Engine sound and vibrations - excessive noise from chain and valves?

AGSTS

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, all the engine mounting bolts are torqued, CCT swapped, although the old one looked and worked just fine.

turbodan

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, all the engine mounting bolts are torqued, CCT swapped, although the old one looked and worked just fine.

The CCT may seem fine off of the bike, last one I did seemed fine too. They seem to stick from time to time though and allow the chain to make a hell of a racket until it pops loose.

AGSTS

Reaction score
Visit site
....and the result is?
Well the chain noise has not changed significantly and the vibrations seem to still be there, although I could’t test drive the bike - it was pouring rain. However, vibrations on idle still are there. Seems like running out of options.. no idea what else could cause those vibs. Now the only thing that has not been done is valve lash check.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As I mentioned above, a differential compression test (aka leak-down test) can identify problems within each individual combustion chamber. If you have a leaky valve or valve seal, a bad ring or a blown head gasket...it is all revealed during this test. I know you mentioned that you don't have access to a compressor or tester, but it might be worth bringing the bike to a shop for some useful diagnostic testing. The FZ6 has an extremely smooth engine; if yours is running rough you should understand why.

AGSTS

Reaction score
Visit site
I totally agree on this, but just out of curiosity, wouldn't leaky valve/bad ring/head gasket would cause issues with general engine performance like idling, oil consumption/leakage, loss of power etc.?
My engine runs and drives fine. I've added fuel injection system cleaner yesterday too, mainly to reject any chance of the fueling system causing or amplifying any of the vibrations.

I will be looking into leak-down test and valve checkup soon anyways, just to prevent any major breakdowns later.

AGSTS

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, back from a test ride.. wow, what a difference! I’d say 70% of the vibs are gone, it’s so smooth now compared to what it was previously. Remaining vibs are felt from 5k and up, mainly through the seat. Vibration is very high frequency, I’d say inline with engine rpms.

AGSTS

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, ran through whole tank of fuel with fuel system cleaner, nothing changed in terms of how engine works.
Vibrations are most felt at idle and 5k+ through the seat and pegs. Anything else to check before tackling valves?