Digital display not working

tommy2bellies

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
has anyone experienced any problems with thier digital display?
I recently bought an '05 FZ6 N and the display has started to become very erratic and is hard to read now so you don't know what speed you are doing:rockon:

I stripped it down as far as possible but it is a sealed unit. I blew air through it with a compressor and there is some residual water inside:eek: so I guess it has caused the problem.

Is there a fix for this or am I looking at a new unit?:(

Tom

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Dry it out as much as possible and clean all exposed wires with ISOPROPYL alcohol. I'm very sure this will fix the problem, because I remember a time when I dropped an electronic LCD phone thingy in the lake!! It had a screwed-up screen, but I did exactly what I just told you; let it dry and cleaned it with alcohol.

It worked just fine after that and nobody found out about my late-night swim!! He he heeee...

Uhhh...in case that doesn't solve the problem...you might need to purchase a new speedo (clock). Make sure you specifically get an:

European 04-06 FZ6 N Speedo. I checked the wiring diagram and found the ABS and FAIRED models have different wiring schematics.

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
One thing that you can do is to seal your speedo in a plastic bag with some of those moisture collecting pouch things (can't think of what they are called at the moment). You could probably find them at some kind of packaging store. I hope it works. It would really stink if you had to buy an new one.

X

tommy2bellies

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I might try the silia gel idea first, then the acohol if that doesn't work I will drink some alcohol :iconbeer:and consider my options;)

I called a Yamaha dealer today and they quoted me £404.20:eek:

Any more ideas?

tommy2bellies

Reaction score
Visit site
I have just tried the alcohol but it has had no effect.:( so here goes the silica gel in a bag.

Just found a second hand one from a breakers for the £205 of my hard earned pounds:eek:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
It just needs to dry out. Modern electronics aren't made of materials that are permanently damaged by water. Just give it time.

Put it somewhere warm and dry (on top of a water heater works) and it'll dry out in a few days.

Hope this helps.

tommy2bellies

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks,

I think I might just strip the unit off completely and place in the oven
at about 230 degrees and gently roast until golden brown:jawdrop: Only joking.

I will piut it on the hot water cylinder for a few days and see what develops.

Tom

tommy2bellies

Reaction score
Visit site
Just thought I would update any one that's interested in the problem I have had with my digital clock.

Unfortunately I have tried every solution and it did not work so I have taked the plunge and bought a new clock:( £367.00

Still it's working perfectly now. I couldn't get out and ride the bike without the clock as I didn't know how fast I was going:rolleyes:

All I need now is to find someone who can correct the mileage on the clock.