Engine Coolant Change (Engine Ice)

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, today I did this for the first time and it took me less than one hour.
Indeed the User Manual is very descriptive and useful for this task.

Something I realized is that it is not too easy to see the coolant level!!!
I removed the coolant reservoir (actually this was what took me the longest!!!) and it was pretty dirty on the outside making it almost impossible to see the level.
Even after cleaning it, it was not that obvious until I used a flashlight on top of the reservoir!!!
View attachment 42397
View attachment 42398

I used a new coolant, which is actually manufactured locally in my area. I have heard from some people around here this product is very good, let's see.
View attachment 42399

I'm sorry for the quality of the pictures, taken at night and with my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Your coolant resevoir is at the front of the engine behind the headers? Is that normal for the 09's? My 04's is behind the engine, under the seat.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I used engine ice on my FJR. Really didnt notice a difference in felt heat. It used a bar graph display for coolant temp where the FZ uses a numerical read out so I have no idea if it actually lowered coolant temps at all.

Sent from my iPhone

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Riding today it seemed the temperature was changing rapidly based on the riding speed (air flow).

Something I also noticed today is I left the switch on after I pulled in my garage, as always the temperature starts rising fast but I left it on for some time waiting for the fan to kick in. It seemed to me after the fan kicked in then the temperature started decreasing faster, of course the bike was not running at that time.
I'll keep on looking at this.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
I used engine ice too and noticed that it helped a lot toward the top temps. Last year at the track the bike was getting to max levels and this year I still had room all day.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing to check and keep track of, living in FL it isn't as critical, is the minimum temperature it's rated for. I believe the engine ice isn't rated for the typical sub-zero temperatures that regular ethylene glycol is.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing to check and keep track of, living in FL it isn't as critical, is the minimum temperature it's rated for. I believe the engine ice isn't rated for the typical sub-zero temperatures that regular ethylene glycol is.

Engine Ice is rated to 26°F below zero :)

Grtz,

Degake

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I used engine ice too and noticed that it helped a lot toward the top temps. Last year at the track the bike was getting to max levels and this year I still had room all day.

Are you allowed to use "engine ice" at the track (track days)?

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Something I've been noticing is that now the engine temperature changes faster. It takes less time to lower the engine temperature.
Also, I don't recall engine temperatures in the high 170's while riding during a warm day!!!! I recall mid to high 180's