Dropped my bike again. :-(

I'm in a similar boat - inexperienced rider. I dread that situation. It's on my mind constantly as something to look out for. I'd say those like us are in need of some more controlled environment practice. Everyone can always use some extra practice, right?

As long as you're ok, don't get discouraged! I can't imagine riding in SF being easy at all. I hate driving up there (still haven't ventured a ride yet).

I'm in a similar boat - inexperienced rider. I dread that situation. It's on my mind constantly as something to look out for. I'd say those like us are in need of some more controlled environment practice. Everyone can always use some extra practice, right?

As long as you're ok, don't get discouraged! I can't imagine riding in SF being easy at all. I hate driving up there (still haven't ventured a ride yet).

Any empty parking lot will do. Work on the basic fundamentals, braking, cornering, swerving, slow tight turns. But you must know how to use and then apply the proper technique, otherwise you're just developing bad habits or just simply doing it wrong. This is why everyone who graduates from the BRC must continue to practice on their own bikes.

When you take the BRC, you are leaving with the basic mental and physical bag of tools so that you can use and apply them out in the real world. We cannot guarantee your safety, it's up to you and take these basic fundamentals and build it from there.

And if there is any consolation, yes, I have even dropped my bike.

Last edited:
Not necessarily true. You can still brake while turning but this requires more skill and finess and is reserved for more advanced riders. Yes we initially teach you and the proper cornering techinique which is to do your braking before you begin your corner, but if you take more advance classes, you will also learn how to brake while turning or cornering.

I was under the impression from what we were told that any DECREASE in speed while cornering will cause the bike to highside and flip you off.

Kind of inappropriate to tell someone something that you find out later isn't true. It should have been explained as, don't do or attempt it until you are an advanced rider and not: If you do it, you WILL crash.

instructors seem to like to talk about extreme scenarios, they assume you are going around the corner at the maximum speed your tyre grip will allow, in actual fact the limiting factor is usually the rider

that said i don't suggest trying to go around a corner and then slamming on the anchors

i often reduce my speed using back brake or gently easing off the throttle when cornering, and incresing speed once it starts to open up. I usually try and take them at an approriate speed, better to enter a little to slow than too hot.

Though some stuff they teach you is true, most of the time if you don't think you will make a corner, then you will, you just need to countersteer harder and trust the bike (unless you are grinding the pegs already!)

I was under the impression from what we were told that any DECREASE in speed while cornering will cause the bike to highside and flip you off.

Kind of inappropriate to tell someone something that you find out later isn't true. It should have been explained as, don't do or attempt it until you are an advanced rider and not: If you do it, you WILL crash.

the whole idea of the brc is to get to know how to ride safe and maintain control of your bike in the beging of your riding career, not to teach you how to go into a corner so fast that you need to scrub off speed in doing so if they gave new riders ideas like that there would probably be quite a few less beginer riders going on to their next bike. same reason they dont teach sexually education to 5th graders lol:spank:

the whole idea of the brc is to get to know how to ride safe and maintain control of your bike in the beging of your riding career, not to teach you how to go into a corner so fast that you need to scrub off speed in doing so if they gave new riders ideas like that there would probably be quite a few less beginer riders going on to their next bike. same reason they dont teach sexually education to 5th graders lol:spank:

Bad analogy. Sex Ed IS taught in 5th grade.

I know what you mean but....That's like saying "If you leave your computer on 24/7 it will break," when in fact it won't. It's NOT recommended to do so but it definately is possible.

Cycle School, huh!:spank: Really, I'm sure you just misunderstood. This may hold true when you were practicing RE14, braking quickly in a corner. You must get the bike straight, with the handlebars square before you begin braking, or you may experience a low or high side crash depending on how you applied your brakes. I've seen it. Since you have your bike leaned over while cornering, your tires are providing most of it's traction for cornering, giving you a very limited amount of traction for braking. That's why you have to get that bike straightened up soon as you can if you want to apply maximum braking.

The basic fundamental to cornering is slow, look, press and roll. You have to understand that any deceleration around the corner such as rolling off the throttle will transfer the weight from the rear of the bike to the front. This will make the bike more unstable as you and the weight of the bike transfers towards the front of the bike. When you roll on the throttle, your applying power to the rear wheel, giving you more traction for cornering and adding more stability. That's why we always try to make it our objective to roll on the throttle while cornering, so we have to make sure our entry speed into the corner is slow enough, and that's acheived by slowing before each corner.

^ Yep. It's called "trail-braking". I do it all the time, I also keep one finger on the front brakes while entering a blind corner...if you have to slow/stop mid-corner the key is to apply LIGHT brakes while bringing the bike up and square before applying more brakes.

