clean air hits about the bottom of my helmet with my body shielded. IMO that is ideal.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using puig touring screen on my 2005. It's fine for my height, maybe I'll add a mra x-creen to it for extra protection.
My height is 185 centimeters.

My best comfy speed is 130-150 km/s (80-90 mph)

C5303 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Anywhere between 115 - 140 km/h (6-8000 rpm) (70-80 mp/h) is comfortable.

Major Tom, I don't know how you're doing 5500 rpm at 80 mp/h. Std gearing gives 90 km/h at 5000 rpm. (55 mp/h)

JJS209

Rider / Mechanic
Reaction score
fz6-fazer.gp-bikes.de
paulie, maybe you add a poll on this topic/thread.
then we got a statistik for your question ;)

btw: i am 176cm tall or small and use a Puig Racing windscreen.

Last edited:

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
My mistake. It's winter here and my memory.......what was I saying? 80MPH is a little under the vibe zone, so the RPM must be 6800 or so. I'll remember this spring.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On longer trips I've put in 500+ mile days on the interstate at a consistent 80 mph. My normal interstate cruising speed is 70-80. I increased the front sprocket to a 17t instead of the stock 16t. That helped immensely along with the saeng windscreen spoiler I put on the windscreen. This type - https://www.saeng.com/dproduct.php?id=583&category=72
I did a review on the windscreen a while back. Here it is. http://www.600riders.com/forum/product-reviews/52927-saeng-wing-tip-review.html?highlight=tejkowskit

catzo

Reaction score
Visit site
I second replacing the windscreen. The stock one is way too small for touring.

If its an open country road and theres no cops in sight I cruise at around 180kmh. I have the puig windscreen. I don't notice a huge difference in vibration or comfort between 120 and 180. Now, over 200 is a different story.
But most of the time on a major highway I won't go much over 120 just because I don't want to lose my licence.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your fuel MPG really goes downhill at 80 and above. When I'm travelling long distance, fuel range is very important to me, I'd rather stop once than twice. And I hate stopping!

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if it helps but my Fazer had a big screen, as did my gsx before it so was also able to tuck in at speed/wind.
Since hopping to a naked bike it was hard at first doing the same speed, lots of buffeting. Simple solution for me was a new helmet a carbon fibre one (HJC RHPA 10+) which has done me the world of good, especially when going 130+ on track.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Your fuel MPG really goes downhill at 80 and above. When I'm travelling long distance, fuel range is very important to me, I'd rather stop once than twice. And I hate stopping!

I hate going slow. So an extra gas stop is no big deal.

What do you consider bad gas mileage? I can still get 40mpg at 80.

This space intentionally left blank.

fate

Reaction score
Visit site
I hate going slow. So an extra gas stop is no big deal.

What do you consider bad gas mileage? I can still get 40mpg at 80.

Same here. Also gas is dirt cheap in the US.

I don't know how you guys even care about MPG ;)

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Same here. Also gas is dirt cheap in the US.

I don't know how you guys even care about MPG ;)

Well I never really worry about fuel mileage on a motorcycle. Any savings is offset by tire prices.

I think Mr Vegas hates stopping for gas. This is a feeling shared by many long distance riders. I on the other hand, enjoy going fast, so I will endure an extra fuel stop.