Dutch “code of conduct” for motorists

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As I have previously stated the Dutch have a code of conduct for motorists, this is relevant for cage drivers and motorbike riders alike. Although it is not "the law" in the strictest term it has and can be refered to in a court of law. My source is politieinfo.nl (police information) see this link if you understand Dutch: Infopolitie Website - Samenspel in de file - gedragscode voor filerijders. Otherwise you'll have to make do with my translation which follows:

Dutch “code of conduct” for motorists

Traffic-jams cost much time to the motorist. it costs still more time when motorbike riders must join the same long queue, or when motorbike riders would choose the car instead of the motorbike. By giving space and attention to motorbike riders, the motorist also profits. How space and attention can be given to motorbike riders and which “game rules” apply to road users, has been set down in a code of conduct. The main point is that by working together it all goes quicker and safer! For several reasons motorbikes profit by passing a traffic-jam and stationary or slowly moving cars. One of which is of vital importance: safety. Without crumple-zones, bumpers and airbags it has been established that motorbikes stopped behind a line of cars are very vulnerable in a bumper to bumper collision. Moreover bike riders and their machines can become overheated.

Since 1991 it has been no longer prohibited to slowly ride between traffic-jams. Because it is possible to pass in a lot of ways, game rules have been agreed concerning how to safely pass a car traffic-jam.
Advantages: you can assess each other's behaviour better and by means of 'teamwork' you can prevent irritation and accidents as much as possible. These “game rules” form together a code of conduct, which is supported by the most important organisations in the field of road safety (in Holland).

“Game rules” for the motorbike riders :

motorbike riders must stick to a number of “game rules” if they come across a traffic-jam of cars. In general it must be taken into account that motorbike riders are poorly visible to motorists and that motorists generally have trouble judging the speed of motorbikes. The code of conduct says that riding between the traffic-jam is only permitted by a stationary or slowly moving traffic-jam. As soon as the traffic-jam drives faster than 40 km/h the motorbike should no longer drive between the lanes and must join the moving traffic. The code of conduct recommends only riding between the first and second traffic lane, this means the two most left lanes. Riding between the two most Right lanes is dissuaded.
1. Appropriate speed
Ride slowly between the traffic-jam, this means that the speed difference between the motorbike and the car which you pass can be no higher than 10 km/u. apply this rule of thumb for every car which you pass. High speed differences are the most important source of irritation to motorists and may cause dangerous responses.
2. Be alert for dangerous behaviour
two important actions which are dangerous to motorbike riders are:
a. Spaces in the traffic-jam where motorists suddenly change lanes;
b. During warm periods, opening doors of cars.
3. Multiple motorbike riders
If riding with more Motorbikes, keep calm and ride slowly behind each other through the traffic-jam. Keep at least two cars distance between the motorbikes. Choose the same route as the bike in front.
4. Approaching a traffic-jam
When approaching a traffic-jam use your mirrors to keep an eye on traffic behind you that does not reduce speed quick enough. Gradually reduce your own speed and warn the traffic behind you with hazard lights (or brake lights). To prevent confusion to motorists use no indicators or hazard lights whilst travelling through the traffic-jam. At highways with more than two traffic lanes, you should take position between the two most left traffic lanes.
5. Stopping in traffic-jam
If you are the last vehicle in the traffic-jam, use hazard lights or brake lights clearly, to indicate that your motorbike is positioned at the back of the traffic-jam. Sometimes motorists notice the traffic-jam however often miss the motorbike behind the traffic-jam. Leave sufficient distance to your predecessor and try if possible to join the waiting cars, as this is safer.
6. End of traffic-jam
As soon as the traffic-jam gains speed, joint the traffic lane between the cars. Use your indicator in time before joining the traffic lane.

Where is a motorbike rider forbidden to ride

Riding through the traffic-jam is allowed but whilst passing cars in the traffic jam you are not allowed to ride on the:
· Hard shoulder, this is the lane reserved for assistance.
· Narrow outside lane, on the extreme left intended as buffer between the left hand lane and the left hand crash barrier; here it is often strewn with debris.
· Specific group lane for: buses, trucks or trams
· Wedge shaped filter area with slanting lines (intended to mark an area of transition to less traffic lanes).