Also dragging the rear brakes when making a 90 degree turn at an intersection can steady your drive chain and on/off throttle for a smoother, safer turn. It does take practice. :thumbup:

Big +1 :rockon:

Be aware though this can increase the angle of your lean if you are doing this at slightly higher speeds. (say 40mph+) This is normal, just don't be surprised by it.

If you don't have too many friends to ride with go to Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup there are a lot of groups there. Join one of the motorcycle groups. I have gotten a lot of useful tips this way.

+1 on a dirt bike... different but nice for learning basics on how motorcycles react to all sorts of different situations, without the risk of hitting cars or totalling your road bike. My dirt background has saved me at least half A dozen time on the road.

BRC +1 as well, also OP in your MSF course they didn't teach you to use both breaks??

It seems to be a common behavior...every month or so, I end up in a situation where I drop my bike. It seems most common when I'm slowing behind a person in front of me, check to my right or left for oncoming traffic and begin to merge. I'll then see a car closing in on the merging lane and I hit the brakes, causing me to tumble off the bike. No damage to me at all, but I just had some damage replaced on my bike and now it's scraped up again. :-(

I'm getting a little discouraged, this makes 5 drops since I got the bike in March? I don't want to give up on riding, but if this is telling me I'm a bad rider maybe I should stop. I do love riding my bike tho. :-(

You have a few more drops to go until you reach me. Dropped my bike about 8 times. Pretty much all my drops happened in like the first 2 months of riding, mostly practicing turning tight circles. i would stall out the bike then the bike would fall over cause it had no power. It took a while before i got used to working with a clutch.

Once, i drop my bike like you in a parking lot because I had my front tire turned when i braked. I was about to do a tight turn and a car made an unexpected move to go right in front of me. I just braked instantly without thinking. I knew of course that you should always have you front wheel straight, but in those instances were something unexpected quickly happens you aren't thinking anything you are just responding.

Knowing what you should be doing isn't enough. You have to practice, practice and then practice more until your responses are programmed into your mind because when unexpected things happen all your "thinking" goes out the window and you will respond automatically that is why you got to grind techniques deep into your mind to make the right responses automatic.

You have a few more drops to go until you reach me. Dropped my bike about 8 times. Pretty much all my drops happened in like the first 2 months of riding, mostly practicing turning tight circles. i would stall out the bike then the bike would fall over cause it had no power. It took a while before i got used to working with a clutch.

Once, i drop my bike like you in a parking lot because I had my front tire turned when i braked. I was about to do a tight turn and a car made an unexpected move to go right in front of me. I just braked instantly without thinking. I knew of course that you should always have you front wheel straight, but in those instances were something unexpected quickly happens you aren't thinking anything you are just responding.

Knowing what you should be doing isn't enough. You have to practice, practice and then practice more until your responses are programmed into your mind because when unexpected things happen all your "thinking" goes out the window and you will respond automatically that is why you got to grind techniques deep into your mind to make the right responses automatic.

In your case, you should have used your rear brake. There are times, it's best to use only the rear brake. It takes a lot of finess and muscle memory if you choose to use the front brake while your handle bars are at a full locked position.

Everything that has been discussed here on this thread all comes back to using your mental skills. Your decision on how you apply your technique will ultimately determine your outcome. Once again, muscle memory. So if you find yourself doing slow tight turns and you need to slow down, drag that rear brake and don't grab the front brake. That's a split second decision that should come naturally, you shouldn't have to think, you just do it. And the only way to acheive this is yes, practice, practice, practice.

I am glad to see that you figured out why foward momentum is so critical when you are doing these convenience skills. I use the word convenience becuase doing slow tight turns, in general will not save your life like swerving or braking. It's a matter of turning your bike around between the fuel pumps. You will either be able to ride it, or walk it. Or doing a U-turn on the street, or just simply go around the block. It's a convenience skill.

Hey folks, I actually have taken the MSF course, but I'm a new rider still (only been about 6 months since I've been on an actual bike). I think I need to practice my rear braking as I rarely use those. Thanks for all the tips everyone, I was just getting really discouraged and wondering if this was even the right thing for me anymore, which was really bumming me out. I love riding my bike and do so any chance I get (I even commute to work on it when I don't have to).
Fair play for perseverance. You will get there, at least you have acknowledged a problem and you are taking steps to rectify it.

Good luck

Nelly

Have you taken a motorcycle safety course? I would strongly suggest this if you have not. They will teach you how to stop the bike quickly without dropping it, as well as many other things you don't even know you need to know.

+1 The MSF courses rock. Just do it.

Zipper

I agree with the suggestion to get some time on a dirt bike. My first street bike was a big v4 and I never came close to dropping it. However, I had ridden dirt bikes before riding the street and the transition was very comfortable.

If we lived closer, I would gladly ride with you and try to resolve the issue. Maybe someone here lives close enough to help. Good luck.

Back