Engine Removal

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
OKay, so i did a search through the forums and couldn't find it... im trying to remove my engine from he frame.. but would like to know the easiest way of doing so...

any insight will be very helpful thank you...

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Wow, that's a big undertaking! Sorry I don't know any specifics on removing the engine. Have you tried downloading a looking through the Service manual? It might at least show mounting points and connections.

If you tackle this, PLEASE post up some pics and a how too!!

joeveto

Reaction score
Visit site
I just went through this with my bike (sorry, it's not an FZ) and it's pretty straightforward...

The short of it, is you disconnect everything, unhook everything, place a jack underneath the engine, loosen the mounting bolts, and lower the engine.

Installation is opposite of removal. If you've done a lot of work on your bike, and are comfortable with processes such as rear wheel alignment, front sprocket removal, exhaust removal, etc, removing the engine is just a further step and not very difficult. In fact, the overall number of fasteners of which you need to keep track, are not many.

My first removal took around two hours, and the installation took around three (I was very cautious). To do remove my engine again, I think I could have it out in a little over an hour, and back in...maybe two?

The bold points?

Work in a well-lit area.

Make sure you work in an area where you can leave the bike, if you need to. In other words, don't work on it in an area where if you ultimately don't remove the engine, you're screwed, because the motorcycle is behind your car, or something like that.

Take your time. Don't be afraid to walk away. This is especially true during re-installation, when you have to be more precise. When I get stuck, I walk away. A breath of fresh air will do wonders for your psyche.

Any fasteners you remove, place in plastic zip lock bags, using a Sharpie, mark the bags with what the fasteners are for.

Take pictures as needed. The stuff that comes off so easily can be easily forgotten, when it comes to buttoning it back up.

Drain the coolant and oil before starting.

If your jack is of the cheap kind, and does not have a rubber protector pad, get a small piece of soft wood to use in between the engine and the jack (you don't want to scratch your engine).

When you actually remove the engine, it's a good idea to have a friend nearby to assist. An extra set of hands is a great thing.

Remember which cables are for which. If needed, use some masking tape and label each cable (like the throttle, and return cables).

In the past, I've kept a log of everything I've done. I've found this helpful when I've restored cars, that way, I can go back and read a step-by-step of what I did. If needed, it can really jog the memory.

Before re-installing the engine, do any maintenance that is difficult when it's on the bike. That can be from items as basic as cleaning the engine or the frame, to procedures like valve adjustments.

Good luck!

Last edited:

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I'm nosy! Did you crash and are just trying to sell the engine to recoup costs? Or are you replacing it with a different engine? If its the latter, there would be quite a few people on the forum interested in that extreme of a mod.

K, thanks!

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is actually not that bad to remove the engine.

First remove the exhaust system.
Then remove the tank, air box, battery, and battery box.
Disconnect any connectors, electrical and fuel. Do not forget the spark plug wires. It might be easier to get the engine out with the TB assembly removed too.
Remove drive chain.
Place jack under oil pan, with a flat block of wood to prevent scratches.
Lift jack so there is slight pressure on oil pan.
Then remove the five bolts that hold the engine.
A friend may be needed to help wiggle or lift engine out.

Granted this is not 100% guide, but it is the basics. It really is not that hard, and two people should be able to do it in and hour or two. Just do not force anything and remove as much as possible to help ease seeing connectors.

When I had my leaky head replaced under warranty, the dealer tech had the engine out in 45 minutes. I stood there and watched, granted he had a motorcycle lift, but it still did not look that difficult to do.
Good luck!