“Game rules” motorist

attention and space can best be given to motorbike riders in the following manner:
1. Check the movement behind you
Motorbike riders are frequently overlooked by motorists. Regular use of your mirrors is the best way to keep an eye on traffic approaching from the rear This also applies to stationary traffic where the motorist tends to be distracted (filofax, telephone etc.). A glance behind is frequently the difference between an unnoticed accident occurring or being able to avoid this by altering course or acting in another manner.
2. Use the middle of the lane
If you’re in the middle of the lane, motorbike riders approaching from the rear have generally sufficient space to pass. Motorbike riders pass in general between the traffic lanes along the interrupted line. Of course it helps if you give them more space for example by moving to the right if you’re in the right hand lane or to the left if you’re driving in the left hand lane. Changing traffic lanes is a specific action which falls under Article 54 of the “regulations for movement and traffic signs” act, during this manoeuvre you must give all other traffic priority, this includes a motorbike travelling between the lanes.
Motorists who change lane without paying attention to the traffic behind themselves are the biggest hazard to motorbike riders. as a motorist always check your mirrors before changing lanes and also be aware of motorbikes which might be in your mirrors blind spot – travelling between lanes in the traffic-jam. Warn traffic approaching from behind by using your indicators.
3. Only open your doors in absolute necessity
A traffic-jam on a warm day means that motorists or passengers sometimes open a door. For a motorcyclist this can have serious consequences. Only open a car door if absolutely necessary in any case always check in advance to check there is nobody behind you who wants to pass. For ventilation you should use air conditioning or open your windows.

The code of conduct is an urgent recommendation and is no statutory regulation. however In jurisdiction the “code of conduct” is referred to. The judge will take the “code of conduct” into consideration and let these weigh in his appraisal of the situation.
If a party does not stick to the code of conduct, then it does not mean that this party is automatically responsible for an accident. The code of conduct has been intended as “game rules” for the motorist and for of the motorbike rider (without sidecar), and apply only in stationary or slowly moving traffic on the Dutch highways. The last judgement lies, as said, with the judge.

W

wrightme43

Thats good. I wish it would be adopted here. That and filtering to the front at the stop lights.

It would make traffic flow much smoother, but it wont work here with the amout of stupids.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Despite the "code of conduct" many Dutch riders still use their hazards whilst travelling through the traffic-jam. I understand why, but it can confuse motorists, especially when they know the code well.
Does everyone else (in countries without such a code) use their hazards when passing through traffic?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Despite the "code of conduct" many Dutch riders still use their hazards whilst travelling through the traffic-jam. I understand why, but it can confuse motorists, especially when they know the code well.
Does everyone else (in countries without such a code) use their hazards when passing through traffic?

well, in my part of the country it is not allowed to ride through traffic, but if i ever did i would probably use hazard lights since i view those merely to point out that something i am doing isn't "Normal"

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
well, in my part of the country it is not allowed to ride through traffic, but if i ever did i would probably use hazard lights since i view those merely to point out that something i am doing isn't "Normal"

while i know that the fz does, do most motorcycles even have hazard's?
I dont live where traffic poses much of a problem but i would definatley use the hazards to show that i am doing something "abnormal".
also in florida a motorcycle is not required to have turn signals at all (as long as you use hand signals) so i assume not all bikes will have hazard's.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
while i know that the fz does, do most motorcycles even have hazard's?
I dont live where traffic poses much of a problem but i would definatley use the hazards to show that i am doing something "abnormal".
also in florida a motorcycle is not required to have turn signals at all (as long as you use hand signals) so i assume not all bikes will have hazard's.

it is becoming a more prevalent feature on a lot of newer bikes.

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife's 2002 Honda Magna does not have hazards. My 2000 Yamaha V-Star didn't either.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think they should even though i haven't had to use mine (except to check bulbs)

I think suzuki's all have it past 2004, The FZ has them, the new R6 has them (i believe)and i thinkany of the newly redesigned yami's will have it as well. I think it is a great feature and SHOULD be included on the bikes as they come out down the road