Dumb question: does my 2011 FZ6 S2 have ABS?

phario

Reaction score
Visit site
I will come out an ask a dumb question: how do you know whether your bike has ABS?

From what I understand, all the European models after 2009 have ABS. However, I can't spot any indicator light on mine (does it only come on if the ABS is malfunctioning?). I can't recognize whether the ABS disc is present or not (what does it look like?). According to the Haynes techbook, there should be an electronic sensor near the front/rear discs. I'm not at home at the moment, but the dash resembles this:

yamaha-fz6-fazer-s2-abs-04.jpg

Can someone educate me on what is the main component(s) that indicate that ABS is present?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might want to break out your owners manual and read it.

You should really know what ALL your dash warning lights are for..

It may come on when it's activated but I'd bet it also comes on if the unit is MALFUNCTIONING(more importantly)..

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
They still sell FZ6's? Cool! Like the other post showed with a picture there will be a segmented ring incorporated with a front brake disc with an electrical cable. This counts the rotational speed of the wheel and compares it to the vehicle speed. If it's there you have it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a 2011 FZ6. Last production year was 09. However there have been many variants of the FZ6 since then, FZ6- R, FZ-8 and so on.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's not the R (with fairings), some countries make the YEAR of the bike as the year it is SOLD...

It could be literally a 2009 model that sat for 2 years BEFORE being sold in 2011, thus a 2011 model.

For the OP, can you post a full picture of your bike?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know the FZ6 was sold in Europe longer than Stateside, and I have definately seen FZ6's being listed as 2011 (year of registration) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_FZ6 .

With reference to your photo there should be a ABS red light on the left of the bottom row of lights, which I don't see in your picture. Maybe you have an imported bike, I also remember that some naked models didn't have ABS as standard.

Broody's link shows the front hub.

Hope this helps in some way. Also if you post a pic of your bike we'll definately know which model it is.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the ABS light (the 1 show the location):

50bb91e9084fd4fa7c5e3579cf2f6a7d.jpg

The light should light up for 2 seconds when you turn the ignition on. It should be permanently on in case of an ABS failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phario

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the delay everybody. I had to get back from holidays to actually inspect the bike.

The weird thing is that no, it doesn't have the ABS light on the dash.

Here's the ABS light (the 1 show the location):

50bb91e9084fd4fa7c5e3579cf2f6a7d.jpg

The light should light up for 2 seconds when you turn the ignition on. It should be permanently on in case of an ABS failure.

Here is a picture of the bike:

9nHANvG.jpg

So I can confirm that there is no wire going into the hub as in broody's picture:

So it seems that the motorcycle does not come with ABS as I had thought. According to the registration though, this is indeed a 2011 model, so it could be as TownsendsFJR13000 had said and:

If it's not the R (with fairings), some countries make the YEAR of the bike as the year it is SOLD...

It could be literally a 2009 model that sat for 2 years BEFORE being sold in 2011, thus a 2011 model.

Is there a way to find out what year the bike was manufactured? I suppose I could always pay for those VIN lookup services...

By the way, some people noted that I should refer to the manual. The manual of the bike is for both ABS and non-ABS versions. I should have tried to inspect the dashboard light earlier though.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That WHITE STICKER, up by your the front of your fuel tank, attached to the frame SHOULD show the
actual manufacture date.

*Looking at the rear peg's, it's an 07, 08 or 09 (at least per US standards).

Ordering parts (we didn't have the naked option, nor the immobilizer here)
for those years (say at Partzilla, etc) would be fine..

Your bike is also referred to as a S2.

(I really like the color scheme, especially in the naked version)

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu

Just like that, if your front and rear disk look just like that, you have ABS.

For the OP, can you post a full picture of your bike?

Mine is a 2014 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2 ABS, bought it brand new in 2014.

"V"

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a VIN decoder.

Read this section:
Characters 10 – 17
These characters are known as the Vehicle Identifier Section. The 10th character indicates the marketing model year of the vehicle, not to be confused with the year of production. For example a 2014 Honda CBR600RR most likely has a date of production in 2013 – it was produced for the 2014 marketing year. Characters 11 through 17 indicate the assembly.

Mine was manufactured and sold in 08 and that is the 10th character in my VIN.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the delay everybody. I had to get back from holidays to actually inspect the bike.

The weird thing is that no, it doesn't have the ABS light on the dash.

Here is a picture of the bike:

9nHANvG.jpg

So I can confirm that there is no wire going into the hub as in broody's picture:

Love those colours :drool:

So it seems that the motorcycle does not come with ABS as I had thought. According to the registration though, this is indeed a 2011 model, so it could be as TownsendsFJR13000 had said and:

Is there a way to find out what year the bike was manufactured? I suppose I could always pay for those VIN lookup services...

By the way, some people noted that I should refer to the manual. The manual of the bike is for both ABS and non-ABS versions. I should have tried to inspect the dashboard light earlier though.

In the service manual (found on the Russian Fazerclub website) it refers to the models it's talking about, on Pg 1-14 it refers to the models with ABS being FZ6-SAHG, FZ6-NAHG, FZ6-NA & FZ6-SA. If you don't know which model yours is you can find out using your VIN number. My local garage just typed my VIN number in his computer to find the correct model number so he could order the correct rear disk. I don't know if there is a UK site where you can look up your VIN, but you can always ask your dealer / garage.

BTW I found some info on a UK forum explaining the differences in model numbers Model numbers

Last edited: