ECU replace

pil

Reaction score
Visit site
Good day guys hope you could help me.
I bought a 2004 fz6, I was riding on a heavy rain and suddenly my bike died.
I checked everything and noticed my ECU has water coming out, since it was already repaired and was not sealed properly. Now i dry it and plug it in, still no luck.

- can I replace the ECU only? (Mine has the immo)
- can the ECU be repaired that it has a water damage.

Thank you guys

Attachments

• IMG_20221221_114558.jpg
    IMG_20221221_114558.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20221221_122939.jpg
    IMG_20221221_122939.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 32

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Electronics that have shorted due to water damage can be repaired, but you need to examine each circuit and measure component. If you can't do this yourself it is usually cost prohibitive.

There are many ECU's available on eBay.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since you have the immobilizer set up you may be able to use a US, version and not have the theft protection. getting another ECU with immo will require a marriage ceremony. That ECU was already named Lazarus and I believe it would not be economically prudent to try to trouble shoot and repair it. It looks like there was a switching transistor replaced (probably a coil controller)

The only thing I would do with this is to blow dry with compressed air and put it in a bag of rice for a few days. Blow it off again and reinstall to see if it might have dried out enough to work. the ICs are key in this and the components may still be okay but residual moisture may be impeding logic function resulting in the ECU malfunctioning. If the ECU comes back to life reseal it!

The rice is a well known cell phone in the toilet trick, that sometime will save a phone. The rice acts like a desiccant that will suck up moisture.

pil

Reaction score
Visit site
I have dried the ECU now using hair blower. I try to run the engine. But only i few fire and wont continue running. I try to run it holding the clutch it runs fine, but once i release the clutch the engine dies. Also when putting to gear even holding the clutch the engine dies as also. Hoping some one can help me with this. Do i really need to replace my ECU.

pil

Reaction score
Visit site
Since you have the immobilizer set up you may be able to use a US, version and not have the theft protection. getting another ECU with immo will require a marriage ceremony. That ECU was already named Lazarus and I believe it would not be economically prudent to try to trouble shoot and repair it. It looks like there was a switching transistor replaced (probably a coil controller)

The only thing I would do with this is to blow dry with compressed air and put it in a bag of rice for a few days. Blow it off again and reinstall to see if it might have dried out enough to work. the ICs are key in this and the components may still be okay but residual moisture may be impeding logic function resulting in the ECU malfunctioning. If the ECU comes back to life reseal it!

The rice is a well known cell phone in the toilet trick, that sometime will save a phone. The rice acts like a desiccant that will suck up moisture.

Hi Sir. Can i use a ECU US version? Will it work?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If there is a short or open trace in the ECU, I could see how it would “think” that the side stand is down.

Here is a suggestion, inspect the connector at the ECU for corrosion, you may have an incomplete connection. Spray it with contact cleaner.