Engine feels weaker at altitude

johnnyg

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey friends!

So I'm a month into a two month motorcycle trip and after about 4,000 miles last month when I got into New Mexico it started getting a lot easier to stall out my trusty 2008 FZ6. Like while I'm engine breaking coming up to a light or on the highway, stuff that would I would rarely stall out on. And when I do pull out onto the highway I don't have nearly as much acceleration as I used to. My initial thought was maybe I need to check the air filter, which I still might do (stormed out in a hotel room tonight, womp).

Took it to Moto-Authority in Albuquerque today and they said it could be a combination of the ethanol in New Mexico gas and the altitude, since ABQ is at 6,000 ft and I did start noticing it when I got into the mountains 2 days ago. Everything I've read says altitude shouldn't matter on a fuel injected bike... They sold me some fuel treatment to help with the ethanol, so I'll try that out tomorrow.

Was curious if anybody else has had a similar experience?

Bonus: blog of my trip if any of you are intetested: https://tinythunk.com/blog/

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there. Stalling could be combined product of idle rpm, fuel quality (or lack of), and ya the air filter if occluded could be a factor too.

Naturally aspirated combustion engines make less power at elevation. There is less oxygen. Its just how it is. However, having had it up to 6000 plus feet I don't recall it being low on power...

In a cage I was up 8600 feet and the poor little four banger could hardly get out of harms way. It was way down on power altitude!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live at 5,500ft above sea level and when I take my bike to the coast the power increase is dramatically noticeable.

We have lower octane petrol here than at sea level but when I take the bike to sea level I don't need to make any changes to any settings, just use the higher octane fuel and enjoy the power!

BTW it's elevation, not altitude.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey friends!

So I'm a month into a two month motorcycle trip and after about 4,000 miles last month when I got into New Mexico it started getting a lot easier to stall out my trusty 2008 FZ6. Like while I'm engine breaking coming up to a light or on the highway, stuff that would I would rarely stall out on. And when I do pull out onto the highway I don't have nearly as much acceleration as I used to. My initial thought was maybe I need to check the air filter, which I still might do (stormed out in a hotel room tonight, womp).

Took it to Moto-Authority in Albuquerque today and they said it could be a combination of the ethanol in New Mexico gas and the altitude, since ABQ is at 6,000 ft and I did start noticing it when I got into the mountains 2 days ago. Everything I've read says altitude shouldn't matter on a fuel injected bike... They sold me some fuel treatment to help with the ethanol, so I'll try that out tomorrow.

Was curious if anybody else has had a similar experience?

Bonus: blog of my trip if any of you are intetested: https://tinythunk.com/blog/

AFFIRMATIVE CAPTAIN!! Elevation does it!
I live in WI, Been to Colorado twice on the FZ. I could start to feel power loss around 5,000 feet. Once you get into Denver, you know you're a Mile high. Its not a huge power loss, but you do notice those take-off's need a little more gas to get going.
Take a ride up to Pikes Peak or Mt. Evans... By 10,000ft you're wondering where half your engine went. By 14,000ft, you've been reduced to a Moped. (OK, OK, I may be exaggerating a little teeny bit... but you certainly notice the power loss)

Bump your idle up a couple or few hundred RPM. it will aid the take-offs.

ENJOY the mountain. I LOVED IT

johnnyg

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep yep, having a blast on my trip. Finally put in a new air filter in Sedona on my way to the west coast. Now that I'm back at elevation in Montana/Wyoming/Colorado I've noticed the lower power, but not as bad as before. Also have had a few fun moments going uphill against the wind and unable to get more than 7000rpm and 85mph with WOT...