Crankcase Oil Drain be welded? Newby Needs Advice.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
I have a chance to buy a Kawasaki Klr650 for 800 dollars and it has only 11,000 miles on it.

The only problem is a rock hit the oil drain plug and put a hole in the crankcase. The owner used jbweld and it has held for 3000km without leaking.
Can no longer use the drain plug to drain the oil have to suck it out or tip the bike on its side.

I am thinking a welder could weld the case if the bike was drained and turned upside down. Maybe put in a new drainplug (helicoil?)

Any advice? Is 800.00 a good buy, other than this the bike is fine.

He says the damage was about the size of a Canadian Loonie and that it is right where the oil drain is, he says he cant use the drain plug to drain the oil anymore so I guess that got damaged and he must have JBwelded it.

He did say you would only have to replace the case on that side if one were to go that route, but I imaging that would be very $$$.

2002klr650.jpeg

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A few things to consider and research before doing this:

It is likely that the part in question can be repaired; a good welding shop with TIG/GTAW/Heliarc could weld the material no problem. However, welding the materials and fixing the damaged area are sometimes two completely different things. There are a number of scenarios where the welder will need to get behind the damaged area depending on the thickness of the material. Also, for a good weld, all oils and residues will have to be removed which may be difficult with the engine cases still installed on the bike. My suggestion would be to contact a local welding facility and talk the repair over with them. I would go even further to suggest taking a few pictures of the damage to show to the shop guys; this way you know exactly what you are getting yourself into.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I havent ever looked at prices for the parts but I would think that just replacing it would be fairly cheep just because of how common klrs are

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Welding aluminum is tricky under clean and controlled conditions. Trying to weld an area that will be spewing contamination (oil vapor and fumes) will be very difficult, especially without being able to properly preheat the surrounding metal. In other words, be prepared to be disappointed with any attempted welding, it might actually leak more! Replacing the LH crankcase half is probably not financially sound.

Might be best to either talk him down to a salvage price or just avoid this bike entirely. Unless you are set on picking up a KLR, then this might be a good bike for spare parts only...

Give the guy credit for being honest about the bikes condition. :thumbup:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not sure, but I think you have to pull the engine to replace it. Somebody chime in if I am wrong but I am pretty sure thats the case.

Last edited:

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
I bought the bike for $600. It runs perfect and in really good shape. He was the original owner and also tossed in some soft luggage and a full tank of gas.

After closed inspection to day it needs a new clutch lever and a rad guard, other than that nothing needed. Runs well fires right up. A few dings and scratches but it has been used for its intended purpose. Very low KM.

Here are some pictures, as you can see he liked JBWELD alot! Going to be fun splitting that case open! He has put alot km with that jbweld and no leaks but I would feel better fixing it right,

DSCF3041.JPG

DSCF3044.JPG

DSCF3045.JPG

DSCF3047.JPG

DSCF3048.JPG

DSCF3049.JPG

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Or you could just leave it and closely monitor the JB Weld, it might hold up for a long time. If it blows and ruins the engine the worst you are out is $600.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats true besides its a klr its bullet proof and the jb weld is proof of that lol

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk