Electrical Multi-Mod

roleya

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I've been wanting to do a few of these, but never had the time to pull apart the fairing to figure out how I wanted to do it. Now that I live within bicycling distance of work, the grocery store, and pretty much anything I'm allowed to visit on the island, my motorcycle doesn't have to be in one piece every morning.

The things I'm trying to incorporate are:
Dual High and Low beams
Garage door opener
POD lights and EL wire as running/turn signals
Low beam off when turn signal on that side is blinking
Gear Indicator

And, I want to do it all without splicing the stock harness.

I was wondering if anyone would like to give some input on my design so far, and let me know if I'm overlooking something/could do it in a simpler/better way. I've added a few notes of parts used as well.

The easiest way I found to exhibit it is the falstad circuit simulator. Use the link if you'd like to see it working.

At the top left is the battery, a switch next to the positive terminal is the ignition on/off.
The switch next to Ground is whether the bike is running (closed) or not (open).
Under that is a square wave generator to simulate the turn signal relay.
The gray bars signify stock connectors. On the Left by the "turn signal relay" is the left handlebar switches you can operate.
The big one in line with "flashers" turns those on, and if you click between the L and R terminals you will switch between signalling to one side and cancelling.

The center mess is where the bulk of my work will be. The two sets of 2 gray bars indicate where I am unplugging the stock connector and inserting a "plug and play" adapter to do a bunch of stuff.

On the far left side the 714.3 Ohm resistor simulates the current draw of my garage door opener. The 2.2k Ohm I will actually add to step down the voltage to ~3V. With this setup, assuming I leave my low beams on after turning off the bike, this will automatically open the garage when I turn the bike on.

The left and right turn signals are shown with a bottom and top bulb: bottom is running and top is turn. Similarly, low beams are partially obscured by the high beams, so you only see a sliver when low is on, and you see the full bulb when high is on.

At each turn signal harness, I also plan to insert a plug and play adapter to add in the pod lights and some Electro Luminescent Wire (24 Ohm resistors to simulate, 75 Ohm will be added to step down voltage to 3V) to work as running lights and flashers.

The Gear indicator leads can be run through the existing "blanks" in the stock wiring harness.

Also, I thought it would be cool to have my headlight turn off on the same side that I'm turning so that the POD lights are more visible while flashing. However, if wanting the headlight on that side while turning in somewhere, I can use highbeams which stay on when turning.